Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Other daycare providers

so..im not sure if this is a vent or just wanting to know if other providers go through or have gone through the same thing...

I just moved to a new town about a year ago. I did home daycare for 6 years in the previous city I used to live in. I will be opening again in July in my new town. I've set my rates based on what I have seen listed here from others in my area. Each time I receive a request for my rates, potential clients always come back to me saying "sorry, I have found someone much cheaper" Not sure what is going on as most of us in the area all advertise on the same sites with rates pretty much all the same.

My bigger concern is that I have tried to reach out to several providers in the area and not one has responded!! I get it, we are each others competition, but in my old city, every second house was an in home daycare...very much competition, yet, we all worked together to help each other. We sent clients to each other when we were full, we warned each other about specific clients etc. We raised our rates together, changed our policies together etc. I'm just frustrated that no one here wants to communicate!! I'd just like to get a feel for the area, if there is a big demand for full time or before and after school care etc. If they charge for sick days etc. I dont want to be unrealistic with what other providers are offering in the area and lose clients because I am the only one asking for weekly rates as oppose to daily rates etc.

errrrggghhhh - So I guess this post is just a vent after all!!

Expansive...
    Is there a daycare provider's association you could join in your area, or a specific day for provider drop-ins in your area at an Early Years centre? It might be easier to network with them as a group, versus 1 on 1. Also, the local schools in the area should be able to tell you what the demand is like for before/after care, or if there is a YMCA program in the school, they could tell you if it's full/empty etc. It's hard to start fresh again-sometimes undercutting the competition even by $1 a day for the first few clients might help you establish yourself, and then raise the rates for future clients.

What area are u in? Try to find some playgroups and now that it's getting nicer out start going on walks find the parks and meet caregivers that way.

Euphoric !
    I had the exact same experience! I reached out to a bunch of providers when I started and not one responded. I think they are missing out as they don't understand how beneficial the relationship is. I had better luck meeting providers in person and have referred to them when full. I doubt it is reciprocated as they seem to be intimidated by the competition regardless.

I also think part of it is just the nature of the job. We are sometimes inundated with emails (with already a difficult work/life balance) and I am not the best at responding promptly (with plans to get to it later) unless I have a spot to fill.

Euphoric !
    If your rates are similar, that's a very odd reason as to why they are choosing different daycares. Could you say, "it's $xx a week which works out to $xx a day?" Do you charge for any days that are different from the others....sick days, holidays, stats etc? I wouldn't want to lower my fee by too much but it may be needed to grab the first few clients?

That's tough!! I speak to 2 other providers fairly often and a couple other ones more on a casual basis and I know I really enjoy it. It helps keep me in the loop with what's happening in my city and surrounding areas in regard to fees and policies. They also are great to vent too!! Lol

I've considered making an effort to get hdcp's in my area together. Just at a coffee shop....I thought it would give us an opportunity to compare, help each other out and maybe make some new friends. I'm not sure how many would actually be interested though. Is something like this something you could maybe try?

thanks you ladies. I open doors July 2nd. At that point I will be all over the community with the little ones, so hopefully I will be able to communicate with other providers that way. I do think thats a good idea, to lower my rates at the very least by $1.00 a day just to get me back in the game! Im located in Innisfil, Ontario. Its just a shame other providers dont want to interact and work together.

Thanks Again ladies for all of your suggestions!!

I am in Innisfil as well! I find that the providers here are brutal. I just made a post about how most are disregarding the new laws and under cutting the rest of us. If you want to message me what you are charging Innisfildaycare, I can let you know if it is indeed the going rate in the area.

ttremble88 - so glad to hear from someone in the same town!! I have sent you a message. Thanks!

Euphoric !
    Be sure to use this site for comparing rates - when you put your email into daycare bear and get a list of close daycares. To start I would set your rates at the lower end of the averages you see. It is also a good place to look at what is being offered as in what seems to be the most common hours, check out pictures etc.

Sometimes when providers don't want to associate it is because they are also having a hard time filling spaces and don't want to share anything. There may be an underground type economy of babysitters offering low rates possibly not even operating legitimately with proper ratios, etc.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

I did not get a message innisfildaycare!