Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What to do?

Starting to feel at home...

What to do?

So last month I did some interviews for two spots I have that are opening up in September. I do not take a deposit to hold a spot (I know it prevents this, but I still dont), I simply tell the parents that I prefer their word, and that integrity means more to me than money. If situations change, then just be upfront with me, and we can go from there. So this family that wants one of my spots, a teachers child, she does not have a placement, so she does not know what days she will need, plus doesnt want to pay for Christmas, march break and summer (which is fine, I take Christmas off anyways, and plan to take March Break off too). I say to her, "Great, I will hold the spot for you, just keep me updated on your situation, I hope you find the position of your dreams" She has an older child that will be going to JK, I am not close enough to their school to take her on (besides I don't do B/A school)anyways, I see that this teacher has poated on Kijiji that she is looking for daycare for both her children. Clearly she is just holding a spot with me, in case she cant get something else, without sharing this with me. I find this unforgivable, and I now have no intention of taking this client on. It is just my intention to fill this spot, and then let her know that it just won't work out. HOWEVER there is a part of me that would really like to point out why this won't work for me, that clearly she has no consideration or respect for me. What would you do?

I would reply to her kijiji ad and state the obvious: "hi there, remember me, we had an interview last month and I am holding a spot for September for your little one. Well I would have appreciated an email or phone call letting me know that you have decided to look elsewhere. At any rate, I wish yuou luck in your search and I will continue my interviews for my September spot. Take care."

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 3rdtimesacharm For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    IMO, you give her no reason to tell you she's looking at other options. All you asked her to do was keep you updated. Since she hasn't yet finalized her plans, why does she need to tell you?

As a parent, I would keep looking for the care that best met the needs of my family.

I think that if you had required a deposit she wouldn't have confirmed a spot at all. She would come back to you after she had finished researching her options if she was still interested. She is clearly interested in something else that works for both children. You allow her to verbally confirm a spot until she finds something else. She has nothing to lose by doing so.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wonderwiper For This Useful Post:

I think that she should tell me just that, if she wants to continue to look that is fine, but not tell me that she wants that spot, but that she is interested only if she cant find something that better fits her needs.
    I just feel like this is clearly someone that will say one thing and do another, and I am not interested in working with that, and I am not at all like that. I think she is being completely dishonest with me.
    Also, what good would taking a deposit really do anyway? how much notice would she have to give me for me to return the deposit?
    Last edited by MsBell; 04-22-2015 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MsBell View Post
    I think that she should tell me just that, if she wants to continue to look that is fine, but not tell me that she wants that spot, but that she is interested only if she cant find something that better fits her needs.
    I just feel like this is clearly someone that will say one thing and do another, and I am not interested in working with that, and I am not at all like that. I think she is being completely dishonest with me.
    Also, what good would taking a deposit really do anyway? how much notice would she have to give me for me to return the deposit?
    Deposits are generally non-refundable, they must be applied to last two weeks of care.... at least in my daycare. A parent can not get their money back because they changed their mind or are being wishy washy. The financial commitment ensures that the commitment is a firm one that they are taking seriously. All shopping around is done prior to wasting time signing a contract and paying the deposit. A casual verbal agreement is something that someone can walk away from and leave you high and dry. By not requiring a firm agreement in the form of a contract and deposit, you leave yourself open to these kinds of things happening unfortunately.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I only reserve a spot if a 2 week deposit is paid, and a contract fully signed. I would never rely on someone's word to hold a spot.

Euphoric !
    I totally agree with others. She wants her spot she truly does so she isn't lying but if something better comes along that fits her needs she will book that spot instead- leaving you high and dry. She will inform you but she won't until she has actually confirmed something somewhere else.

This is why you need to take a deposit to hold the spot. Money talks and if she was required to give you money she would have been more serious about it. You are setting yourself up for more families to do this to you. Those of us who take deposits still run into this issue but it doesn't put us out a bunch of money if the give a deposit. That deposit buys us time to find another family.

Expansive...
    I would simply respond:
    Dear ______,
    After seeing your ad that you are shopping for a different provider, I'm afraid in the best interest of my business and family that I will no longer be holding your space for you. Good luck with your search, I hope you find someone who suits better your needs.
    Take care,
    ______

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lou For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Thinking back though, did she actually say that she wanted you to hold the spot for her? Or did you just offer to hold it?

Euphoric !
    I like Lou's response. It tells her that you know she is shopping around (which I do think she has the right to do) but it protects you as well. Unless you are very flexible and can hold the spot until the parent makes up their mind, I wouldn't offer to do this situation again as it's too loose-y goosey.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post: