Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Teacher's Strike

Hi - With the teacher strikes going on in Ontario at the moment, is anyone affected by this? How does a provider handle this? In my contract i have listed fees are due with child illness, inclement weather, etc, but didn't think of strike action. Any advice please is appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ebhappydc View Post
    Hi - With the teacher strikes going on in Ontario at the moment, is anyone affected by this? How does a provider handle this? In my contract i have listed fees are due with child illness, inclement weather, etc, but didn't think of strike action. Any advice please is appreciated. Thanks.
    Err what? No teachers strike here (Niagara Region)

Okay so I just read about it. Not striking yet, just threatening too....again it's so frustrating.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    Err what? No teachers strike here (Niagara Region)
    Globe and Mail:

"The union representing Ontario high school teachers has set a strike date for Peel Region, as teachers in Durham Region hit the picket lines for a second day.

The Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation says teachers in Peel, west of Toronto, will go on strike May 4 if a local collective agreement is not reached with the school board by then.

In Durham Region, east of Toronto, schools remain closed after teachers began a strike Monday, leaving 24,000 students out of class."
    ---------------------------------
    The teachers parents haven't approached me about what to do, and I don't know how to handle if they ask to keep child home. I don't think they get paid very much during this time, but i can't go without too long either..... thanks for any input.

In my contract i have listed fees are due with child illness, inclement weather, etc, but didn't think of strike action. Any advice please is appreciated. Thanks.
    This is why in my contract I state very simply and clearly that parents pay should they keep their child home from daycare for any reason. The only time there are unpaid days is when I close.

This is going to be a bigger issue once Bill10 passes. All those school aged kids who are usually in a before and after school program onsite are now going to be home with their provider parents and put them over ratio. I imagine the only way a provider is going to be able to keep their own children out of their ratios is to put their kids into a before and after school program in the school so should the schools strike, all hell is going to break loose. I am sick and tired of the teachers strikes when its the kids who suffer. I wish I could get more genuine facts vs he said, she said so I could have a better appreciation for the teachers. Fact is it is hard to care about them if I don't know what's going on. It just frustrates me to no end.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Globe and Mail:

"The union representing Ontario high school teachers has set a strike date for Peel Region, as teachers in Durham Region hit the picket lines for a second day.

The Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation says teachers in Peel, west of Toronto, will go on strike May 4 if a local collective agreement is not reached with the school board by then.

In Durham Region, east of Toronto, schools remain closed after teachers began a strike Monday, leaving 24,000 students out of class."
    ---------------------------------
    The teachers parents haven't approached me about what to do, and I don't know how to handle if they ask to keep child home. I don't think they get paid very much during this time, but i can't go without too long either..... thanks for any input.
    Do you have it stated in your contract that they have to pay for childcare regardless of attendance if you are open for business? Teachers likely still make more money on a strike day than we do on any given day.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    Do you have it stated in your contract that they have to pay for childcare regardless of attendance if you are open for business? Teachers likely still make more money on a strike day than we do on any given day.
    Just when you think you've crossed all your t's and dotted all your i's.... no i don't have it worded that way. I will change it now to state for any reason at all to cover everything including the world blowing up. Just never know Thanks you so much for your input. I'm screwed.

Yes you're right, it is the kids the suffer the most when this happens. very frustrating indeed.
    Last edited by ebhappydc; 04-27-2015 at 06:30 PM.

Euphoric !
    The before/after rate the teachers would be paying is not that large in reality so also comes down to if they want to maintain their position. At this point in the year if they strike chances are teachers can afford to pay till the end of June but don't expect to have the child for the summer. Talk to your parents as yes the union will be topping up strike pay but no idea by how much. Make it clear to the parent that this is your income and you are not in a position to negotiate the rate other than being a bit lenient. Also be very careful about agreeing to keep a school age child that you do not have a space for as for sure the ministry inspectors will be out in full force nabbing people.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Thanks you guys. I'm just kicking myself hard right now for not having a stronger contract. Things crop up that you just don't realize can happen and just when I thought I had everything covered, I realize I still don't. But mostly its sad for the kids.

Euphoric !
    I would be proactive and send home a letter stating your expectations should a strike happen. Much easier to set things straight now then to have a parent, already on strike come begging for forgiven fees.

That said...striking teachers still 'work' (on a picket line) they aren't at home sitting around so they will still require childcare.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post: