Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Teachers kids

You just say unfortunately I do not offer any discounts for teachers or siblings. Fees are due regardless if child is here or not.

I have a higher rate for teachers.

my regular rate is $225/week ($45/day) for full time care.

Teachers : Full Time Only. No care over the summer

September to end of April
    $300/week ($60/day)
    No care over the summer May to August
    Deposit $600

September to end of June
    $270/week ($54/day)
    No care over the summer July & August
    Deposit $540

There is a non-refundable "summer holding fee" built into the enrollment fee. This fee is spreed out over the 9 months (September to May) or 10 months (September to June). If your start care after the first week of September, than you will need to pay the remained of the "summer holding fee". This fee is to be paid either by adding it to your bi-weekly enrollment fee or paid in full at time of enrollment. The "summer holding fee" is to hold your spot (guarantee you a spot in the next school year) ONLY. It does not cover enrollment fee for care over the summer.

This way They don't have to worry about paying over the summer and I don't have to worry about my bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie_Homemaker View Post
    I charged based on days registered for care, not attendence. I do not amend that based on who the parent is employed by. (school board). When I have a school board employee here, they are very clear that payment is required all summer, regardless of attendance. They can send their child or keep them home, it's up to them, but I don't cut my income.

Here, teachers are contracted to teach 195 days a year. Teachers average $60k for those 195 days. Strictly speaking, no they don't get paid for the summer which is common argument from a teacher but heck, they are well compensated for the handful days they do work since the salary is not pro-rated based on worked days/days off. If a teacher is not able to set aside some money from those paid 195 days to cover the remaining 170 days OFF they get, then I don't want them in my dayhome because their money management skills are so poor, I'll likely have other issues being paid.

I know my local school board actually deals with "banked hours" meaning that the 195 days teachers do work, are spread over 10 months but rather than take their income as salary/10 months, they bank part of it and take a slightly smaller pay cheque each month, and bank some hours/pay. This ends up with them earning their salary over 10 months but being paid for 12. If you ignore all the mumbo jumbo about that, it's the same as the rest of the world who does get paid leave. The annual salary is divide into 12 monthly pays or maybe 26 bi-weekly pays resulting in paid leave, and same income year round.

I don't have contracts specific to nurses, doctors, teachers or any other profession. If they want one of my spaces, they pay for it year round. If they don't want to pay for it, they can go somewhere else.
    I don't think it's a question of affordability, how much a teacher earns or how well they can budget. I think it is a matter of being at home and not actually needing childcare. Whether you have money in your bank account or not, I can understand how paying for 9 weeks of care over the course of the summer is a huge unnecessary expense. Over $2000 for that time period in my area so I can totally understand why a teacher in that situation would ask for some kind of discount as their childcare needs have significantly changed for that time period.

I have cared for teachers and took a 50% retainer, and once my last teacher left I vowed never to do this again because I couldn't take the loss and why should I. That being said, I can put myself in another persons shoes and know that regardless of affordability, $2000 for a 9 week period of childcare that isn't needed, is a huge unnecessary expense. I think teacher only providers are the best in this situation as it works in the best interest of both provider and teacher.

I totally agree, why should we take the loss when our numbers and income are so limited, but then why should a parent pay for childcare that isn't needed. It sucks to lose the income as a provider to a teacher when you offer a discount, but it sucks to pay out all that money at the same time when you are completely available to care for your child during that time too. I can see both sides and I don't begrudge a parent teacher for asking for the discount.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRose View Post
    I have a higher rate for teachers.

my regular rate is $225/week ($45/day) for full time care.

Teachers : Full Time Only. No care over the summer

September to end of April
    $300/week ($60/day)
    No care over the summer May to August
    Deposit $600

September to end of June
    $270/week ($54/day)
    No care over the summer July & August
    Deposit $540

There is a non-refundable "summer holding fee" built into the enrollment fee. This fee is spreed out over the 9 months (September to May) or 10 months (September to June). If your start care after the first week of September, than you will need to pay the remained of the "summer holding fee". This fee is to be paid either by adding it to your bi-weekly enrollment fee or paid in full at time of enrollment. The "summer holding fee" is to hold your spot (guarantee you a spot in the next school year) ONLY. It does not cover enrollment fee for care over the summer.

This way They don't have to worry about paying over the summer and I don't have to worry about my bills.
    I find that this method doesn't work although I do know people who have this pay structure for teachers. I don't know however, how often it actually works and whether anyone actually goes for it. Parents do their research, generally, and shop around. They know what the average is for the area and realize that you are in fact charging them for the summer off by way of charging them a substantially higher rate ahead of time. Both options result in the same amount paid....give or take. They may not pay anything during the summer, but have a significantly higher rate the rest of the year, which I think defeats the object from their perspective. I don't think they are generally looking not to pay during the summer, I think more accurately they are looking not to pay for summer care, period.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    I don't think it's a question of affordability, how much a teacher earns or how well they can budget. I think it is a matter of being at home and not actually needing childcare. Whether you have money in your bank account or not, I can understand how paying for 9 weeks of care over the course of the summer is a huge unnecessary expense. Over $2000 for that time period in my area so I can totally understand why a teacher in that situation would ask for some kind of discount as their childcare needs have significantly changed for that time period.

I have cared for teachers and took a 50% retainer, and once my last teacher left I vowed never to do this again because I couldn't take the loss and why should I. That being said, I can put myself in another persons shoes and know that regardless of affordability, $2000 for a 9 week period of childcare that isn't needed, is a huge unnecessary expense. I think teacher only providers are the best in this situation as it works in the best interest of both provider and teacher.

I totally agree, why should we take the loss when our numbers and income are so limited, but then why should a parent pay for childcare that isn't needed. It sucks to lose the income as a provider to a teacher when you offer a discount, but it sucks to pay out all that money at the same time when you are completely available to care for your child during that time too. I can see both sides and I don't begrudge a parent teacher for asking for the discount.

I also can see both sides but IMO, it's not really an unnecessary expense on the parents part. They need care Sept to June and if they can't find a dc that runs/charges those months only, than it is necessary to pay their provider for July/August if they want care the rest of the year. I have had parents who have 6-8 weeks holidays with their job as well but it's spread out throughout the year...they don't get a discount either (aside from my holiday fee I charge if they want to keep child at home) so I don't really see the difference between them and teachers. I do think that dcp's who don't charge them for July/August is of course the better option but I don't think necessarily think it's an unnecessary expense in the grand scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    I find that this method doesn't work although I do know people who have this pay structure for teachers. I don't know however, how often it actually works and whether anyone actually goes for it. Parents do their research, generally, and shop around. They know what the average is for the area and realize that you are in fact charging them for the summer off by way of charging them a substantially higher rate ahead of time. Both options result in the same amount paid....give or take. They may not pay anything during the summer, but have a significantly higher rate the rest of the year, which I think defeats the object from their perspective. I don't think they are generally looking not to pay during the summer, I think more accurately they are looking not to pay for summer care, period.
    I don't have any problems getting teachers to pay this. Most know that they will more then likely have to pay for the summer if they want the same provider the next school year. I have spoken to many providers through out my city and this method seems to be the norm here. It might not work everywhere.

You do get some teachers who are cheap and don't want to pay for anything they don't feel like they need to. but that can be said about some families in general.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    I also can see both sides but IMO, it's not really an unnecessary expense on the parents part. They need care Sept to June and if they can't find a dc that runs/charges those months only, than it is necessary to pay their provider for July/August if they want care the rest of the year. I have had parents who have 6-8 weeks holidays with their job as well but it's spread out throughout the year...they don't get a discount either (aside from my holiday fee I charge if they want to keep child at home) so I don't really see the difference between them and teachers. I do think that dcp's who don't charge them for July/August is of course the better option but I don't think necessarily think it's an unnecessary expense in the grand scheme of things.
    I think if they sign up knowing the deal then it isn't negotiable, but from the point of enquiring, it is not a need. If they don't find a provider willing to let them have summers off without any fees and they sign up for a 12 month contract with full pay, then yes it becomes a necessary expense to hold the spot for their child/children. Not really what I was getting at though. I was saying from the perspective of a parent looking for care, not one who has signed an agreement to pay year round to guarantee the spot.

Euphoric !
    For myself the teacher I have knows I will try to fill the spot in the summer for her so she doesn't have to pay. She knows if I cannot find a replacement for those 2 months that she has to pay for it to secure her spot. I have never ever had an issue filling the 2 months. I have always had one teacher's child in my care since I opened in 2010. It's win win for everyone.

My current teacher is leaving end of June. Older sibling of other child in care coming for summer and new teacher signed up for sept.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by babydom View Post
    Probably asked this before. But do u charge the parents the whole summer normal rate if they are teachers and off but want to come back in the fall? Even if they won't send their child in the summer?
    I charge for days registered not attendence. I not change my policies based on profession of parent either. If they want FT care here, they pay for 5 days a week. They are free to come in summer since they paying, or they can stay home. Some come, some come sometimes.

Some carer's locally charge 50% for summer with understanding it to hold place until September, not an option to attend in Summer if they want this arrangement. I think if more for carers who have summer off with own children.

Starting to feel at home...
    I agree with others when they say why would a parent want to pay for care when they can be at home for those weeks over summer, but on the flip side I cannot realistically take that kind of a pay cut or even just have them pay a lesser fee so they can come back. People would flip out if their employer decided to only pay 50% of the wage if they were on vacation.

I am just personally struggling with wording. I like the family, their son is a great addition here and to get someone to fill those two months seems silly with the ages and situation of my current kids here. I have a small group (only 3 kids) and they are all the same age so adding a school age kid would be inappropriate for me and that child. They'd be bored out of their mind and none of the current activities we do would be age appropriate. Lol.

So I'm struggling with how to word it. I guess just being to the point and matter of fact is best and most beneficial for all. The full time child care fee is what is is and if you want the f/t space held for two months then the fees are due. If you want to withdraw your child and re-register for September then they just have to keep in mind that space may be filled and no new space may be available.

so confused!!