Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

How to announce you're closing your dc

Hey everyone, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to tell parents I'm closing. I'm writing a letter explaining my reasons and the last day of care but i love my dcp I want to be able to tell them face to face. But all the parents show up once after the other and I don't want one parent coming in the middle of my conversation. I'm thinking maybe setting up a phone call? Or simply writing everyone an email then giving them the official letter. I've been dreading this moment since I know they will be so upset, it kills me. Any tips or suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Expansive...
    I've been debating this too. In the end though I really think it's a conversation that should happen face to face. I get that it's awkward when another parent walks in, but it's really as easy as saying "oh hi DCP, I was just telling other dcp that I have some news etc..." Have a notice in paper to hand them and that's that.

Hmmm that is a tough one. Thoughts on perhaps a personal phone call to each one evening?
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Also, I would probably go the extra step and investigate if any surrounding providers have any space to offer?
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

I plan on writing a letter as a formality but speaking to the parent's face to face. I know pick up time can be crazy but fortunately for me I have two late drop offs in the morning, one is leaving for school at the same time as I'm closing so a non issue for them anyway, but that allows me to have 5 minutes with the parent dropping off and only two others at pick up time to contend with as the other child is also going to school and his mom also knows I'm closing already. There are many occasions when these people collect together but also other times when they don't so I'll play it by ear.

I understand the not wanting several people to collect every time you just started telling one parent, then the next and the next. I'd maybe arrange for a telephone call with them individually and that way you are having a personal conversation with them without the distraction of the other children and their families, but they can talk further if they'd like at drop off and pick up but with this being common knowledge already.

In your letter I would refrain from explaining to much why you are closing, just the basics, because I think it can easily become like an "I'm sorry to inconvenience you" kinda tone which is not okay IMO. You shouldn't be sorry to be closing. You are moving onto new pastures. Wishing them the best of luck for the future is one thing, but I can imagine some people feel the need to over explain themselves even justifying their choices to others which really isn't necessary, as though they are doing wrong by these families which is not the case.

I would not personally advise looking for alternative care in the area. It is personal preference and unless I actually knew someone personally, I wouldn't be recommending anyone. That is down to them and up to them to determine. I don't want to pass info on of complete strangers. I would however offer them a list of resources for finding alternative care like websites that advertise and recommending anything more locally applicable such as the ROCK/OEYC. If they ask for recommendations I would simply state that you know of a few providers but you don't know them well enough to recommend them. That way there is no worry on whether you are recommending a good provider to them or not. That is their job to do not yours and not doing it doesn't mean you are in some way a bad person.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamalittledream View Post
    Also, I would probably go the extra step and investigate if any surrounding providers have any space to offer?
    I disagree. It's the parents job to find an appropriate daycare for their child, not ours. The only time I think giving references would be okay was if I personally knew someone who was in the biz and who had openings. But it's really not our job nor our place to scope out random daycares for parents.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fun&care For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Bright...how will you word your notice? I need to write one up soon as I will be giving notice by the end of the month. Any one else with input is welcome too!

I'm not sure but what about coffee? All moms come over one night? Or all parents come for a play date? U tell everyone at once? I don't know that may be silly and cutting into your time. Lol. But defiantly has to be face to face. And I agree with dreamalittledream. If u know of other daycares around or see providers at the park ask if they have openings so u can pass on their names. Yes it's the parents job but we can also help out other daycares who are looking to fill spots. Good luck!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Thanks everyone, I agree with you bright sparks, not to list too many reasons, just the basics. I feel bad mostly because most of my parents saw tons of providers before picking me and tell me over and over how blessed they were to find me. Knowing I'm closing puts a bit of guilt. But i know I'm not doing anything wrong. I've decided a phone conversation will be best, followed by a written notice as per my contract.

Euphoric !
    Why not do it verbally in just a couple sentences at the door saying for xx reason or just for personal reasons or whatever you have decided that you need to close your daycare and that you will be sending everyone an email later tonight with more details.

Then in the email give whatever reasons you want, thank them for using your services then give the details - when your last day is, the arrangements that need to be made.

You could also include some links of places to look for an alternate provider as well as provide with a list of names of people you have spoken to already that have a space for the timeframe you need so they are not left in the lurch.

Spell out exactly what the departure format will be in terms of dates and expectations for notice if other than whatever date, etc.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post: