Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Who do you believe parent or child?

Hope everyone had a great Easter.
    I have a little guy (5) who has had a really bad cough for over 2 weeks now, his mom says it's just allergies but I told her he needed to see a doctor before coming back today. She said she took him yesterday and the doctor said he's good and his cough is just allergies.
    She asked if he could return today and because he saw the doctor and nothing was wrong with him I said yes, well today I asked him if he saw the doctor yesterday and he said "no I spent the day with my auntie"
    Has anyone ever had a parent and child tell you 2 different story's, who do you believe?
    I don't do doctors notes here so asking for one is out of the question.
    I texted mom and asked her but her story is still the same, they went!!
    Anyone ever had this happen?

Starting to feel at home...
    Woah! I would believe the child since he has no reason to lie, while the mother does have one. If one of my kids had a cough for 2 weeks, I would definitely take them to the Dr to get checked out. That doesn't sound like allergies!
    I would probably just let it go, but it would be hard to trust this mother in the future.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gloucestermom For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I donno I've heard kids say random things. This child may have been telling the truth he spent the day with his aunt. He could have spent all of an hour with her and think that was his whole day.

I had a 4yr old on Sunday tell me that at school someone "sometimes throws him out the window at recess, that the window is very high". When I mentioned jokingly to his mom that she ought to check into this school she sends her child too, that someone is throwing him out the window at recess she rolled her eyes and gave him that look. He is prone to just saying random things. It's not so much a lie as an over active imagination!

I'm not saying the mom is telling the truth...but I am saying you can't really ever take a child for his word. They aren't always reliable!

Shy
    I agree, I'm sure by Friday all the kids will have "Allergies"
    You are right just let it go.. Not worth fighting over.
    This little guy isn't one to tell story's or make things up, he's very mature for his age. He also asked my daughter if she was feeling better, his mom said I had to close because my daughter was sick...
    I'm also positive mom is not telling the truth but I will let it go this time.

Euphoric !
    I've never really heard of allergies causing coughs .... Very strange ! Yup I'll bet the parent never took the child

At some point the child will realize his mother is feeding him lies. When he thought your daughter was "sick", when his mom said he went "to the doctors".... over time I bet this kid will catch on and it will only result in mistrust in the parent. Once a liar, always a liar. I'd be keeping my eye on this parent...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 3rdtimesacharm For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    My cousin had a pretty severe allergy to dogs as an infant/child. Her parents were in denial for the longest time...it wasn't until she was about 2 that they got rid of their dogs. For those 2 yrs she had a brutal smokers cough. Once the dogs were gone, so was the cough. Some allergies do result in a cough...but I would suspect this is in fact a cold. If it is allergies it won't magically disappear, it would last a lot longer than a typical cold! That would be the true telltale sign I think.

That's awful. I would be prone to believe the child in this situation. He's five. It's not like he's two or three.

That said, I probably wouldn't say anything, but I definitely would be hesitant to trust that mom. Come to think of it, I might be inclined to casually say at pick up "Joey mentioned how much fun he had at his aunt's house yesterday" and see what she says or how she reacts.

Outgoing
    I think I would just let this one go...I think she will think twice about lying to you again...she knows you are onto her!!! This kid is 5 years old!

Expansive...
    I would believe the child when he said that he didn't go to the doctors but that doesn't mean that the mom never took him at all. Maybe she took him 2 weeks ago or prior and the doctor mentioned it was allergies at that time.

We have had a terrible cough go through the daycare this year that started in September and it seems one kid or another has it at any given time.

I went to the doctor for it three times, had xrays,antibiotics and finally puffers . The doctor said it was likely allergies and that I would just need puffers until it warms up. So...her claim of the cough being related to allergies could be entirely true. I have never had anything like this or had an allergy-related cough and I wouldn't have believed such a thing was possible until I heard it this year.

I have personally never chosen to exclude a child from daycare due to a cold/cough.
    Last edited by Spixie33; 04-09-2015 at 12:54 PM.