Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Removing a child / CAS

Hello,
    I'll explain what happened in detail last week with 2 of the children.

One of the children out of the blue threw another child off a play chair.. The child who got thrown had severe scratches and a few bruises on her arm. This was an act of violence I've never seen before... She grabbed her so hard and threw her off. This all happened so quickly and all while I was changing a diaper. I ran over (10 feet away), to help the injured child and in the meantime the child who hurt is now grabbing her own face and "self hurting" herself all while screaming blue murder!! I immediately put her in time out in hopes to explain that it wasn't nice and she doesnt do it again!!
    I was so mad that I immediately expelled her. The father of the other child (injured) is a police office and said this is assault and was furious.
    Now, this parent (the girl who hurt the other one and herself), works for CAS. She told me she had no choice but to report this. She said she only reported the pictures.
    Has anyone ever dealt with a similar story or can anyone help?
    I've never had anything like this ever happen and I've always had a nice group of children. I can get amazing references from current and past parents.
    She said If they are to contact me it will be this week. What do you think might happen?
    Last edited by Kimpaque; 04-06-2015 at 07:53 AM.

Starting to feel at home...
    Wait... Assault?? I understand as a parent being furious and I understand as a police officer, the law... But come on!! Assault.. These are babies... They have no idea that they are "assaulting" someone, hence we as their providers and parents have/need to teach them!! It doesn't take one time, or two times to teach them either!! And I think reporting the incident to Cas was a little far fetched as well...their babies, we teach, we warn and we discipline. I think both parents went a little over the top. I understand your frustration and the need to handle it they way you did as this happened in your care,but as long as this is or was not an on going situation, I think the parents blew the whole situation out of proportion.

this child (who hurt the other child and herself), got scratched by another child 2 weeks before. Kids will be kids and things happen. Like you said it's our job to teach them to be nice to each other and what's right/wrong. She verbally accused me of "lack of supervision".. Are you kidding me? It takes 2 seconds for a child to do something and I can't always have eyes everywhere. In this case I was changing a diaper so it took 10-20 seconds before I could safely put the child down and run (10 feet away) to the situation. She said her injuries are more than 2 seconds .. Of course it is. Kids can harm themselves quickly by pulling/scratching and pinching themselves the way she was...
    Yes I think both parents went overboard... This child was leaving in 2 weeks (mother on mat leave) therefore I decided it was best to let her go and not the other child AND because of what she did!!

Jippers this is a mess. I agree the parents went overboard. It is not assault. They are kids not adults. I have to laugh at that one! And report to cas? But y it was her kid that hurt, she should report herself! Crazy. I wouldn't worry to much. Let cas do their job, come in ask questions see your place. Just be honest and answer their questions and make sure ur house is clean and child safe. If you have nothing to hide then don't be scared. And just a tip.....from experience...never hire on a family that one or both the parents are cops or work for cas!

Euphoric !
    I feel for you. How old are these children?

I would be tempted to call in the injured child's parents (the police officer) for a very frank discussion. If they wish to keep their child in your care then they need to understand that you are caring for a group of young, unpredictable, inexperienced children. They do not 'assault' each other, they act impulsively. As a police officer he needs to know how to leave his work at work. You can not feel that you are being judged and feel like the children's every move will be analyzed like a crime scene!

Let them know what steps you take to teach the children how to behave but let them know that with multiple children you cannot constantly be watching each child's every move. They need to be comfortable with that. If they are uncomfortable then suggest they get a nanny who is paid to watch their child's every move.

As for the CAS report. I don't understand this move either. Who/what is she reporting. If a child self injures, or even if a child is injured by their daycare peers it isn't something to be dealt with through CAS unless it is a repetitive matter that shows signs of neglect/abuse by the care giver. Is the mother aware the injured child's father is a police officer and is trying to deflect the attention?

It sounds like you no longer have this child in care? If you do, the child may need to be placed in a playpen while you are doing diaper changes until you can get a sense of what is going on to prevent a repeat scenario.

Expansive...
    Poor you !!! The 2 parents need to keep their opinions at their work and not drag it to your daycare. Things happen so fast and your were changing a diaper , you are human not super woman.
    If and it is a big If , CAS gets involved they will see it was an emotional preg. Mom who over-reacted when she heard her child hit another child and then hit herself , and she is probable worried how this child will deal with the new baby and the new circumstances that they will have at home and also being at home with Mom and the baby and not learning to socialize with friends of her own age.
    Keep your head up and smile , you did nothing wrong.

Outgoing
    Agree babydom....I don't do cops either

Sounds to me like the reporting to CAS is actually aimed at the OP/Daycare provider. Even though it was their child who caused harm to another, I get the idea that they are going to try and push this in the direction of how you neglected to take close enough care of the child causing this incident to happen....from what you have told that they said, that is the impression I'm getting.

I do think this is all kinds of ridiculous and would hope that it's either just an empty threat and hot air coming out of this mothers mouth, or that the CAS workers supervisor won't follow up because there are no grounds. Sounds like a whole heap of mess to me. Bloody police officer, assault my ass!

Starting to feel at home...
    This is crazy. Kids are unpredictable and are unable to govern their emotions like an adult. My daughter got bit so bad at daycare she had the mark for weeks. Did I freak? No. Would I if she got beat up regularly...maybe..
    That said, my daughter spent 1/2 day pulling the chair out from under another kid. Did his parents freak. No. Was my daughter disciplined by the caregiver and at home, yes. People need to have a reality check sometimes. Geez.