Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Outdoor playspace.

Hello. Wondering if I can get your advice, ideas, etc.

What can I put down on our lawn for the kids to play? We had grass but it is now mud because we have a lot of slides, climbers, etc. so I put down the foam colourful connect mats. But is there someone else I could do? If I don't have a slide or something on the mats, they blow away.

Has to be removable as we are renting. Thank u for ur ideas

Euphoric !
    Do you mean as an interim solution until the grass comes back/is reseeded?

I have a mud pit for a back yard at the moment and have been debating putting down ground cloth (black landscaping fabric that lets in water and I think light). I wondered if it lets in enough light so my grass seed can grow under neath it when its time.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Hi, I put down stable mats. They are very durable. You can get them at farm supply stores etc, They cost about $50 each and are about 3' x 4'

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babywhisperer For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    TorontoKids, the black landscaping cloth is meant to suppress growth and is usually put under rocks or bark mulch. I would double check before you buy to make sure...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SillyGirl_C For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I don't have any toys out until the yard dries up. I have a big play structure that is permenant. At the bottom of the slide I have a small piece of plywood. Grass obviously doesn't grow there but it keeps it from being muddy and there being big holes in the yard. Under my swings I bought a big rubber mat that is for back of trucks/cattle trailer. It is thick and keeps away mud and no big holes from bragging feet. Also is a bit of a cushion if kids fall off swing

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

No can't regrass the area. The climbers take up most of it and grass will just die again. Need to find something to use till we move. Then we'll regrass it for the owners.

Euphoric !
    what about wood chips then?

Outgoing
    Last year I redid the place under the climber, moved it and put down the black landscaping cloth. It is supposed to suppress growth, I was having problems with the weeds and not being able to get the lawnmower under there.

I would suggest that something like this, secured somehow is your best option. If you put down wood chips, for example, you will have to remove them when you go to reseed. Also, I would be too afraid the kids would throw them, eat them. But maybe that's just my group.

As far as securing it, what I did with the corners was to use my shovel and lift a "flap" of grass along the edge and tuck it in. Keeps it from rolling and I can run the lawnmower over the edge to get all the grass.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I have no grass in my yard at all. I have a huge composite wood deck and stable mats in the playground. No mud!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jodaycare For This Useful Post: