Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Payment issues

Outgoing

Payment issues

When a dcp doesn't make payment by payday (for example, Thursdays for me) do you contact them everyday that payment is late as a Reminder? I feel like I shouldn't have to and I don't want to seem like a pain but hey, money is owing, plus incurring late fees. My contract states late fees are 20 per day up to 3 days, then I reserve the right to term and fill the spot. I haven't had payment issues with him before and I am not looking to term as I like the dad and child But I need to address it And looking for a tactful way to do so.

Thursday, Dcd claims his bank account was compromised and has been frozen. He says Apparently it was supposed to be unlocked Friday but it wasn't and now today, Saturday, it still isn't resolved. I have reminded him about late fees and he seems to get it. it's not his fault so I am.trying to be understanding but hey, what about my finances? Dcg only comes every other week and I am not waiting til the next time she comes to get paid for this past week. this is the first time I have encountered payment issues with this parent so any advice is appreciated.
    Last edited by MonkeyPrincess; 03-21-2015 at 11:15 AM.

Outgoing
    Hmmm.Monkeyprincess. ...that's a tough one...If you haven't had a problem with him before....I usually give one freebie...it's like car insurance....first accident free...second one....your screwed!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sandylynn For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Tricky when it someone you not had issue with before and also unusual circumstance. It not like he's saying he don't have fees just that he's physically stopped from sending by bank issue. That doesn't help you pay your bills though.
    I think it harsh to term although you can because it might take time to fill place and it not as if parent refusing to pay or over spend. Once account is unfrozen, it doesn't seem like you'll have problem being paid, it just matter of how to address delay.
    Try e-mail him. Explain that although you empathise with the situation he in, that now having affect on your finances and your ability to pay own bills.
    Ask him for clear answer about what bank and he are doing to unlock his account, when will it be, is bank providing him buffer finances until his own money accessible, how long will it be? It good he already know about late fees but terming just create other issue when this been good client and no reason to expect repeat of this rare situation. Just need information about when you be paid and go from there.

Outgoing
    I am trying to empathize with him for sure. I am not at the point where I would terminate, given I haven't had payment issues with him before. I know he is in a jam but you are right, I'd like to know when it's all going to be resolved so I can get paid too. Tomorrow is Sunday, am I supposed to contact him again to ask for An update? And again on monday if its not resolved? I don't want to be a thorn in his side over something that isn't his fault but I am not crazy about his indifference to the situation.

This is just me, but if I were in the situation, knowing that i owe my daycate provider and late fees are incurring, I would borrow the money off my parents or siblings or something. I hate owing people money and i never carry a balance on accounts

Outgoing
    So now he tells me it's going to be at least Wednesday until the banking issue gets resolved and has no money until then. I asked if there as any chance he could borrow it because late fees were adding up at 20 dollars a day. He said he would try to ask around but 'money is tight for everyone' . So I am SOL until then....

Starting to feel at home...
    I have a very hard time believing that the bank has not resolved this issue or they are supplementing his income to help him get by. I worked for a bank and I know for a fact that if this was truly not a fault of the clients, then the bank would be making good and opening a new account immediately and transferring over his funds. There is NO way they would leave him high and dry due to a security breach out of his control.
    This guy is a) lying about there being a 'security breach and accts being frozen and b) can just not come up with the money due to financial issues and is using this as an excuse.
    Stick to your late payment fees because there's no way he truly has "NO money!"
    Last edited by 3rdtimesacharm; 03-23-2015 at 10:26 AM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 3rdtimesacharm For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I've had my account frozen for suspected card data stealing. I didn't find out until I tried to pay for my meal at a restaurant (gahhh). It was dealt with very quickly by the bank.

He would be better off taking a cash withdrawal on his credit card. The fees would likely be less than the $20 a day charge.

If you suspect you are being played here then tell him you can no longer provide care until he is up to date. The late fees and normal daily fees still apply while the child is out of care. Then he will be directly impacting and will have motivation to start finding a solution.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyPrincess View Post
    This is just me, but if I were in the situation, knowing that i owe my daycate provider and late fees are incurring, I would borrow the money off my parents or siblings or something. I hate owing people money and i never carry a balance on accounts
    Not everyone has that option though. I have no family in Canada only in Russia. Our cost living huge compared to there. I could not ask my parent to cover an urgent bill of mine even if they were still alive. Even decades ago, it just not option.

Just because you know you family would or could, not all people have that.

I do not have debt. I hate owing too. But that does not mean I have people who I could ask even if real problem and I sure that others too have no one to ask.

But it seem like the bank not doing much to help. If this really not his fault, bank would be helping him more. Even they could see his balance and they likely could arrange loan or something. I not believe bank making him wait most of whole week.
    Last edited by Suzie_Homemaker; 03-23-2015 at 10:53 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Do u know which bank? Does he pay in cash or it'll say on his checks. I'd call the bank. Don't give out info just call out of curiosity. Saying I have a friend going through this how long does your bank take to rectify the situation. Or say I'm looking at opening an account and ask how long they fix issues like that. Then you'll know if he's lieing. It did happen to my brother once and it did take a wk to fix. He had to borrow money from my mom till then. So he could be telling the truth. Just think when u actually get the funds how much extra you'll have

Outgoing
    I Understand what you are saying. Same with my dad's family. The economy is pretty bad in western Europe and no one is in a position to help with finances either. I get that not everyone has people that can help out. I am grateful to have my parents and siblings alive and well And relatively close. I know not everyone is so lucky.

On the other hand, sometimes people don't help someone because they are consistantly dishonest or irresponsible. I have a relative who has screwed everyone who has ever helped him. very financially irresponsibLe and liar.

I have also had my banking compromised, both debit card and credit card. Neither time did it take 6 days to resolve, probably because neither time it was my fault But could have just been my experience though.

Anyhow I am a little suspicious about the whole situation with Dcd. I suspect that something is off and I am NOT backing down from Policies.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyPrincess For This Useful Post: