Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cubbies

Euphoric !

Cubbies

This is kind of a weird question but I have 5 cubbies. This is a new system I bought from a daycare centre that was selling off their old stuff. I currently have 5 kids (4 dck + my DD) but this will change when I come back from vacation as I have taken on a part time child.

Do I boot my daughter out of the cubbies and give her cubby to the new child? Or have the daycare child just use some hooks I have as she will only be here 3 days per week and therefore probably not store stuff here. My daycare is separate from my home so my daughter does use the cubby with all her stuff during the week and she is also the oldest kid (3 yo). The new DCG is only a yr old and won't know any better but I am not sure if her parents may mind?? Would the part time thing make sense to the new parents?

Euphoric !
    Your daughter has plenty of other options for storing her things. She has bedroom and all the family space. I would assign the 5 cubbies to the 5 children who not have their own personal rooms in your house as someone that is dedicated for their small belonging.

It not matter that your daycare is separate. Either get 6 places or if only have 5, then treat all day care children same. Your daughter has options.

I don't agree. My daughter wants to feel apart of the daycare and the same. She would be sad if I gave her cubbie away. I have the four full timers plus my daughter in the five cubbies and my two part timers get some hooks and bins. Parents never said anything and everyone is happy

Euphoric !
    NO! You are setting your child up to act out by booting her in favor of a new child. If the new child is only a year old then give her a special place for her items and let your daughter keep HER spot.

While we don't need to treat our own children as special/better than DCK's I do feel it is unwise to treat them as being less important or different in this manner. Despite living in your home your child still needs a place of her own to store her items while in daycare...just like any other daycare child.

Since this new child is only three part time I would use that and the reason that she started last as the reason for why she doesn't have a cubbie (when she is old enough to ask).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Why not ask your daughter? She's 3, and may well have an opinion. She might not mind moving or she might want to stay. If you don't care, one way or the other, let her decide.

Euphoric !
    I was thinking like Lee Bee and Babydom. I think my daughter would care if she got booted and I could use the part time thing as the reason for the other parents. I just worried because they are paying me that they may not like it. I like the idea of asking my daughter, however I don't want her to think she has too much power. I can see her changing her mind and this becoming a power struggle. She already thinks she is "in charge" at times.

I would not worry about the parents. Yes they are paying you. But to love their child. I don't think it matters where the child's coat is hung