Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Letting a family go

Hi,
    I have been operating a day home now for over 8yrs and have come across all sorts if families. Up to this point I have never had to let a family go. Has anyone ever let a family go? If so how did you go about doing it?
    Thank you
    Neen

I have. Some caregivers give written notice. I just do it verbally. I just tell them I'm giving my wks notice and state the reason. Never had an issue. Everyone was understanding.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I have only ever terminated one family and it came as a surprise to both of us! During a telephone conversation, the mom became quite rude and accusatory (she even tried to suggest that I treated them differently because of their race...Soooo NOT true!!). I told the mom that this wouldn't work out any longer (I had issues with her before this convo in regard to late pick ups and payment problems) and I was terminating care but I'd give her 2 weeks to find another provider. She wasn't happy with this but agreed. The next day I got some angry and nasty texts from her and I ended up gathering her child's items and taking them to her house and finalizing all the paperwork. We had a conversation at her house and to be honest, she made me so mad (she had made up her own conclusions of what happened and wouldn't listen to what I had to say...she even accused me of charging her more than the other families, again NOT true but she misread a newsletter addressed to another child...that she opened without permission!!) that I actually don't even remember the end of the conversation. I said goodbye to her child and left. I dread the day I run into her at the store lol

I agree with Suzy...stay professional! Even though I was angry at the mom I kept calm (I'm usually a crier when I'm so upset lol) and just kept to the facts, tried to keep emotion out of it. She was crying which actually annoyed me because I felt they were fake and she just wanted me to back down and take them back (which I found to be strange because we obviously didn't see eye to eye and didn't get along lol) she had a very entitled personality which I don't like at all and picked up on during our first interview. I wish I had listened to my gut and not took them on but it was a slow period and I needed the money. I learnt some valuable business lessons from her though so it's all good now
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 03-30-2015 at 01:52 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Neen View Post
    Hi,
    I have been operating a day home now for over 8yrs and have come across all sorts if families. Up to this point I have never had to let a family go. Has anyone ever let a family go? If so how did you go about doing it?
    Thank you
    Neen
    I have - twice.

One family wanted 6am start. I not normally open until 7.30, earliest. I agreed but only on trial. It too much in Winter. So I gave notice letter, stating reason, when last day of care would be, monies owed.

Second time, family late pay two times. I give notice effective immediately.

My contracts cover both. They say what conditions I will immediately terminate and for anything else, if either wants to end the contract, can with notice.

Termination of Contract
    Immediate termination is available to the provider if ;
    A child’s behaviour threatens the physical or emotional well-being of anyone else in the day home,
    if a parent is verbally, physically abusive or threatening to any persons in the day home,
    for non-payment,
    for failure to disclose non-immunization or
    for “dosing and dropping” to hide symptoms of illness which would deem a child as needing 24 hour exclusion.
    In these circumstances a charge of 28 days (4 weeks) fees in lieu of the written notice will be applied.

Termination by either party for any other reasons requires four weeks written notice. Fees are
    due regardless of attendance for the notice period. For those who have more than one child in
    my care, the notice period is six weeks.
    EDIT - reason I do in writing, is so that I can prove it's been done. Same as reason as them giving me notice. I not accept verbally - otherwise, they can claim end date different than what should be.

It hard. You will feel guilt. It might be awkward for notice time when kid still coming. Parent will be upset and might get nasty. Just be professional.
    Last edited by Suzie_Homemaker; 03-30-2015 at 01:43 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Thank you lady's for your replies! For 2yrs I've been dealing with a chronically late parent (even with late fees). I know I should have stopped this a long time ago, but I've always liked to give people the benefit of the doubt. Time to put a stop to this madness.
    Neen

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Neen For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Good for you Neen. I let a client go once. I did it one on one conversation and in writing asking for their signature at the bottom and return to my attention. I had to let them go because dcg was in care for almost 9 weeks and she was still crying everyday. Funny because as soon as I gave them 4 weeks notice she stopped ! Then 3 weeks after one after school dcb got a spot at his school dc and the parents asked if she could come back. She did and she’s been amazing ever since.

As far as late pick up, that's a big pet peeve of mine. I enforce my late payment fee. I had to increase it to $1/minute. And no more late pick-up lol

Good luck and let us know how it went