My almost 12 year old son has a great group of friends. There is an inner circle of 4 of them and then extends to another 5 or so boys that are also good friends. We all live in a tight knit community and we all know the parents of each friend. Some very well. But all the parents are connected and we see each frequently with sporting events, school events, our children getting together, etc.

My son spent the night earlier in the week at his good friends house. one of the other boys in their group was there as well. So it was the 3 boys total. My son took his iPad as he has done many, many times when he visits friends. The next morning the other friend, I'll call him Peter left, earlier in the morning. My son and his friend could not find his iPad. They enlisted the Mom's help and they tore up the house. Nothing.

My son came home and told us they could not find it. Weren't too concerned as it could not grow legs and walk away. It was either with at their house or with the other friend, Peter.

Background on Peter. Last summer he took my son's game control and left his broken one as they looked the same, my son and I assumed he just grabbed the wrong one. My son got it back as he called him on it. Then a few weeks later, he took my son's disc whilst visiting our home again. my son called and got it back right away. Then the warning bells went off for me.

Fast forward to this week. The parents of the boy who had the sleepover called us last night to discuss the missing iPad. They also concurred that it was most likely the other friend who took it. They tore up their house again looking for it, even looking in odd rooms (Laundry room, their bedroom, etc...everywhere...t hey searched for hours as they felt soooo bad that it happened in their home). They told us that their own son's game controls went missing as well as other small items and that last summer their son was at this friends house (peter) and saw his controllers but was too embarrassed to say anything to Peter.

So we now know without a doubt that Peter has it. We don't have a phone number to call Peter's mother. She lives just up the street from us. We are left with no choice but to pay them a visit tomorrow and talk to Peter and his mother and somehow word it (without accusing) if Peter knows where the iPad might be. My husband is livid and wants to have the police involved. I really don't want to cause those kind of ripples as well, the boy Peter is a good kid, but obviously made very bad choice(s).

Our friend (the boy's mother) who hosted the sleepover will see Peter and his mother at hockey practice tomorrow when she takes her son. She will approach her and tactfully ask if her son knows what happened? Where it could be? Did he take it by "accident"?

Any advice on how to approach the boy (who took the iPad) and his mother when we ring their doorbell tomorrow????