Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Teachers ONLY daycare AND stat holidays

Hey!

I made the switch to just having teachers and operating only from Sept - June. I am closed (without pay) during Winter break, March break and July/August.

Here's my question: I have in my contract that I am paid stat days and list them. I only listed the stat days for which I am OPEN. Therefor, Dec 25, 26 and Jan 1 were not included. Is that the norm in this situation?

I am beginning to think perhaps I should have included those stats even though they don't pay for the 2 week winter break - thoughts? I am screwed for those 3 days now, but at least I can update for Fall 2016 if I need to. I don't know what I was thinking until after it was signed.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireyesblue View Post
    Hey!

I made the switch to just having teachers and operating only from Sept - June. I am closed (without pay) during Winter break, March break and July/August.

Here's my question: I have in my contract that I am paid stat days and list them. I only listed the stat days for which I am OPEN. Therefor, Dec 25, 26 and Jan 1 were not included. Is that the norm in this situation?

I am beginning to think perhaps I should have included those stats even though they don't pay for the 2 week winter break - thoughts? I am screwed for those 3 days now, but at least I can update for Fall 2016 if I need to. I don't know what I was thinking until after it was signed.
    I don't understand why stat days are relevant over Christmas if you not open anyway.

There is no norm - few provider operate for teacher only. Small minority. Those who do locally, close for summer, not Christmas and March Break so where they open Christmas, those stat days are relevant. But you said you closed anyway.

I know I wouldn't pay for stat days when my provider wouldn't be working the week before or the week after. You are not screwed for those 3 days now 'cause you not entitled to them when you aren't working - you aren't charging for Canada day in July when you are closed, why you think people will pay for Christmas closing stat days too?

Also, Boxing Day not a stat day in every province so might be a non-issue anyway.
    Last edited by Suzie_Homemaker; 04-24-2015 at 05:06 AM.

Euphoric !
    I am considering switching to summers off next year. I will not be charging the July and August stat days. I will be open all other breaks and whether they send their child or not, I will be charging for all other Stats.

Because you are not open at all during those times, I would lean towards saying no, you don't charge for those stats.

Expansive...
    I charge for all stat. holidays-even when I'm on vacation. The parent is paying for the spot to be held open on their regular days of attendance. I charge teachers for Xmas and March Break and make them pay 1/2 fees for summer. I think you've short changed yourself some money. I guess it depends what is the norm for your area, but that's alot of income loss.

Outgoing
    I would most definitely charge for Christmas...boxing day and new years day! Though you are not open for those weeks...YOU WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN WORKING ON THOSE DAYS ANYWAYS....so ya...if it's the teachers choosing NOT to come during those weeks...I'd charge full fee for those weeks too

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by sandylynn View Post
    I would most definitely charge for Christmas...boxing day and new years day! Though you are not open for those weeks...YOU WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN WORKING ON THOSE DAYS ANYWAYS....so ya...if it's the teachers choosing NOT to come during those weeks...I'd charge full fee for those weeks too
    The way I read the OP was that she is closed those weeks, the parents don't have the option to come even if they wanted.

Outgoing
    They wouldn't have the option to come on ANY stat holiday....

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by sandylynn View Post
    They wouldn't have the option to come on ANY stat holiday....
    I understand that but isn't it kinda the same as saying "I'm only open for 8 months of the year but you are expected to pay for stats that fall in the other 4 months" ....doesn't seem fair IMO. In the end, she can do what she wants but I don't know how well it would go over with most parents.

Outgoing
    I was just referring to the xmas and new years stats...NOT THE SUMMER MONTHS

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie_Homemaker View Post
    I don't understand why stat days are relevant over Christmas if you not open anyway.

There is no norm - few provider operate for teacher only. Small minority. Those who do locally, close for summer, not Christmas and March Break so where they open Christmas, those stat days are relevant. But you said you closed anyway.

I know I wouldn't pay for stat days when my provider wouldn't be working the week before or the week after. You are not screwed for those 3 days now 'cause you not entitled to them when you aren't working - you aren't charging for Canada day in July when you are closed, why you think people will pay for Christmas closing stat days too?

Also, Boxing Day not a stat day in every province so might be a non-issue anyway.
    Suzie_homemaker...is this not the same as the stat holiday falling when I am on vacation and the parent said I must work the day before and the day after to get paid for the stat? You mentioned if she wanted to follow labour standard laws then I should charge her min wage?????? That we do not fall into that category?