Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I am so done!

Starting to feel at home...
    I applaud your decision Fun&Care!! Good for you! You have actually inspired me from reading your post this morning. I sent a message to my hubby and said "i'm done with daycare, end of june. Summer off, will find work in Sept". He said "good for you!". I just had a good cry after I put the kids down. I have been feeling very fed up with it all lately too. The parents, the kids. Everything. March Break was a big eye-opener as well. I had 8 kids here everyday and of course we were too busy to pack up and head out to all the cool stuff they had going on. I felt bad for my son, who is in JK having to spend his week off school with the daycare kids who he hardly enjoys. That is what summer will look like. Every. Damn. Day. My kids (1,3 and 4) are only little once and I don't want to be so busy with daycare that I don't notice their amazing growing and adorable things they say. Oh god, I could cry again!
    Anyways, I just want to say thank you, for putting in this post what I have been wanting to do, and seeing you do it and for the reasons, you have inspired me to remember that the money is not everything. My kids and family are. Hugs to you!!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3rdtimesacharm For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by torontokids View Post
    I would also suggest you send her to a community centre daycare for a week or 2 over the summer. I know you want to spend the time with her but this will help her develop more skills to prep her for kindergarten, including listening to other authority figures, and also may help mix up your summer and she will have fun!

There is a program that they are offering at her school which I am considering. It's a 4 week program from I think 9-11:30 everyday over the summer and it's aimed at kids who either need to improve their french skills (it's a french school) or who aren't used to being away from mommy and daddy etc. it's also free which is awesome. At this point hubby and I both think she needs a break from being with other kids though. She has no problem listening to authority figures. She is in ballet and swimming and will be in baseball this summer. She is always well behaved, never had any issues. So well see I guess. We have to be accepted in the program before we decide anyways.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdtimesacharm View Post
    I applaud your decision Fun&Care!! Good for you! You have actually inspired me from reading your post this morning. I sent a message to my hubby and said "i'm done with daycare, end of june. Summer off, will find work in Sept". He said "good for you!". I just had a good cry after I put the kids down. I have been feeling very fed up with it all lately too. The parents, the kids. Everything. March Break was a big eye-opener was well. I had 8 kids here everyday and of course we were too busy to pack up and head out to all the cool stuff they had going on. I felt bad for my son, who is in JK having to spend his week off school with the daycare kids who he hardly enjoys. That is what summer will look like. Every. Damn. Day. My kids (1,3 and 4) are only little once and I don't want to be so busy with daycare that I don't notice their amazing growing and adorable things they say. Oh god, I could cry again!
    Anyways, I just want to say thank you, for putting in this post what I have been wanting to do, and seeing you do it and for the reasons, you have inspired me to remember that the money is not everything. My kids and family are. Hugs to you!!
    Glad to hear my story is inspiring! I've had a few good cries over the last few weeks too. It's hard making the final decision. Based on how exhausted I've been (was also diagnosed with adrenal fatigue) I knew that it wouldn't be wise to jump from daycare to another job. I knew I needed a break and some time to recover in between so it works out nicely this way. Both kids will be off to school in late August and I will be working! It's going to be such a change, I can't wait. Best of luck!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fun&care For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Good for you to cut the daycare cord.

This was supposed to be the year I get out of daycare also. It is my fifth year and it was my goal but then two years ago, i decided to make it indefinite.
    I have a pretty good group, i have parents lined up for 2016 and have good parents who seem to appreciate what I do BUT I feel worn out. Everything feels like I've been there and done it and I have nothing new to prove and I spend time fantasizing about working outside the home with adults almost daily.

The grass always seem greener on the other side so I try to tell myself to think this through carefully but I am really temped to just say I can't do another winter of being trapped inside for -30 windchill or even bundling up five kids on mild days and navigating snowmeggedon sidewalks.

Sigh. It's such a tough decision.

Now with Bill 10 I wonder what I would do to get my kids into after school and before school care because BA care is going to get difficult even though my kids are 11 and 9.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Spixie33 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    We are at an advantage a bit when we decide to close. I have my daughter on the wait list for B&A and the baby we aren't pregnant with on daycare lists as well. I am closing for a mat leave and I don't think I will reopen. If I do, I am interested in only having teacher families.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Spixie33 View Post
    Good for you to cut the daycare cord.

This was supposed to be the year I get out of daycare also. It is my fifth year and it was my goal but then two years ago, i decided to make it indefinite.
    I have a pretty good group, i have parents lined up for 2016 and have good parents who seem to appreciate what I do BUT I feel worn out. Everything feels like I've been there and done it and I have nothing new to prove and I spend time fantasizing about working outside the home with adults almost daily.

The grass always seem greener on the other side so I try to tell myself to think this through carefully but I am really temped to just say I can't do another winter of being trapped inside for -30 windchill or even bundling up five kids on mild days and navigating snowmeggedon sidewalks.

Sigh. It's such a tough decision.

