Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Ignoring Bill 10

I am just going to lower my daily rates and take in a bunch of extra kids.

This is what I heard between 2 local daycare providers the other day during school pick-up. And then I was a yoga and the instructor introduced me to another lady and the lady said that she does home daycare. So I asked, "oh, will Bill 10 affect you?" Her response:

"No. My kids are in their 20's. I have been doing this for 15 years. I have 6 kids during the days and then I have my before and after school kids. I have 2 hired school helpers"

Honestly, I feel like that I the only one following the rules and it is frustrating. They dont even try to hide it, they are open with it. I mean, I can hire a helper as well and take in 5 additional kids and make a killing. SOOOO frustrating! Sorry for venting ladies, just needed to get it out there as you are the only ones to understand.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ttremble88 For This Useful Post:

same here!! Other provders are posting their pictures all over facebook without hiding that they have 7 babies and 4 before and after school kids. Although they have hired help, i thought it was 5 in per house and not per person/caregiver. Arent these ladies afraid of the $200,000.00 fine!!???

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to innisfildaycare For This Useful Post:

LMAO. We are in the same town, so I am not surprised that we are dealing with the same thing!

Euphoric !
    Ignorance is bliss. If you just bury your head in the sand and choose to not be informed then you can do as you please with no guilt because you truly don't know the details. Sucks to be you when you get caught as no one will accept the "I didn't know better" excuse, but what are the odds of being caught?

For those of us that are informed...or actually try to follow the rules...well, it sucks!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    WOW. I've met/seen (online advertisements) a few idiots, but I assumed most weren't educated about the Bill. To blatantly ignore it is insane.

And yes, you're absolutely correct, it is 5 on the premises, not 5 kids per adult. Plus, that is something that has been in the original DNA for decades. I've come across quite a few providers that either legitimately didn't realize that, or decided that it sounded legit enough to tell parents and "pretended" they didn't know that. It's ridiculous.

Eventually, someone will get caught. Multiple inspectors have been quoted saying that ignorance is not an excuse to break the law. This is our career and livelihood, it is our responsibility to know and follow the law, end of story. All we can do is try to educate fellow providers and PARENTS and know that at least if we get inspected, we won't be going bankrupt. It sucks, because these people are raking in the money, and here I am, for example, having to term 2 kids and run on 60% of an already very small income. But at least I know that my family, house, and livelihood are safe, should that inspector come knocking.

I feel the same. I have six including my own little one so I will have to term one. Hard. I have had them all equal length so how do u chose? And then explain y them and not the others. So sad. I have thought I should just keep them will I really get caught. No one is watching me now. But when I think about the fine it's enough to scare me into following the five per house. Even if it's just a 10% chance I'll get caught. It's still a chance. I feel bad for the ones not following. Going to hurt so bad when they are caught it just takes one phone call from a caregiver at the park to "rat"them out.

Just to clarify, if all of my daycare kids have been with me since before Dec 2014, I do not need to follow bill 10 until Jan 2016, is this correct?

Since before dec.4th. Yes

Outgoing
    When I went to Algonquin in ECE, one of the instructors was proud of the fact that she'd had 20+ kids in her home daycare. ??? I personally didn't think this was the kind of thing that she should have been proud of, but I guess some people just don't care.

Shy
    Have any details been released on how we can become licensed? I would like to and 'double up' with a friend. I am a new provider and am taking on my final 2 children next week and I also have an assistant starting next week. I pay for a teacher to come in two days a week so my actual 'pay' is very low. Things will be different when my numbers drop in Sept. and I will also be increasing my fees as I started at the lower end to help get established.
    A provider in my area had been advertising very strongly on Kijiji and stating she was licensed (?!)and was recently inspected and found to be well over numbers. I only know this as I took on one of the kids she had to terminate. Strange though as hand over to/from the parents was via the garage and a video phone and the parents never went into the basement. There could have been dozens of kids down there...