Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Km's you use a year for daycare running around

Hey everyone, I am just wondering does anyone have an idea of how many km's they use for their running around for the daycare. I feel like its a crazy amount on my end. Can any of you throw a number that you have claimed or are claiming this year. Thanks in advance.

Outgoing
    I live in the country and often have to drive to Ont. to get daycare things I need. I don't claim any of it. I know I can, but if I was ever audited, how could I prove what I used. Yes, I can keep track of the km I travelled, but I also buy my own stuff when shopping too. Just too much of a murky area for me to want to wade into. It also seems like it might be the kind of thing that gives the CRA a red flag, maybe. I don't know. Just a quick estimate, about 2,000kms, just for daycare stuff.

Euphoric !
    Irrelevant what someone else claiming. I live PEI. i.e. middle of nowhere. It's 50kms to nearest big grocery store and another province for Costco. So, for me, we have two car, mine not used much as I work at home, but almost 80% of my kms is daycare - grocery, bank.

If I driving into town, I make sure all household errands done in that trip as it not an evening event for sure.

Too many variable to answer you question. Some live almost next to their stores, meaning lower business kms. Esp if they do lot of personal km driving own kids around to extra curricular activity. Some have more than one car, some just one. Some have partner driving shared car, some not have partner. Some live hermit like lifestyle and only do minimal trips to stores and can claim 100% of their travel.

Euphoric !
    Oh ladies claim it!! It makes a big difference. I have an amazing accountant though so don't have to figure it out. I just have all totals ready for him, keep all gas receipts all year long. It makes a big difference! Also don't forget to claim your vehicle repairs, maintenance and insurance.

Outgoing
    Can we use Revenue Canada Automobile Allowance Rates for 2014? They break it down by province. This takes into its calculations gas and maintenance. I Google map distances to the toy lending Centre, library, bank, and shared grocery mileage there and back. Figure out frequency (weekly, monthly) and multiply by their rate. Every bit helps so definitely would claim as the driving adds up over the year more than u realize.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by ebhappydc View Post
    Can we use Revenue Canada Automobile Allowance Rates for 2014? They break it down by province. This takes into its calculations gas and maintenance. I Google map distances to the toy lending Centre, library, bank, and shared grocery mileage there and back. Figure out frequency (weekly, monthly) and multiply by their rate. Every bit helps so definitely would claim as the driving adds up over the year more than u realize.
    No. Can't use these rates.

But you have receipt for day care purchases, yes? Just write on that the kms from your house to store then double it - you have to drive back home too.

On Jan 1st note kms on car. On Dec 31st note kms on car. It simple.

January 01 kms = 10,000 December 31 = 20,000 mean 10,000 kms driven in the year.

Day care receipt kms's add up to 5,000, that means 50% of kms iS daycare and 50% is personal. Can claim 50% of annual gas costs, insurance, maintenance, winter tires, parking, plate registration. It simple.

Euphoric !
    I have a spreadsheet I made to keep track of my expenses. Similar to this - date; store; km driven; amount claiming; amount of receipt; description

So every trip to Walmart is 13 km's for me. When I do my spreadsheet for all my receipts I have 13 km's for all Walmart trips- put in formula at bottom to add up all totals then I give my accountant my total km's driven for the year. No keeping track of actual km's in vehicle etc. it ends up being a lot by the end of the year

Outgoing
    In the never ending online search... from the CRA's Pamphlet Using Your Home For Daycare (P134) Found here: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/p1....html#P98_5077

Motor vehicle expenses

If you use your vehicle occasionally for business purposes, you might benefit from claiming motor vehicle expenses on a per trip basis. For example, taking the children to a park or on an excursion may involve expenses for fuel and parking.

However, if you regularly use your vehicle for business and personal trips, you can claim part of the total operating expenses for this vehicle as a business expense. You must keep accurate records that show the portion of the total kilometres that were driven to earn business income. For more information on motor vehicle records, see Keeping records.

Operating expenses include :
    •licence and registration fees;
    •insurance;
    •gas and oil;
    •maintenance and repairs;
    •interest you pay on a loan used to buy a vehicle;
    •leasing costs.

Do not include any capital cost allowance (CCA) in the calculation of your operating expenses. Instead, claim any CCA on line 9936 of Form T2125. For more information about CCA, see Capital cost allowance.

To calculate the vehicle expenses you can claim, multiply the total operating expenses for the vehicle by the business kilometres and divide the result by the total kilometres.

Report the motor vehicle operating expense on line 9281 of Form T2125.

Note

There is a limit to the amount of interest, leasing costs and CCA you can deduct for a vehicle you use for your daycare. We explain these limits in Chapter 3, “Motor vehicle expenses”, of Guide T4002.

Example

Kayla runs a daycare in her home. Every week, she uses her van to take the children out to a museum or a gallery. In the year, she drove a total of 20,000 kilometres. Out of those, she drove 2,500 kilometres for the outings with the children. The operating expenses for Kayla’s van were $3,700.

She calculates the business part of these expenses as follows:

$3,700 in operating expenses × (2,500 ÷ 20,000 km ) = $462.50

Kayla can deduct $462.50 for the business part of her vehicle expenses.