Now with Bill 10 I wonder what I would do to get my kids into after school and before school care because BA care is going to get difficult even though my kids are 11 and 9.
    It is hard to cut the cord I agree. I am coming up on my 10 year anniversary and I've been trying to get out for years. There are definite pros to this job and I don't mean to dismiss them, but I have really run myself into the ground and made myself ill in this job. I don't know why its harder on some than others...maybe those able to set clearer boundaries and really and truly stick to them lol, and I don't think it is a reflection on capabilities but I just feel so mentally under stimulated and the isolation has really taken a toll on me over the years.

I came to this country with the intention of doing my nursing degree. I had been accepted into University prior to my husbands job offer and I decided that getting the kids over and settled in school was a priority and it was perfect timing for my eldest to go into JK. Unfortunatly I just assumed as it is the same degree that I would have the entry requirements given that I'd already been accepted. Little did I know that I needed Grade 12 which isn't part of high school in the UK, so enter home daycare. I always had the intention of doing it short term and going to Uni but it is hard to give up the security of a paying job when you have kids and a mortgage to pay. No matter how much I enjoy taking care of the kids and that I have spent so much valuable time with my own kids, it has come at a massive expense to myself. I have struggled cutting the cord because it wasn't simply a case of going from self employed to employed. It was self employed to no job/full time student and then paying for that while supporting the family on 1 income for an extended period of time. I am still terrified now and I don't cry about it so much, which it sounds to me 3rdtimesacharm is out of relief and revelation at your choice, but I do constantly seem to come up with any number of excuses and reasons why this move for me is a bad one. Trying to talk myself out of it out of fear I think. I am used to the money, I absolutely love and treasure seeing my kids off every morning and greeting them home each day but I have lost my entire identity outside of being a mother and caregiver. I don't think I ever truly had one to begin with being a mother at 18 and mother of two at 20. Now is my time!

Good luck to all those embarking on new ventures. Exciting times lie ahead, and kudos to those still caring for our most prized possessions....these children are the future and each and every caregiver plays such an amazing and important role in their life. That is what I remind myself when asshat parents push my buttons. It's the kids who deserve the best of me and we'll keep drop off and pick up brief so I can focus positivity where needed and reduce the negativity so many are toxic with.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Shy
    I could not help but reply to your post.... I was in the same shoes with my 4 years old son. Sharing mommy was not going to happen! So much so that it started impacting my daycare negatively and lets not even talk about his behavior. He went from being this typical 4 years old active boy to being impossible to deal with. So I had to stop and think what the right thing was for him to do..... I ended up putting him back into his daycare which he attended previous to me having my own. Within 6-8 days I had "my kid' back. Let me tell you it sucks for our budget and it has made things more difficult with drop of and pick ups but it is soooo worth it! You are not alone
    I am happy for you that you are almost done! This occupation although rewarding can take its toll on one...Enjoy your summer with your kids

Quote Originally Posted by Fun&care View Post
    So I posted in another thread that I've decided to give notice to my daycare families May 1st that I will be closing permanently at the end of June. So they get about a two month notice period which I think is more than fair. And I get the summer off which I am SUPER excited for! Money will be tight but I may not get this opportunity to have the summer off with my kids for a long while. I'll be looking for employment aiming for August/September start.

Problem is I don't even know if I can make it til then! One of the (many) reasons I am closing is due to my daughter being fed up with daycare. I had a four day weekend and it was bliss. She is a really sweet kid and behaves really well...until the daycare kids return. The last two days have been horrible. She throws fits for no reason, is sometimes rough with the others and generally is not a happy camper. I think she is just so over the whole daycare thing. She turned 4 in feb and is sooooo ready for school. The daycare environment is not challenging enough for her but it is also frustrating to her to always have to share her home, her mother and her things with these kids for 50 hours per week. She does have her room with her own toys she can retreat to when she wants too, and she does so often but still....

I myself am really not into it anymore so it's hard. Every day I am counting down. Its tough because I still have to put on a smile and give these kids the care they deserve of course. But it's hard when you're not in the mood!

Thanks for letting me vent!!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to here_we_grow@shaw.ca For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Good luck to all of you who are going on to new things!! How exciting

Childcare is not an easy profession and is something that not everyone can do...add in running your own daycare and it's even more exhausting...physica lly, mentally, emotionally and financially!!! Some people don't realize how hard it can be! Be proud of yourselves for being able to do it for as long as you did and take pride in knowing that you have played a very beneficial and crucial part in so many children's lives!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Ok. Maybe time to think outside the box.

Is there another provider near you who you respect and trust who has own kid too? What about swapping kids? I serious. It just for couple months. You take other provider's kid, she takes yours. Sure it'll be a pain to physically get them to each other but it will be interest for each child to make new friends, switch up routine.

I not even know if this practical but sometimes, thinking outside the box is answer.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie_Homemaker View Post
    Ok. Maybe time to think outside the box.

Is there another provider near you who you respect and trust who has own kid too? What about swapping kids? I serious. It just for couple months. You take other provider's kid, she takes yours. Sure it'll be a pain to physically get them to each other but it will be interest for each child to make new friends, switch up routine.

I not even know if this practical but sometimes, thinking outside the box is answer.
    A friend of mine who had a hdc when her children were younger did this 2 days a week with a friend. I think it's a great idea and if I had a child, I would seriously consider it

19. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post: