Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Paid Days Off

I take a wk off for my vac. That's five paid days. But the Monday, start of my vac is a stat. So I always take the fri off. One vac day. Then following wk is one stat day and four paid vac days. Works out in the end.

Outgoing
    Has anyone ever had a parent say "well you know...you have to work the day before and the day after to be paid for a stat holiday!" ps I don't get paid for vacation

No never. Is that true? In our line of work??? Huh I didn't know. But they don't say that to me. I guess my parents view me as I'm the boss my business. I'll tell u when I'm off and what to pay. If you don't agree there are plenty of daycares around

Outgoing
    I have heard that out in the business world before...but babydom...you have a great point...it is our business....we are the boss...actually if you think about it...if someone who works in an office takes a week off that has a stat holiday in it....they get another day in lieu of the stat..I just KNOW I WILL HAVE ONE PARENT THAT WILL SAY THIS TO ME....THE ONE THAT LOVES THE WORD "FREE".... LOL

Ya I'd just say sorry this is how I'm running MY business. If she is uncomfortable with the way U run things maybe she should look else where. Lol

Euphoric !
    Never had a parent say that!! My contract reads that all stats are regular fee.

Expansive...
    I think we should be paid sick days - at least 3 a year because we are constantly exposed to the runny noses and illnesses from the DCKs. I don't think it will happen until it becomes a standard and more daycares do it though.
    I don't have a provision for sick days but there have been many days during this past winter where I was working and feeling at about 30% and having a sick day would have gone a long way to helping me. I have never taken a sick day in 5 years but I get some of the same stomach bugs and illnesses that the dcks have and since we get exposed to it - we should also be considered for sick days.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spixie33 For This Useful Post:

I think that if we were all to stand together and make at least 5 vaccay day and 5 sick days the norm, then it would be the norm. unfortunately there will always be people who are trying to underhand , and allow these practices to happen.
    It is the same with daily prices, and food, crafts ect. Not to say that we should alll be the same, but if we were all to band together and say this is what we need to survive, then doesn't everyone feel that would be best?

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by sandylynn View Post
    Has anyone ever had a parent say "well you know...you have to work the day before and the day after to be paid for a stat holiday!" ps I don't get paid for vacation
    This is labour standard laws. Labour standard is to protect employees from unscrupulous employers taking advantage. This is why, if you ever have to take a parent to court for non-payment, some judge will spend time questioning what the arrangment was to determine if you really self-employed vs employee.

If someone said this to me, I would tell them that I am not their employee BUT if they wish for Labour Standard rules to apply, then they can't pick and choose which ones suit them. If they want to consider me an employee, great. They can pay min age and they can contribute to the employer part of CPP, paid leave, breaks etc.

They usually realize that they are better off as is.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spixie33 View Post
    I think we should be paid sick days - at least 3 a year because we are constantly exposed to the runny noses and illnesses from the DCKs. I don't think it will happen until it becomes a standard and more daycares do it though.
    I don't have a provision for sick days but there have been many days during this past winter where I was working and feeling at about 30% and having a sick day would have gone a long way to helping me. I have never taken a sick day in 5 years but I get some of the same stomach bugs and illnesses that the dcks have and since we get exposed to it - we should also be considered for sick days.
    I definitely agree with you. It is not the norm in my area to have any paid days off, except for stat holidays, however I have been in the same situation as far as sick days. I have worked when I have been sick before because I don't get compensated for any sick days and I can't afford taking any time off. I have been thinking of adding a few paid sick days a year into my contract.