Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Teagansmom View Post
    I know iPads have an option to find it if it's lost/stolen using the Apple ID. I know you can disable it perhaps if it wasn't you can find it that way.
    My husband did enable this feature. When the iPad gets charged (It is offline now and completely dead) it shows on the screen Lost - Please Call xxx-xxx-xxxx

I'm sure at this point Peter knows we are serious and that we know it is most likely him who took it. He might panic and throw it away.

We are on the fence about getting the police involved. I am giving Peter's mother another day or so to come back to me with an answer one way or another. The police would have to be the last resort.

I a still have a small glimmer of hope that Peter will return the iPad to my son at school tomorrow. My rational side says that the odds on that are very, very small

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Other Mummy View Post
    I'm sure at this point Peter knows we are serious and that we know it is most likely him who took it. He might panic and throw it away.
    I understand this cultural difference and my husband is Canadian but it frustrate me no end when people are so nice, non-confrontational and non-accusatory when it's plain as day that this boy took ipad.

You know 100% he has it yet say "most likely". You know he theif. You now know parent aware he theif yet she enabling. You know this kid have zero accountability yet still being non-confrontational.

This is how kids like this and their parents, get away with being this way.

Personally, I would go back to house, following mother reaction of non surprize. Tell her that you know your ipad was taken by her son. That you want it back right now and not going until you get it. If she want to call the police and have you removed, that fine. They can deal with the whole situation when they arrive.

It non issue that your husband disabled ipad. Big deal. Thief coping in their life without ipad before and will manage to do so again. Just a wasted stolen item but easy come, easy go.

Starting to feel at home...
    Do you have email addresses for the parents of all the kids who were at the party? Could you email all of them together and explain that your son's iPad went missing during the party and could they please check with their child or their child's bags to make sure it didn't come home with them by mistake. You could add something about your next step being to report the missing iPad to the police. That may prompt it to reappear quite quickly.

Or just call the police and report it missing.

How would a parent not notice if their kid had an iPad all of a sudden? It's not like a hot wheel where their kid probably has a bunch and they wouldn't know one from the other. It's an expensive electronic. If someone came to my door like you had, I'd probably either ask my son in the moment or I'd promise to look into it and then get back to you. There would then be a thorough search of his room and belongings to check for the iPad. As I'm writing this, I think I would probably look before asking him about it...that way he wouldn't have time to hide it or get rid of it.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie_Homemaker View Post
    I understand this cultural difference and my husband is Canadian but it frustrate me no end when people are so nice, non-confrontational and non-accusatory when it's plain as day that this boy took ipad.

You know 100% he has it yet say "most likely". You know he theif. You now know parent aware he theif yet she enabling. You know this kid have zero accountability yet still being non-confrontational.

This is how kids like this and their parents, get away with being this way.

Personally, I would go back to house, following mother reaction of non surprize. Tell her that you know your ipad was taken by her son. That you want it back right now and not going until you get it. If she want to call the police and have you removed, that fine. They can deal with the whole situation when they arrive.

It non issue that your husband disabled ipad. Big deal. Thief coping in their life without ipad before and will manage to do so again. Just a wasted stolen item but easy come, easy go.
    Yes. Unfortunately problem is if it can't be proven they can sue for emotional distress for poor Peter.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ebhappydc For This Useful Post:

Yes, ebhappydc we have thought of this as well. Unfortunately we don't have any proof that he actually took it. It is hearsay. I want to contact the authorities as a final resort. I'm still hoping that Peter will return it today at school or at the very least his mother will contact me today. It is more distressing to think that Peter's mother is doing NOTHING but being in denial and condoning his behaviour. I think Peter's punishment will go further then just being startled at seeing the police at his door. Which will probably result in nothing. The truth is his friends will learn of his reputation and he will lose friends. He will not be allowed at any other families homes for sleepovers. How could any of the parents trust him now? He will get his just desserts, unfortunately my son will still be out of an iPad

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by ebhappydc View Post
    Yes. Unfortunately problem is if it can't be proven they can sue for emotional distress for poor Peter.
    How is this emotionally distressing for Peter? Standing at parent door, telling them to be parent or call police is not distressing for Peter. All that happen to Peter is his parent maybe check his room which they should have done, or his parent call the police. Peter not even got to be there.

Everyone so worried about maybe they get sued for upsetting a theif. No one worried about making kid accountable and having very uncomfortable situation with parent no willing to be a parent. This is what is wrong with modern world. Kids be jerks, parents be inadequate, every one else worried about being sued for doing the right thing.

Let them sue for emotional distress, no case. How about you counter claim for emotional distress to your child in having items stolen by friend?

Outgoing
    I don't really know how to word this right, but I'll try. I don't know if these things are different for boys and girls, but when this happened to me at that same age as your son, I didn't know what to do, and it still affects me today.

I have been reading your posts about this situation and thought I would share my now older, wiser feelings. When my best friend would steal from me, I didn't tell my parents. (The things were not valuable, so there wouldn't have been a discussion of police.) She did it to manipulate me. She knew she could and used it against me. I continued to be friends with her through highschool but not long after that, it was complicated and I haven't spoken to her for over 10 years now.

I would be afraid, that if you don't stand up for your son, it may affect him long term too. The iPad is valuable, and for that reason, the police should be involved, (maybe even just a conversation with someone at the police station, "what should I do?" kind of thing.) Again, maybe it is different for boys and girls, but this Peter is NOT your son's friend. And he is not a friend to the other boy, either. There can be no friendship if there is no trust. Plain and simple. Your son deserves better treatment from the people in his life and I think it's your job to show him that.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    The problem is though that there is no cold hard proof that it's him only speculation. I'm all for confrontation when its warranted but thats really up to the op if she feels it's approriate.

I do agree that the police should be involved, as it is an expensive item but standing at the thief's door until you get removed by the police just doesn't seem practical at all. There are other ways of dealing with a situation like this and I would say at this point to simply get the police involved.

Needless to say, and I'm sure you already know, I would be very careful about my childs interaction with this boy moving forward.

I'm sorry you and your son have to go through this. My son would be pretty upset if it happened to him.

Euphoric !
    So unfortunate. Hard lesson for your child to learn. Honestly Peter is not the kind of friend your son should have. If I was this group of boys I think I would not be inviting Peter over anymore!

Maybe I am the only one here but I don't think I would call the police. Lesson learned and move on. Unfortunately not all parents think the same as we do. I would have been going through my child's bags and room but she obviously doesn't really care. Unless there is real proof he took it then the police can't really do anything.