Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Part timers and ever changing schedules

Hi Ladies
    I was just wonder how to handle my part timers there are 2 that I have that are in health care so there schedules rotate some times they are here 3 days and the next week maybe 1 day I am finding this very challenging should and they are in my under 2 age group do I run it on a first come first serve or what ?
    feeling a liitle frustrated not sure whether I'm coming or going

Starting to feel at home...
    I'm not sure I'm completely understanding what you are asking. You have part timers that alternate days, and it's an indemand space? I would let the parents know that full timers and set schedules come first. Maybe treat this contract as drop in? Do you know set days in advance, or last minute?

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by mamaball View Post
    Hi Ladies
    I was just wonder how to handle my part timers there are 2 that I have that are in health care so there schedules rotate some times they are here 3 days and the next week maybe 1 day I am finding this very challenging should and they are in my under 2 age group do I run it on a first come first serve or what ?
    feeling a liitle frustrated not sure whether I'm coming or going
    Regardless of the days they come if they are in health care and they need care M-F then they pay for the space, period. It is way too much to ask that they pay accordingly as you need your spaces filled. It sound to me like your getting paid only the days they come?

Or are you saying it’s hard to get on a schedule as they are coming all at different times? This screws up the child’s day just as much as it does yours.

Starting to feel at home...
    Are you licensed and worried about having 2 under 2 on the same day? If your not licensed, in Ontario you could 5 under 2 if you wanted to.

Shy
    yes they are only paying for the days they come to care and yes I was worried about the numbers but Thank you DaycareLulu for clearing that up makes me feel better
    Where I am it is very difficult to even get parents to pay when the are off sick so asking to pay for a space I can't see that happening unfortunatly
    Thank you Ladies just needed to vent a little

This type of scheduling is called "flex-care" in the daycare business. You have two options. One, is to charge them full time fees because technically you are saving a full time spot for them as they could come ANY day of the week. The second thing you could do is charge them a MINIMUM number of paid days per week - three days is generally standard. So, they pay for THREE days each and every week as a minimum. And on those weeks they use more than 3 days they pay for the additional days. AND, this type of care requires a "book it - you buy it" schedule. The parents give YOU a schedule at least one month IN ADVANCE with the attendance days on it. Whatever they commit to on that calendar/schedule they PAY for.

When you "save" spots for days someone isn't attending you are losing money. You deserve to be paid for EVERY day they "might" need if you are not otherwise able to fill that space on a permanent basis with another child.

Quote Originally Posted by mamaball View Post
    yes they are only paying for the days they come to care and yes I was worried about the numbers but Thank you DaycareLulu for clearing that up makes me feel better
    Where I am it is very difficult to even get parents to pay when the are off sick so asking to pay for a space I can't see that happening unfortunatly
    Thank you Ladies just needed to vent a little
    This is desperation mentality. You only ASSUME this. If you put your foot and demand to be paid what you DESERVE for the important work you do then you WILL be paid for it. Parents should be paying regardless of attendance. That means they pay if the child is sick and doesn't attend, if grandma takes them for the day, if they go on vacation etc. This is standard practice. If you need a solid contract feel free to PM me. I am always willing to help out a provider when needed.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post: