Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Euphoric !

Bad eating habits

Hi ladies, just a vent today lol

I have 2 boys that are terrible eaters. 2 year old ("B") and 3 year old ("C"). C takes forever..... And I mean 45 minutes to eat 1 carrot! He takes the smallest bites and tends to sit and not chew. I sometimes have to fish food out of his mouth because I am done waiting and he cannot go down for his nap with food in his mouth. I always make the kids start with their veggies first so of course he gets upset when I take the other food away. I mentioned to mom the other day about his slow eating. She said the feed him supper right after daycare (special meal just for him) because he is hungry (ummmmm Ya! He barely eats here). They let him take as much time as he needs which is usually an hour. I doubt in that hour he eats much. She has mentioned his breakfast usually consists of a half piece of toast.

Next is B. He has always been a terrible eater. Was hard to transition off baby food. Just generally very picky! With lots of hard work he eats good for me. Mom tells me this morning she can't get B to eat at home still and he also gets special meals made. I did tell her that it was a terrible habit to start.

Sigh.... So both my problem eaters get special meals (not healthy ones either) at home! I am just baffled!

I am tired of fighting with the kids at meal time to eat, chew, swallow, try new things. Sometimes I wonder why I bother.

End of rant!
    Last edited by mickyc; 03-27-2015 at 08:51 AM.

Starting to feel at home...
    I have one dcb who is extremely picky. Won't eat anything healthy. So he usually gets hungry here. If I ask him to take the smallest of bites from any vegetable he cries and pouts and refuses, or spits it out amid tears.
    Anyways, his mom tells me he never eats dinner with the family. "All he wants is fruit gummies, chips, popcorn, or sweetened applesauce. So he picks all afternoon when they get home. He just turned 3. Many times she tells me that he got indigestion from eating too much junk food the night before.
    Boggles my mind!!!

Euphoric !
    I just can't wrap my head around it. I serve child friendly foods but we also eat lots of fruits and veggies. I am in no way perfect with my eating habits. But if it wasn't for the fruits and veggies I make the kids eat they would have zero nutrition!

Also what are these kids going to do when they get to school? They only have a set time they can eat, they can't graze all day. Sigh....
    Last edited by mickyc; 03-27-2015 at 09:50 AM.

Euphoric !
    Sounds like a power struggle. I'll put food in my mouth and leave it there and you'll sit around waiting, or take it out.

So not worth it. Our job as adults is to prepare and serve a large variety of healthy foods. Our job ends there. Put it on the plate, put it in front of them and ignore them. Don't comment on anything they do or don't eat. Don't cheer, don't 'yeaaa', don't comment they didn't eat anything at all, don't push or ask or beg.

Serve and remove the plate at end of meal.

We choose the foods served the kids choose what and how much of that served food they eat. Yes, they will be hungry...but being hungry is the natural consequence of choosing not to eat. If they ask for food later a simple comment along the lines of snack will be in an hour, you chose not to eat now your tummy is hungry" and leave it at that.

Don't stress, don't fret. Just know you did your job as the adult to provide a good meal. The rest is on the child.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I'm trying to take an approach like lee bee's. I've never really had picky eaters but I have one now who really only likes fruit, crackers, bread, cheese and yogurt. She used to eat Mac and cheese but hasn't in a few weeks now. I find she goes through phases...one week she ate ham and sausage and I thought "yay!!" But than the next week she went back to eating no meat!! This week has been good, she's ate spaghetti with hamburger and sauce, tomato/mushroom/cheese omelette and roast beef and rice!!! That is AMAZING for her. I'm sure next week will be a no eating one lol. I just give it to her and if she eats or not, I try not to care. I take away her plate and she gets dessert when the others do (fruit). I hate putting her down for nap when she's probably hungry but I try not to worry anymore...she always eat snack so it's not like she's starving for long. I don't use food as rewards or consequences.

At home they have 2 older girls (preteen and teen) and I know they don't make her a special meal. When I asked dad what food she'll eat he said "feed her what you give the others. If she doesn't eat, that's on her." He said they don't have time for that nonsense and they don't worry about it lol. I know mom does try a bit harder than dad but I know she isn't eating (much) junk at home.

