Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What to do?

Outgoing
    I think you should definately contact this parent. If you didn't put any commitment in writing, then she won't understand why you are upset and thinking of filling that spot without her. In a verbal agreement, there is so much room for interpretation and "mis-remembering." I think the others are right, she probably feels she has no obligation to you and is looking for something better for her. If you value the 'upfront' approach from parents, you should contact her, tell her you saw the ad and ask her what she is planning to do. You were holding the space and was expecting her to come but you didn't know the days/hours she needed not whether or not she was coming at all.

Starting to feel at home...
    I really appreciate everyones input on this, at first I just found it annoying, but as I have thought about it more, I have to agree that I simply have to start taking a deposit in order to hold a spot.
    To elaborate some more on the agreement, we had our interview, and I explained that I do not ask for a deposit to secure the spot, but that once we have a verbal agreement, I would stop interviewning other parents and the spot would be theirs,and because she didn't have a position yet, I would hold it as a full time spot, and if she ends up only needing a few days a few, or different days (as a supply teacher) then that would be okay. She emailed me back and said that they would really like to have their child come to my care in the fall, and that as soon as she knew what her schedule would be, she would let me know. I responded, that I excepted her child, I would hold the spot, and to keep in touch and good luck with her search for a local teaching position.
    Perhaps I am assuming too much here, but I honestly feel like she has been dishonest with me. If she wanted to shop around some more, she should have just said that they want to see if they can find someone that can take both kids, but if the spot is there in the fall for her younger child she would be interested in it.
    I am going into my 10th year in daycare, never had an issue with this. I feel like if they are not good on their word, I'm not really interested in working with them anyway. However I agree, that this business is a business, and I guess in the end, money is the bottom line!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsBell For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I take deposit - I would love to go on people's word but sadly, not all people are trustworthy so it doesn't really work unless people have same standards as me. This is why we need deposit and contract.

I agree that you only asked to be kept updated and you offered to hold place. You did not expect any commitment in return and so you got no commitment in return.

Yes might be tempting to answer her ad and tell her you are holding a place but you didn't actually ask for a firm decision from her. I agree she is likely trying to keep options open and you are plan B but you permitted that.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I always take a deposit...it is totally non-refundable and I CLEARLY tell the parents that....I also CLEARLY tell them that the deposit DOES NOT go towards ANY daycare at all....it is simply to hold the spot (usually a few months) and NOT give the spot away to anyone else that calls or enquires for a spot. In this case I would carry on filling the spot...and when she calls and tells you of her new plans, honestly...I could not refuse the opportunity to say "Oh yes...I knew that...I saw your ad on kijiji a long time ago....so I filled the spot "a long time ago"....lol

Outgoing
    We are not allowed to take a deposit. And by that I mean, it's illegal. No money can be paid to a DCP until the first day the child comes. This has happened a few times to me...if you have a contract starting on, say Monday, and the child is sick or just doesn't come for a day or a few days, you miss out on the pay for those days. Completely, no kidding, no recourse. If the parent decides on the morning the contract is to start that they don't want daycare anymore (and this has happened to me too) they owe nothing. So, I don't try to fill spots months in advance because I always end up losing out. Because this is a very regulated system here, this kind of thing is a problem for a lot of people and the government is even trying to fix it but there are two laws in conflict and two different departments that have to get together... blahhh!

I think I envy the rest of you who can have some compensation for people who want to hold a spot and totally flake...

Wow that's crazy! It's actually a law? What area are you guys in???

Outgoing
    We have to follow the Educational Childcare Act for the rules around the daycare but we also have to follow the Consumer Protection Act which covers all contracts between a consumer (parent) and a business (me.) It would also cover me if I had a contract with a business and I was the consumer. I don't know if the other provinces have consumer protection laws too.

The Ministry that deals with the daycare system, (Minister of Families) understands this is a problem for us, specifically, but they can't just change the Educational Childcare Act without also changing the Consumer Protection Act too, and they aren't in charge of that law. Just government bureaucracy with us caught in the middle.

We are also very limited in what we can charge for an early cancelation penalty. It's 10% of the amount remaining in the contract (contracts must have an end date) or $50, whichever is less.

Expansive...
    Wow! so different in Quebec I did not know
    Thank you Kindertime