Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Runny Nose!

Starting to feel at home...

Runny Nose!

I have a 15 month old daycare boy. He currently has a very runny nose due to a slight cold. He is not coughing or any other symptoms, just running nose. Well, being a 14 month old, EVERYTHING is going in his mouth!! When I catch him I say "not in your mouth, Xxxx". And he takes it away, a trail of boogars following. It goes in the sink and his nose is wiped.
    Well, I have recently brought out our train table. There are currently 12 pieces of wooden track, 3 trains and an assortment of trees/people in my sink waiting to be cleaned.
    Do you think this is 'normal', 'expected' behaviour to be mouthing toys still at his age?
    I have never turned away a child from daycare simply for having a cold, so don't think I would go that route.
    I feel like I just need to seat him in a booster seat with tray of washable toys so all his boogars are somewhat contained!
    Any tips would be appreciated!!

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdtimesacharm View Post
    I feel like I just need to seat him in a booster seat with tray of washable toys so all his boogars are somewhat contained!
    Any tips would be appreciated!!
    I have done that. Sure. And as for normal to put toys in their mouths, yes at 14 months. I have to often tell the 4yos! Especially if he's teething or when he's sick, he's gonna want some comfort toys. I would put a whole bunch of washable toys in "his" bin and leave it near him. all the toys and the bin get washed at the end of the day. And he's not spreading the germs around.

Outgoing
    Oh, and this is another time I would pull out the soap, sponges and water tray. If he "washes" his own toys, it's a bit less clean up for you.

Expansive...
    Yes it's perfectly normal at this age and for some it lasts quite a while (like until 2-2 1/2) and then it dies down but the 3 and 4 year olds still have to be reminded not to put play food in their mouths.

It really grosses me out too, especially when they have a runny nose. There isn't a ton you can do other than give reminders and clean up after him.