I have a 3.5 year old who was sorta a picky eater and still goes through phases. She's come a long way and will try every food I give her but if she says she doesn't like it, I don't push her. I used to say "take one more bite" and than she'd puke, dad said he noticed she did that at home too so now we've both stopped. She knows when she doesn't like something and that's fine!! I was tired of cleaning up puke at the lunch table!!! She eats much better when just left alone (I think for her, some of it's texture issues)

Have you tried cooking the carrots? Might be quicker to eat lol

Euphoric !
    C doesn't care if he goes hungry. Why would he , he knows as soon as daycare is done that mom will serve him what he wants when he wants and however long he wants it. I am not about to let him pick and choose what he eats on his plate. here if we don't eat the healthy things we don't get the treats. For C it is more the time issue. He will eat something but takes so long, it's painful!!! If I don't end up fishing it out of his mouth he would sit there all day and that's not happening- we have things to do. The other kids are tired of waiting for him to just finish what he has in his mouth. I can't just not feed him! Lol. That would be my only solution.

Yes cooked or raw doesn't matter. He still puts it in his mouth and then sits there.

I just can't believe these parents cook special meals for their kids at home. They are not doing these kids any favors.

I also believe that kids need to try new things to see if they like it. If you just serve them food and then just take it away without a word they won't ever try anything. I myself have a very limited foods experiences. I grew up on macaroni and ground beef. I struggle with my weight and variety. Maybe that is why I feel it so strongly about giving kids a good head start as a child with better eating habits than I have (fruits and veggies daily)!
    Last edited by mickyc; 03-27-2015 at 11:36 AM.

Euphoric !
    That's frustrating! What kind of cup does he drink out of? Straw cups are better (from what I've read) as they help the child use and strengthen the muscles they need to swallow. Do you think something like that could be the issue...maybe he doesn't know how to chew and swallow properly?? I've never had a child hold food in their mouth but maybe someone who has could offer suggestions!

I would give C very very small portions and if he finishes he can have more. Maybe it overwhelms him?

We don't have treats around here very often so I don't worry about whether they ate or not to get their dessert. Maybe decrease the treats? When we do have a treat, I do try to make sure they've ate a good portion of their lunch though. If we do have a treat, it's usually at afternoon snack....I don't want them all sugared up LOL

IMO...I've had better experiences by just giving the child the same food over and over versus making them eat it. They eventually will taste it when they realize you won't quit making it...or they get hungry enough lol. Like lee bee said, you don't want to get into power struggles. Remember there is more to eating healthy than just daily fruit and veggies.
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 03-27-2015 at 11:41 AM.

Euphoric !
    He will eat and actually today he is doing well. By teats I mean whatever grain we are eating. He would eat only grain/carbs if I let him which is why I don't allow him to just pick what he wants. I give him the smallest portion but really if I made it smaller he would get nothing. He drinks with a straw cup. He also consumes very little liquid in a day as well.

Expansive...
    I have a picky eater too. She's been with me for 2 years and to this day will not even TRY drinking a smoothie. Everyone else loves them so I serve them often. There are some days where she almost doesn't eat at all. She will eat the carb portion of the meal, then say she's done and leaves the table because she knows that if she wants seconds she has to have to veggie/fruit/protein portion of the meal as well. she gets a (junkie) snack as soon as she gets home so she will starve herself anyways.

I've talked to parents and they've told me they encourage her to eat healthy at home. Which is a total FARCE!!! DCG has been telling me herself that mommy and daddy give her Kraft noodles while they eat "rice" or something. She talks about Kraft noodles ALL THE TIME. That and goldfish and milk I think are staple in her diet.

There isn't mich we can do. As lee bee said it's our job to put healthy food in front of them and thats it. I know I am not going to get into a big power struggle over it nor am I going to force her to eat. The parents know how I do things, the rest is on them.

Outgoing
    Have you tried smoothies? Ice cubes, milk and frozen fruit is what I use but you could try the kind of juice that has fruits and veggies in it. You said he drinks with a straw cup, if you make it smooth enough that might work. I actually give my kids spoons with the cup. They think thats fun. I obviously haven't seen this kid in "action" but if he would drink 1/2 or even 1/4 of a cup in a reasonable time then maybe then he'd move on with the meal.

From what you are describing, it sounds like he might have swallowing issues, like 5LM said. I have worked with kids that do. It is a physical thing he has to learn. I am only suggesting because he eats so slowly at home too which suggests that it isn't about being stubborn with you. If it is physical, maybe a little occupational therapy might help. Is there any other 'warning' signs too? Does he talk, sing, blow? Does he seem to have a strong gag reflex?

Maybe his teeth hurt. Has he been to a dentist yet? Maybe he has a really strong sense of taste. Maybe he doesn't like the taste of anything. When I was a kid, I couldn't eat most veggies cooked because they tasted like dirt to me.