Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

Caps During Craft Time

Hi - I'm usually pretty good about keeping an eye on all the caps that come off the markers, gluesticks, and on chalk, but I'm spending my morning looking for a few missing. How do u handle all those small items with the kids all being 3 and under during craft time?

I've always been a bit hypersensitive about the whole choking thing even tho I'm trained in what to do. A lot of parents drive here with their kids eating whole apples while in carseats and I wouldn't do that. I've been in houses where there's marbles around and their kids under 3. I'm pretty unrelaxed about it all but probably cause my youngest son lost his BF in grade 1 due to choking on chicken at home. I'm thinking of just removing all the caps and putting somewhere till done. I can't rest till I find the caps! Thanx

Starting to feel at home...
    For marker caps I use a small container and fill part way with plaster of paris? when it is partially set I sink the caps part way in. Once fully hardened the markers get put in. The really little ones can't get them out unless I loosen the markers first, as they get stronger they can get them out just fine.

I have a few on the bottom shelf of the picture attached.
    Attached Images

3. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Discoveries For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Discoveries View Post
    For marker caps I use a small container and fill part way with plaster of paris? when it is partially set I sink the caps part way in. Once fully hardened the markers get put in. The really little ones can't get them out unless I loosen the markers first, as they get stronger they can get them out just fine.

I have a few on the bottom shelf of the picture attached.
    That's genius!!

What a GREAT idea, Discoveries!! Thanks for sharing!
    I am with the OP, my biggest fear is a choking child. I know one daycare parent who feeds her 2 and 4 year olds Pogos, while my kids have never had a hotdog without it being cut in quarters length-wise. Grapes, cherry tomatoes, my kids don't eat unless they are cut once or twice. We rarely buy them due to all the effort and risk. I even cut blueberries up for my 14 month old.
    Gah! I couldn't imagine a little one finding a cap and putting it in their mouth!!

Euphoric !
    That's such a good idea!! I would have loved that for when I worked in centres.

I only have 4 and we do art together so loosing/choking on caps isn't a worry for me. If I ever move into a bigger home though and have my art supplies out all the time, I will have to remember this!

Outgoing
    I once changed 2 year old's diaper shortly after they arrived and there were three (3) pennies in his bowel movement...KID YOU NOT....I checked is jean pockets ...he had more money in there!
    Mother.."hubby and I give him our change every nite and he puts it in the jar"...umm...NO...AC TUALLY HE DOESN'T...HE FRIGGIN EATS THEM...DUMB PARENTS SOMETIMES

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by sandylynn View Post
    I once changed 2 year old's diaper shortly after they arrived and there were three (3) pennies in his bowel movement...KID YOU NOT....I checked is jean pockets ...he had more money in there!
    Mother.."hubby and I give him our change every nite and he puts it in the jar"...umm...NO...AC TUALLY HE DOESN'T...HE FRIGGIN EATS THEM...DUMB PARENTS SOMETIMES
    Whoa, I'd probably mention that to the parents. I have to admit I found a zipper slider once in one of my kids diaper bms...got to watch zippered pillow cases too.

I just remove all caps and put in bowl on counter. Then recap when we're all done. That way none gets lost. And don't forget to watch when u cut a milk bag. Those little corners are dangerous!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by babydom View Post
    I just remove all caps and put in bowl on counter. Then recap when we're all done. That way none gets lost. And don't forget to watch when u cut a milk bag. Those little corners are dangerous!
    That sounds like my dad. When I first opened, that's all he was worried about. "What do you do with the little corners?" "Those are a choking hazard. Throw it out right away!" Okay, dad thanks...lol

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post: