Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bill 10 letter to parents.

Ive been told that following bill 10 dc providers by law are supposed to notify parents via signed letter that we follow the new regulations. Does anyone know if this is accurate ? And if so, is there a guideline that we should follow to make sure we include everything?

Outgoing
    Haven't heard anything about that, but we DO need to inform parents that we are unlicensed. Most providers have already notified their clients (because a lot of us have to let one or more children go, or eliminate part-time spaces or raise rates, etc) but I don't know of any regulation saying we NEED to. In the Bill it states that unlicensed providers must inform their clients that they are unlicensed (ie, not working for an agency), supposedly because the Ministry of Education thinks that parents don't understand that.

Personally, I've revamped my contract for the new school year (raising rates, eliminating sick days, etc, unfortunately) and have attached something along the lines of:
    "[Daycare Name] is a private, legal, unlicensed home daycare. In Ontario, home daycare providers have the option of remaining legally private ("unlicensed") or working under the umbrella of a licensed childcare Agency. I have no intention of working for an Agency, and as such, as of Jan. 1, 2016, will be complying with the new rules and regulations set forth in the Childcare Modernization Act ("Bill 10"), which include new ratios of no more 5 children under the age of 13 in care at one time, including my own children under age 6, and no more than 2 under age 2 at any given time. [Daycare Name] will always be run as a legal, legitimate business, and I will keep my clients informed of any and all changes to home daycare laws in Ontario as I become aware of them."

Or something close to that, my contract isn't in front of me. Just because you have to say you're unlicensed, doesn't mean your clients can't understand that we can't BE individually licensed. My current clients of course understand this, but for any new clients, especially first-time parents that may not understand the laws, I feel it's important to educate them a bit on why I have chosen to remain private, and it's not just a simply matter of applying for a license from the government. But that's just my opinion. By law, you just need to have them sign SOMETHING that says they understand you are a private business and therefore not affiliated with any licensed agency.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrazyEight For This Useful Post:

Shy
    CrazyEight that is really well written. Would you mind if I adapted it slightly for my own contract?

Outgoing
    Feel free!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyEight For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Super. Thank you!

Expansive...
    Very Good CrazyEight and it helps educate the new parents - Plus others outside of Ontario

I have done a one page form for the parents to fill out. It has the parents contact info., The child's info, a disclaimer about not holding a license and a section on what the inspector can do when they enter. I have it set up so that the parents are giving me permission to give this information to the inspector if they request it. you can find a copy of this form on my website: www.homedaycarebusin ess.weebly.com

You are required to have parents sign a letter that you informed them of the new rules. Providers must keep a copy of this on file for 2 years. Here is the link;

http://www.ontario.ca/document/child...271.1439832312

It lays out some of the exact wording you need to use.

Expansive...
    You have to specifically say that you are not licensed by the Government of Ontario.

Outgoing
    Why does matter that we even inform the parents of the bill 10, as long as the provider follows all of the rules of bill 10....why should we have to give parents a letter and have them sign it....??????All I should have to worry about is that I FOLLOW BILL 10