Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Angry Enough to Spit Soothers....

I swear to goodness, the tough part of this job is not the tantrum throwing toddlers, the poopy diapers or the long hours - it's the frackin' parents. So I have this daycare boy in my care. He started up last year. Mum informed me this Spring that she is pregnant and due late summer. *Huge sigh here* I was REALLY hoping that this was going to be one of my "over two" kids when Bill 10 comes into effect. OK - Whatever...parents have babies and that messes with the best laid business plans - it's part of the business - I get it. So Mum told me that she would "definitely" want her kid to continue attending daycare while she is on mat leave with #2, but on a part time basis. So I went away and crunched the numbers. Even though this is an over two child (and therefore highly desirable) I just can't afford to allow a child to attend part time for a full year of mat leave. So I gave her my best offer: I'll split the pain with her - he can come part time for six months (she can choose which six months she would like - beginning or end of her mat leave) and I'll charge her $150/week. In addition, I'll manage my enrollment so that there is a space here next Sept when she returns to work for Baby #2. So, I tabled my offer and she said it all sounds good, and I actually had two stress free days. (I have been really fretting over my Fall enrollment - I'll have two under two until Jan. 2016, and I am having a terrible time finding an over two child (or two of them) to fill my spaces that will be opening up when my current older kids graduate to kindergarten in the Fall) Today - I see her posting on a number of local FB Mom/Daycare groups - asking around for part time care in the Fall. Seriously ? It's this kind of thing that just makes a person want to hang up their playpens for good. I'm meeting with a family this Thursday who have two children. I think I'll be telling them that "Yes, as a matter of fact I am in the unique position of having two spaces available for when you need them..." and giving this family the boot. It's such a shame - because they have been a great family otherwise and I was completely willing to work with them for Child #2 - but this kind of double dealing crap really gets under my skin. If you don't like what I can offer or you need to find cheaper care, that's okay. Just have the pampers to tell me to my face and we can end our contract like two adults.

Outgoing
    Honestly...if there is 1 thing I have finally learned with doing this job for sooo long...it's TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF! Because everyone else will screw you....fill the spots....

Outgoing
    There was a similar post last week with provider noticing ad on Kijiji from family who were looking into other options at the same time as in the talks with provider....very frustrating. Probably best to fill with new family if u can. However if this mom does end up staying with you, would it be better for you to have child part time for the first half of the year (you'd charge 150 per week the whole year right if I'm understanding it correctly) incase something changes in the second half of the year (like she leaves then). Then at least u wouldn't have had him fulltime for the 150. I think your offer to her was fair and kind.

Euphoric !
    If I read that correctly please do not provide one fee averaged out for a year (half full time half part time). It means you are working for free half of each week now with the expectation they will stick around the full year. No family, even the best and most honest, can guarantee they will still need your services that far in advanced. You take a HUGE risk of being screwed over.

Fill the spot with a family that truly NEEDS your full time spot. If you cannot fill it then have this family pay for the days used, as they use them.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Never give discounts/do favors. It will always bite ya in the butt and you will just resent the family.

Euphoric !
    This is a business arrangement. Whenever our service not suit a family, they will take their business elsewhere.

I understand it feels personal because it your income. I understand it feels offensive because of the human connection between carer and child. But, this family no longer want FT care, and were clear what they did want. I understand going back with your best offer to better suit your income requirement but client not obligated over stretch financially for your comfort any more than you obligated to accept their PT requirement.

Try not to take it personally. They simply making business decision. They accept your offer but will make sure that someone else not better suit their ideal. That is just good consumer - if day home was faceless big box company and we were consumer, we would likely do same. I am sure if selling home, we shop around for realtor that best suits us and not feel obligated to return to same person for future sales. We all pick and choose based on our needs now not historic relationship.

Euphoric !
    Actually the mom has every right to advertise in a way because it sounded like you offered her 6 months off and 6 months of full time attendance and if she is choosing the last half of mat leave has every right to find someone to do the first half. However assume that you won't get the kids back at all if the parent likes the fall substitute and she has spaces for both.