Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Your childhood toys

Does anyone have any of their own childhood toys in their daycare? I mean toys and dolls in good condition, of course. I am wondering if this is considered a good thing by prospective parents.
    Last edited by kindertime; 10-07-2017 at 11:42 AM.

Outgoing
    I think it's nice so long as clean and in good shape. I have really old books (Noddy) passed down from mom-law, and sturdy old truck. Not sure if I have to be concerned about lead but I don't bring it out often , have the old Fischer Price record player that seems unbreakable. Guess we have to be prepared if gets broken - so make sure you wouldn't be too sad about a really sentimental piece. I have dolls too but no girls on the horizon in my dc!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ebhappydc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I think this will largely depend on your client base. Are you attracting older, new moms or are do you have younger moms. I would think it is safe to assume that most younger moms are of the generation that want new stuff, constantly and having someone show you a daycare filled with their really old toys is leaving the impression you are too cheap to buy new toys!

Keep in mind that any and ALL sentiment in those old toys are yours and yours alone. No on else has that connection or those memories with those toys, so they see them as old toys.

I'm not saying I agree, but this is more or less the way society is heading (in my opinion and experience). We have old toys for our daughter. Both my husband and I have many stuffed animals we've passed on (I wash them regularly). Three of these are original carebears that my husband saved. They are my daughters favorite and she sleeps with them. They mean something to her because they are her special bears, they mean a lot to my husband because he grew up with them and was able to pass them on. Would I use them in 'selling' my daycare? Never. I just don't see it as being a selling feature.

If it makes you happy to see your old toys getting more play then keep at it! Hopefully you get a few parents that appreciate it...but I wouldn't expect it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I have a few toys my son use to play with and now he is busy studying at uni I like to use them in the daycare and like the children playing with them , but I am also aware they could get broken and I can live this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Van For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    i would say as long as they are in good condition its perfectly fine. they aren't that much different than toys today.
    My cabbage patch doll Simon sits on my dresser in my bedroom and i don't even let my poor daughter play with him! lol

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kassiemom For This Useful Post:

I have my kids childhood toys from 10+ years ago, but mine have a sentimental value to me that even my kids don't understand. I wouldn't want to risk anything getting damaged in my daycare.

I have held onto some of my own kids toys to give to their kids. My son has hot wheels from about 8 or 9 years ago. Shoe boxes full of them! I also have some Disney alphabet blocks, not toys, that were on display when my daughter was born. I bought them over the course of my pregnancy and I have them to pass down too. As well as books, lots and lots of books :-)

I have also kept every manual for every Lego set my son has ever had, call me anal lol, and even now when my son is bored and not willing to fork out his own $100-$200 for a set because he can't wait till Xmas, we break them down and then with Ziploc bags recreate the kit and he builds it again. That's likely what I will do when I put them away in a few years when he is no longer interested so they are ready to be built and played with by the next generation. Lego never gets old

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    My Mother-in-law kept all of my hubby's lego and when my son was 4 he felt it was Xmas when the BIG box of lego came down from the attic and it was now his!!!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Van For This Useful Post: