Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Tired of chasing parents for payment

Do any of you ladies have the issue of having to constantly remind parents of payment? I'm so tired of it and it's embarrassing to have to chase people for my pay at the end of the week. I have some great parents that I never have issues with, but there are a couple that I constantly have to remind to pay me. What is wrong with these people? They are grown adults...why can't they get their crap together?

Outgoing
    I completely agree. I have decided recently to implement new rules in my new contracts that all parents will have to give me the contract's worth of post dated cheques. Like you, I am tired of reminding people, making calls, I shouldn't have to chase people.

Sometimes I think we should treat the parents like the kids. Let them learn the consequences for their actions. If they think they don't have to remember because they know you will remind them, what would happen if instead of reminding them, you just hand them a termination notice? Logical consequence?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    The only way to stop it is to stop letting it happen!!! Honestly, if it happens more then once by innocent mistake then you are allowing them to get away with it. ALWAYS get paid in advance of care. For example, payment is due Monday for the coming week. Parent shows up Monday without money.....they take their kid home with them until they come back with payment.

If you keep caring for their kids "for free" they won't be in any hurry to pay you on time!! Sent them packing until they pay...bet they start remembering to pay on time!

Also, you should not be embarrassed. They should be embarrassed!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wonderwiper For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home... FSD's Avatar
    I had one parent who would always pay me 3 days late. He knew payday was on Friday's, but that didn't matter. I let it slide, even though I groaned about it all the time. Finally, I had the "balls" to write him an email and tell him that if payment wasn't made on time, a $20 late charge would be added. So far so good....

I really don't understand these people. Do they not realize that this is our JOB!? I mean, would they be OK with having to constantly remind their employer to pay them? It's very annoying, and disrespectful.

Outgoing
    I went through that a few years ago...I now get paid Monday morning...no pay...no childcare...it honestly works! Had a problem with cheques once....I had a mom just recently (after being here 1.5 years and know FULL WELL I DON'T ACCEPT CHEQUES ...THEY TRIED IT ONCE BEFORE....) lay a cheque on the table at front door...I looked at her and said "since when do I accept cheques: I don't do cheques"....she was like "oh I thought you did"...same parent after 1.5 years looked at me one day and said "how much do we pay you"...AS SHE IS STANDING THERE WITH THE EXACT PAYMENT IN HER HAND....SHE SAYS..."OH I THOUGHT IT WAS 10.00 LESS THAN THIS...WTF....SERIOU SLY? I swear sometimes I couldn't take all 5 sets of parents put together and actually come up with a ROOM TEMPERATURE IQ

Outgoing
    If you don't already have one, impose a late fee and make it substantial, like 20 dollars a day, with a maximum of 3 days, at which time you can terminate immediately for non payment of fees. Write a memo or email to everyone, and tell them effective immediately that these late fees will be implemented. Also in the e-mail, make a point of mentioning that as clients paying for a service, it is their responsibility to pay on time to avoid late fees.

Here is part of the memo i sent at contract renewal time:
    Please note that effective January 1st, 2015, I will be charging additional fees for late payments, late pick ups of children and care outside of regularly contracted hours as it is stated in my handbook and contract. In the past, I have been very lenient with late fees and late payments, which, at times, causes alterations in my plans (i.e. groceries, banking etc). Please remember to hand in weekly fees on the last day of care for the week (during regular daycare hours) to avoid any late payment fees. Also, please remember to pick up your children by your contracted pick up time to avoid late pick up fees.

Here is my late payment policy:
    After closing time, the late fee will be added. ($20.00 per day). If full payment is not made within 3 days (including weekends and holidays), your child will not be accepted into care until full payment, including all late fees, is made. In the same way that a utility payment, credit card payment, etc is charged interest when late payments are made, I also charge for late payment. If a period of 1 week passes without full payment received, the contract will be terminated, the position filled, and the collection process begun. You will be responsible for any and all costs related to collection of the child care fees, including, but not limited to lawyer/court costs, collection agency fees, etc.

*If payments are frequently or habitually late, daycare services will need to be paid in full, one week in advance of contracted days of care. In that circumstance, I will not care for the child unless payments are made in full before care begins. I reserve the right to determine when pre-payment for care is necessary.

In the same way that your employer pays you on your regular payday, I expect fees to be paid on my regular payday. It would not be acceptable to you if your employer were frequently late with your paycheck. I expect the same respect regarding payment on time.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by sandylynn View Post
    I went through that a few years ago...I now get paid Monday morning...no pay...no childcare...it honestly works! Had a problem with cheques once....I had a mom just recently (after being here 1.5 years and know FULL WELL I DON'T ACCEPT CHEQUES ...THEY TRIED IT ONCE BEFORE....) lay a cheque on the table at front door...I looked at her and said "since when do I accept cheques: I don't do cheques"....she was like "oh I thought you did"...same parent after 1.5 years looked at me one day and said "how much do we pay you"...AS SHE IS STANDING THERE WITH THE EXACT PAYMENT IN HER HAND....SHE SAYS..."OH I THOUGHT IT WAS 10.00 LESS THAN THIS...WTF....SERIOU SLY? I swear sometimes I couldn't take all 5 sets of parents put together and actually come up with a ROOM TEMPERATURE IQ
    I am seriously not trying to be picky, and there is no excuse for the parents not to pay on time...but if I'm remembering the other thread correctly, you don't have a written contract, am I right? And your parents pay in cash? Maybe that's another reason why a contract is a good thing. I know for me, (I am old fashioned) I often have to look up in my cheque book register what I paid for something. Even the bills that are the same every month. Sometimes I draw a blank. And I am usually really good with remembering numbers. Again, not an excuse. Maybe an explanation?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsmom View Post
    Do any of you ladies have the issue of having to constantly remind parents of payment?
    No. If they late, I phone them and remind. It must be EMT'd immediately. If they don't, I refuse care next day until paid in full. If they still not pay, plus late payment fee, then terminated with 4 weeks fee in lieu of notice. I am not going to beg for my money. Pay me on time, or get out.

Euphoric !
    I don't have too much issue with late payments but there is the odd time a parent forgets to bring it Friday morning so they bring it at Friday pickup instead. It is very clear in my contract that if you don't pay you will be asked to find another daycare.

I send home a payment sheet of all the year's payment days when they enroll, I write them down with the amount owed on their monthly newsletter and I occasionally put a reminder on the fb dc page for times like this week when I'm closed today so payment was due yesterday. Superfun and I were talking once and she had mentioned how she was going to start putting out a sign that said "payment due today" and I thought that was a good idea. I have one mom who always has her payment but sometimes forgets to give it to me in the morning rush to get to work so a sign like that would help jog her memory without me having to ask for it (which I will do if needed but I don't like too lol) If I had parents who were forgetful I would make a double sided sign actually and hang it by the coat rack. Thursday's it would say "payment due tomorrow" and Friday it would say "Payment due today"....it's quick, easy and visual and if parents still had trouble with payments after that, I think I would just terminate!

Some people just aren't as great as others with having their crap together!! I think we all have weaknesses. As long as I'm paid by Friday afternoon I am happy

Outgoing
    my sign worked so well last time! I'm glad you mentioned it, because next Friday is payday and I want to do it again. I'm the one with the terrible memory around here, so I often forget it's pay day until someone pays me. Last month, I put the sign up for my problem family, but I know they were all really busy at work leading up to parent teacher interviews, and it helped remind my good paying families too!