Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Unhappy Down to 2 children and very worried

Wow, I'm down to two full-time kids and loosing one at the end of June and I have a new client starting beginning of June. I recently lost my Dck to mat leaves and just Friday, one of my part-timer's is leaving to go to the license daycare in our neighbourhood. I fear that the licensed daycare is taking our business. It's so slow right now, I have been looking for a full-time job but finding it difficult, they look at my resume and I fear that running my own business/daycare for 8 years is hurting my chances of getting a job. I was an Administrative Assistant for over 15 years. The reason why I left work was to take care of my ill in-laws. My mother in law suffered from Alzheimer's and my father in-law had lung cancer. I am advertising on Kijiji and I have a website. Any suggestions, I am getting worried.

I can sympathize. All my DCK are slowly finishing up over the next couple months. By the summer I will have one and in the fall, none.

I've been advertising, but haven't had much interest. There isn't a lot of demand in my area. I've spoken to other DCP in my neighbourhood who have found the same thing. With the last of the schools starting FDK and the daycare centres lowering their age of admission as a result has really affected the number of people looking for a home daycare.

How about doing some online upgrading in the "administrative world" I see why you would be worried about being out of that line of work for a while and having the gap on your resume. Open Desk is a website where you can do free-lance work which may help financially in addition to adding to your resume. All types of administrative work that you could do during naptimes, evenings and weekends with minimal commitment while having something more current and relative to the employment you are seeking outside of daycare.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

By the way pink, where are you located in terms of geographic location you are looking to work? And where are you looking specifically for job postings e.g websites etc?

Outgoing
    If u are in Ontario, will there perhaps be more parents looking for spots in the fall when some daycares are closing due to bill 10?

Outgoing
    Hi Pink....where r u located...I've had a few calls and had to turn down as I am full and will be for a while...they always ask if I know anyone....

Euphoric !
    About 2 year ago, this happen to me. Two girls were going to school in the Sept so I let a FT kids drop to PT (which I never do) because it would be short term and he would come back with his sibling. Then Dad lost job and one other left to move to Ottawa. I thought it not get worse but it did. One kid whose sister went to school, Mom was laid off so younger sibling left too. I had one FT and one PT. Very stressful. No reply to ad, nothing happening. Not even coming out and then picking somewhere else. No interest at all.

It was about 6 month before places started filling up and since then, it's be okay. Have had odd vacancy which took little time to fill but it only been one each time. Now filled place opening up next month as mom is doing shift work and also filled my Sept vacancies.

This business not steady all the time. But it will pick up again.

Hi Bright Sparks, I am located in Limoges, Ontario. We now have three licensed daycare in our neighbourhood.

Expansive...
    this happens to us all at one time or another and you just have to wait till it picks up and put more ads in daycarebear and other places, it happened to me in 2008 when I came back from Ireland and the new clients were all worried about their jobs and arranged with family or lost their jobs and they all cancelled except 2 p-timers !!!Boy was I worried but it did pick up after a few months
    Good luck and I hope they call soon
    Last edited by Van; 04-27-2015 at 06:22 PM.

Outgoing
    I have one full time, one that comes 2 days a week and one that comes 2 weeks out of the month. I am making a whopping $1700 per month! Three months ago I was making about $3500 a month! I have had a bunch of interviews, but no firm commitments yet. And Bill 10 is making it even harder, if it wasnt in effect I could have filled all of my spaces by now.