Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Teachers kids

Teachers kids

Probably asked this before. But do u charge the parents the whole summer normal rate if they are teachers and off but want to come back in the fall? Even if they won't send their child in the summer?

Starting to feel at home...
    I have a part time dcg who's mom is a teacher. I don't charge anything for taking the summer off, as the 2 schoolage kids I have FT in the summer offsets my income. Plus this little one is quite a handful so I am going to enjoy not having her through the summer!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mattsmom For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I have looked after teachers a lot over the years...I held them to 2 full days pay a week to hold the spot weather they came or not...THEY CAME...LOL

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sandylynn For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I have had a few teachers and have another signed up for sept. I charge for spring break and Christmas break although I offer a $5 reduced rate when people are on holidays. I offer this to all my families though providing I get 1 month notice of their holiday time.

For teachers I do not charge for summer providing I can fill my 2 months with another child. It has never been an issue. I have one family with an older child so she always comes for the 2 months. The teachers must leave a 2 week deposit in June for sept. If they were to ever decide to not come back in sept they are required to give 3 weeks PAID notice. They also know that in the event I cannot fill the spot for summer that they are required to pay for it to hold it (at a $5 day reduced fee for my holiday rate).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

I would charge a 50% retainer for the summer that had to be paid in full on the last day of school so nobody would jump ship. They pay a 2 week deposit like everyone else for their last 2 weeks of care.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    They can either send their child as normal, keep them home and pay my holiday rate ($10 less) or if I can find someone who only needs summer care they are not charged.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    A 2 week deposit given in June to hold it for September, as well as 1/2 the monthly fees to hold it and not use it, or 3 day a week minimum to attend.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by babydom View Post
    Probably asked this before. But do u charge the parents the whole summer normal rate if they are teachers and off but want to come back in the fall? Even if they won't send their child in the summer?
    I charged based on days registered for care, not attendence. I do not amend that based on who the parent is employed by. (school board). When I have a school board employee here, they are very clear that payment is required all summer, regardless of attendance. They can send their child or keep them home, it's up to them, but I don't cut my income.

Here, teachers are contracted to teach 195 days a year. Teachers average $60k for those 195 days. Strictly speaking, no they don't get paid for the summer which is common argument from a teacher but heck, they are well compensated for the handful days they do work since the salary is not pro-rated based on worked days/days off. If a teacher is not able to set aside some money from those paid 195 days to cover the remaining 170 days OFF they get, then I don't want them in my dayhome because their money management skills are so poor, I'll likely have other issues being paid.

I know my local school board actually deals with "banked hours" meaning that the 195 days teachers do work, are spread over 10 months but rather than take their income as salary/10 months, they bank part of it and take a slightly smaller pay cheque each month, and bank some hours/pay. This ends up with them earning their salary over 10 months but being paid for 12. If you ignore all the mumbo jumbo about that, it's the same as the rest of the world who does get paid leave. The annual salary is divide into 12 monthly pays or maybe 26 bi-weekly pays resulting in paid leave, and same income year round.

I don't have contracts specific to nurses, doctors, teachers or any other profession. If they want one of my spaces, they pay for it year round. If they don't want to pay for it, they can go somewhere else.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

I agree with Suzie on this one. I currently have this situation happening here and i'm going to terminate and probably be weary of taking in Teachers kids from here on out. DCP is always griping about how they have to pay for March Break, the summer, extra days off here and there and always trying to work a deal to get "free days" when i already offer 2 weeks per contracted year for "free day" usage. They say they can't afford to pay over the summer as they are not being paid (read Suzies point on this) just shows poor money management and the want to try and negotiate how they can not pay for the summer. Sad to see the little guy go but not worth the constant headache!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Beanie For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Suzie can I ask how you word it when the parent requests a discount for the summer?? I have a family where both parents are teachers and when they registered their son last September they did ask about the summer months, and I told them at the time we would figure it out closer to the date (I was just opened a few months prior and learning about the ins and outs). I would prefer to keep their son in my care as he is a great fit and same age as the others enrolled, but also am not willing to give up income for two months. I can't. How do you tell people?