Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Expansive...
    when my son was 12 we had a party at my house and a boy took a pricey new pair of runner from the shoe pile and left his old pair. we did not notice till all the boys were going home - the mother of the son of the stolen shoes called the school and the principal had a quick chat with the thief the next day at school and he was told to give the shoes back or else- so the boy came back to our house and gave me the shoes - he said I am sorry to me and I gave them to the boy missing the shoes- I think I was easier to deal with me than the mother of the stolen shoes son, but I was so glad the mother called the principal and the school got involved - can you call the principal without calling the police, as she/he knows the child involved, and can manage the situation better
    Last edited by Van; 03-23-2015 at 09:53 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Van For This Useful Post:

The short of it is we have no proof that Peter took the iPad. When we inquired with the police, we were told that they could get a statement from each party but that is pretty much it. The chances of recovering the iPad are pretty much nil. Unless Peter grows a conscience we are not getting it back. The police would be questioning our friends family (the boy who had the sleepover) as much as they would be questioning Peter. It is all moot.

As far as calling the school. I really don't think they will get involved. It happened outside of school hours and away from school property. Again, they don't know the history of Peter's stealing in the past, nor do they want to get involved in a legal dispute that does not involve the school in any shape or form.

Like I said previously, Peter may get away with this one, but his time is ticking. His friends are quickly learning he's a thief and not to be trusted. I think the biggest lesson (if he even learns one in this case) is that there are consequences for every action. Peter's consequences will play out slowly when he starts to lose friends (my son and the other boy who hosted the sleepover for one) and for his mother.....she will be certainly getting phone calls at 3:00am in the future to come and bail her delinquent son out of jail.

Expansive...
    So sorry to hear other mummy. It is disturbing to say the least that any parent would let their child do something like this to their friend, or to anyone really.

Starting to feel at home...
    you would think the parents would step up, and make this right!?! If my son came home with an Ipad, I would notice, and there would be lots of questions!

God this sucks!! Seems like your hands are tied and I'd hate to be in your shoes or your sons. I wouldn't have let him take the ipad out of the house though being such a high ticket item to be honest. My kids have ipads and under no circumstances do they leave the house. I don't care whether they like it or not. It is to avoid situations like this and that I would be sick if a $700 item were to go walk about or get broken.

Only on one occasion has my son taken the laptop to a friends when it was just the two of them and they wanted to play an online game together on two separate machines and I spoke to his mom prior to sending it. Obviously a much harder item to get stolen and sneak in a bag being full size. My son was also told that this was a privilege and should it become broken, he owed me the cash to replace it so he better look after it.

I understand that there is no proof of who took it, but if there is no consequence or opportunity to be held accountable for taking it, guess what, where is Peter's incentive to grow a conscience? There is none. He has gotten away with it, and because no one is taking extra steps that effect him, he is laughing his ass off and will do it again. I GUARANTEE!! I had a huge problem with stealing as a child until I was about 14 and it's only when I was confronted by police and admitted my problem that I got help and stopped before it destroyed my life and became and adulthood issue. I had a very traumatic childhood and unbeknownst to anyone else I had lots of causes to act out in such a manner. I think it's also in Peters best interest to be confronted by the police too. He needs help and likely isn't getting it at home. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing if the police questioned everyone at this party. There would be no hiding from the fact that SOMEONE stole it and while it may not make the ipad miraculously appear, it may be the first step to helping prevent this kind of thing happen again.

Also, keep checking in on the location app for the iPad. I doubt this kid will be able to restrain himself enough long term to not charge that ipad so you may eventually find it. If the police were to be involved, even just to question the boy and his family and then it were in fact to turn up at his house or on his person, that would be a great opportunity for Peter to have his comeuppance.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Van

Quote Originally Posted by MsBell View Post
    you would think the parents would step up, and make this right!?! If my son came home with an Ipad, I would notice, and there would be lots of questions!
    Kids who steal are smarter than we give them credit for. Also a lot of parents are not that connected with their kids, or give them so much privacy that all sorts goes missed.

Euphoric !
    The parents won't step up. The police apparently won't help. Only option is to confront the parent. Let them threaten to sue. They won't do it. Their son is a lying thief and end of the day, they not risk him being found out. They not risk bringing their son to testify about how traumatised he is to be thought of as a thief. They not risk all other parents stepping up about missing items from their homes too.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

It's funny, I am feeling more angry at the Mom who apparently couldn't care less than I am at Peter! How very sad. All of us would have that child down to the door in a second & questioning him....looking everywhere for it. My goodness...it's an IPad! She is so perpetuating his behavior. My 9 year old son begs me daily to take his Pokemon cards, or IPod or whatever to school....(of course 'everyone does, Mom')...but nope, I'm so scared the same will happen (especially since my son is forgetful as it is
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamalittledream For This Useful Post:

Everyone who knows this story is more angry at the mother of the boy who stole the iPad. I'm furious. She is burying her head in the sand. But interestingly enough, it's going to come full circle tonight when Peter's mom and the sleepover hosts mom meet at their son's hockey practice. Wish I could be a fly on the wall.

I went to Peter's house again yesterday to speak with the mother again. She never called me back to let me know if she even looked for the iPad at her house. We went on Saturday and at this point it is 3 days later. 3 days to call me and let me know either way. So when I drove by and noticed her car in the driveway I decided to pay her another follow up visit. I know Peter did not come clean, but I wanted to hear what she had to say about the situation.

She answered all pleasant and welcoming. Told me she was "going to get around to calling me" and that she looked in Peter's room and the spare room and her younger son's room and could not find it. Then she made a half hearted attempt at a joke about how "Messy" her son's room was. Seriously lady? Then she said she would talk to the mom who held the sleepover to see where it could have gone? Perhaps it was a prank? Wait until sleepover mom tells Peter's mom that her son saw his game controls in Peter's room in the summer. Yikes.

Last night my dh went to pick up our son from his friends house (same friend that had sleepover) and spoke with his dad. for an hour. My husband told him how blasé Peter's mother was about the whole thing. How she still insists her son last saw it on the bed. The dad was very frustrated and getting upset with Peter and his mother. She is not being a parent but allowing this behaviour to continue.

My son is still hoping some how he will get it back.

Euphoric !
    It may very well be that the mom isn't 'burying her head in the sand' thinking her child is perfect, but rather she just doesn't care. Just because you have a child doesn't mean your morals all get lined up. There are plenty of adults out there (with and without kids) that just feel that they can have what they want. Adults steal stuff all the time, adults feel that if they want it it is theirs, adults feel that they should get to have something because someone else can afford it but they can't so they can take it and the other person can just buy a new one. These people have kids too and they aren't likely to have a different set of standards for their child.

Unfortunately if this is the case then there is little hope of ever coming to a satisfactory end here because no matter how much you disapprove or how direct you are they will just shrug it off and deny it because in their mind they are justified in doing what they do.