Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

Mat leave goodbyes

I have a little one leaving this week to go off on mat leave with his mom who just gave birth.

The parents seem to be building up the departure and I am sad about it too but I am not sure to what level I should go and say good bye.

I'm wondering what others have done in the past when a DCK goes off because mom had a baby. Do you throw a party? Do you give a gift?

I give a memory book to children who leave daycare after 3 years to start JK but not too sure what to do this time when it's only been 15 months.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Experiences?

I do a big brother or sister shirt with them with their handprints. And get them a little gift and a gift for new baby. I don't throw a party but will have a treat like cupcakes for afternoon snack. It's sad to see them go, no matter how long they've been with us

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by homeschoolmom View Post
    I give a give a new baby gift to the family (I knit, so usually a little hat or sweater), and this book to the sibling: http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/...=Home&ikwidx=4

I must say though, that it drives me a little batty when parents do a big 'build up'. It feels almost like they're telling me how to feel about the child leaving, when in reality I'm sometimes relieved

Yes exactly ! The big buildup the past few days makes me feel pressured to do something and feel like I have to make it a big deal.

I was going to do treats and a card. I already gave the baby a present last week when he was born so I am not sure where to say enough is enough.

I like the idea of a handmade tee with the handprints

Outgoing
    Special lunch of his fave foods. Ask mom if she wants to bring desert.
    Home of child care expertise. Child care consultant for home providers, child care centers, and parents. http://daycarewhisperer.com/
    Please join us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/daycare.whisperer

Euphoric !
    I actually talk about when a child is leaving to all of them for about 2 weeks prior. It's a big change for everyone...me, the parents, the child leaving and the others who are loosing a friend. We talk about why the child is leaving and how we will miss them etc.

Their last day here, we have a fun lunch and treat and we give a goodbye gift and hugs at pick up time.

I've only had one leave on mat leave and I knew she would bring them back for a play date once baby was born so I gave baby a gift then. If I didn't think I'd see them soon or even again, than I'd give a gift on their last day for the baby. Usually, if I know they aren't coming back, I give a family gift though.

Euphoric !
    I always give a gift when a child leaves. I usually spend less than $20. I write a nice card to the parents, get their final receipt done and include it in envelope. If there is a new baby I always give a baby gift.

We also talk about the child leaving at daycare. It's hard on everyone to have a child leave. I have had a few sudden departures and it was very hard on everyone.

Outgoing
    A card crafted from the other kids is nice and if u have any photos of the child over the course of time they were with u, put in a little photo album. Fifteen months still a fair amount of time in your care. For baby I usually give a children's book the siblings can enjoy too.

This has me umming and ahhing to be honest. I always buy a new baby gift that's for sure. But the child leaving...well I'm not sure why I would buy that child a gift?? I always buy a gift for a child moving up into kindergarten, but it is kindergarten related. A Kindergarten themed story book, or a lunch bag/box or pencil and pad or something similar. That is a milestone worth celebrating, but leaving because of maternity leave, shouldn't I be the one receiving a gift as way of a thank you for everything?? lol Why does the kid get a gift? Can anyone tell me? I give gifts as a gesture of thanks or in celebration, but I see none of these reasons for a child leaving due to the parents circumstances. I'm not trying to be an ass, but there is a certain amount of entitlement that kids have growing up and I think it's the adults in their lives, me included, who are responsible for this. It is learnt behaviour. Then they grow up expecting gifts, which I think is a disservice. It's like when your child has a birthday and the sibling gets a gift too...that is not okay in my mind. There is a lesson to be learned in not being the centre of attention on your brother or sisters birthday, and by being pacified with a gift for fear of them acting out, is not a good thing. I see this as similar.

I would write a nice card of thanks, if applicable, for being such a great family to deal with and for the opportunity to be part of their child's life and upbringing. But I wouldn't buy this kid a gift. I think it's totally unnecessairy. A party for the kids with party games and something fun that is saved for special occasions is more than enough. And the kid won't care about not getting a gift.

Euphoric !
    The gift is a goodbye gift when they are leaving daycare. I give all my kids that leave a gift. It's usually something they will use - crayons, coloring book, story book, play dough, bubbles etc. never a toy.

Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    The gift is a goodbye gift when they are leaving daycare. I give all my kids that leave a gift. It's usually something they will use - crayons, coloring book, story book, play dough, bubbles etc. never a toy.
    I understand what you are saying, although they are still toys IMO and received by the child in their mind as such. Still not something I see as necessary and just not what I do for the reasons outlined above.