Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Paid stat days and sick days?

Just wondering why so many providers expect to be paid stat/sick/vacation days? Most self employed people are not paid or 'entitled' to these days off, only employees are (typically) ... am I missing something?
    As a self employed person I only get paid if I work, period. I'm not trying to insult anyone here, just curious what the reasoning is. .?

Euphoric !
    I don't get paid sick or vacation days but I do expect them to pay if their child is sick or gone on holidays. They are paying for the spot, not days used, which is why I expect this. Basically, if I'm open, they are expected to pay.

I do ask for paid stat days but at a reduced rate. It is common in my area to pay for stat days so I just went with it. Tbh, I really don't know why it is. I do fully agree with you that as self employed people, we should not get paid unless we are working but I'm not sure why STAT days are paid but I'm glad they are. It's a little break every now and then! When I worked in centres, parents were expected to pay stat days as well even though we were closed.

Expansive...
    Why not???

As I self employed person, I decide what and when I get paid. It's that simple. If my clients are fine with it then who cares? If they weren't fine with it, they wouldn't be my clients.

If I owned a store and wanted to sell pencils for $100 that's my choice. If no one buys them I go out of business or rethink my business plan.

It has nothing to do with "expecting" anything. You set your own plan and that's it.

Outgoing
    I don't get vacation pay or sick days paid...but if the government gives paid stat days...and the parents get paid...why shouldn't we...it's not like we are asking for those days off...

Outgoing
    There are very few (can't think of any) other self-employed jobs like ours. We are limited in how much we can earn. To operate legally, there is a maximum number of "clients" we can have. If I had a store, I would only be limited by the the amount I could sell. I could have 1 client per day or 1000. I could charge as much as people were willing to pay. If I cleaned houses, I would only be limited by the hours in the day. This is not to say I could earn a million dollars doing either of these things, but they are different from home daycare.

Here, we are further limited by the law. I can have a max. of 6 clients and work a max of 236 days in the year and the pay is predetermined. For this reason, we get paid for 8 stats and for 17 days vacation.

In the rest of the country, I imagine it is more about what clients are willing to pay in any given area, but I don't think it is unreasonable to expect paid time off.

As a self-employed person, you are not entitled to most of the same "social protections" as employees. EI for example, (you can opt-in but then you can never opt-out.) And workman's comp. And maternity leave, and a pension plan and a group health plan. These things are not available to all employees everywhere but they are to many. None of the home daycare providers get them (except in Que.) So some compensation and some time off, again, not so unreasonable.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Marie999 are you a home daycare provider?

Outgoing
    In my case, I'm licensed through the provincial government. So they say I get paid stat days, and I happily agree. Before I was licensed, I viewed it like this: I am open Monday - Friday every week. My pay cheque shouldn't change just because parents get the day off from work.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie999 View Post
    Just wondering why so many providers expect to be paid stat/sick/vacation days? Most self employed people are not paid or 'entitled' to these days off, only employees are (typically) ... am I missing something?
    As a self employed person I only get paid if I work, period. I'm not trying to insult anyone here, just curious what the reasoning is. .?
    Because, unlike most self employed people, our income is capped based on numbers of children we can take. Like every other business, we have business expenses and so when you take into account daily rate x max children - business expenses, we are often well below min wage.

Add to this, that unlike many self employed people, we don't have flexibility to run errand during day. We are tied to house, local area, not able to have doctor appointment, hospital appointment, get to bank or store. So we need a handful days off to do these basic tasks which most self-employed people can schedule time for and most employees can do on their lunch.

Shy
    Good to know all this. Its interesting how different industries tend to run. In my industry contractors charge 10~15% more per hour than their counterpart employees are typically paid, so that's how we make up for not having paid days off. I never thought about your income being 'capped'. I also think as a group daycare providers seem to under sell yourselves, in my area there is a pretty significant gap between what home daycare charges and what a centre charges. Its too bad really, for all the work you gals do you should make more per day.
    Last edited by Marie999; 04-29-2015 at 03:46 PM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marie999 For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Here, here!! Perfect sentiment for ECE week. Thank you. Tell your friends.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post: