Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Building Toys

Euphoric !
    The magnet blocks are safe but the magnets in the backs of the fridge letters are of concern to me as they can become dislodged from the letters and easily swallowed. Once swallowed if strong enough they can attach with layers of stomach or intestines in between the magnets, quite dangerous but luckily a rare occurrance.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Stickle bricks are old school and I just love them. Cost-co regularly sell a set for less than $30 if I recall.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Bee View Post
    The magnet blocks are safe but the magnets in the backs of the fridge letters are of concern to me as they can become dislodged from the letters and easily swallowed. Once swallowed if strong enough they can attach with layers of stomach or intestines in between the magnets, quite dangerous but luckily a rare occurrance.
    Yes! This is the story I was thinking of. It's why magnetic play is supervised. I'd love to put up an area for them to be accessible 24/7 since the kids love them but I'm too paranoid lol. They likely wouldn't be as much fun either though because it wouldn't be a "new" toy anymore....

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    Wonder wiper, I forgot about this 2....they're great!

Amanda...yes, they are definitely a toy that would likely last forever so probably a very good investment! Some of the bigger sets are probably the best for daycares but definitely pricey.
    My sister says she just bought them off the Tagu website, so perhaps it will just mean watching for them to go on sale. I don't like buying anything full price!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaKDT View Post
    My sister says she just bought them off the Tagu website, so perhaps it will just mean watching for them to go on sale. I don't like buying anything full price!
    Lol, same here!! I did some googling and see that Target sells them (not that it helps now) but I think I'm going to ask our local toy store if she can get them in and see what the cost would be

Outgoing
    I remember a few years ago there was a story (not sure if it's true or not) of a child who swallowed 2 magnets and they stuck together inside his stomach and did some damage. For that reason, I only have magnetic shapes that I pull out when I can safely supervise them using them.
    Yes, this is absolutely a true story, and not that rare about 10 years ago. It was happening a lot with the little magnet balls and bars that are for a 'desk toy.' They are super strong magnets that will easily be swallowed and 'attract' each other inside a person. Rip through you like a bullet.

The toy industry is a bit more cautious with magnets in toys now, only an issue if you're buying second hand.

We have duplo blocks and wooden blocks here. When I was first opening, I bought a Jenga game and the blocks from that are still a favorite in to wooden block box.
    Last edited by kindertime; 04-29-2015 at 01:30 PM.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderwiper View Post
    My kids love the big cardboard "bricks". You can make castles, towers, roads....anything!

Bristle blocks are different and inexpensive.
    Cardboard blocks? Are they durable? I would be afraid they just wouldn't last very long. Are they solid or hollow?

Outgoing
    Lol, same here!! I did some googling and see that Target sells them (not that it helps now) but I think I'm going to ask our local toy store if she can get them in and see what the cost would be
    Oh my gosh, I was thinking of doing that too. actually, I was just going to message her through the Facebook page. Let me know what you find out.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to superfun For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by kindertime View Post
    Cardboard blocks? Are they durable? I would be afraid they just wouldn't last very long. Are they solid or hollow?
    Mine are similar to these...

http://teachers.scholarschoice.ca/ca...blocks-24-pcs/

I have had them for 4 years. The edges are sort of frayed(can't think of a way to describe) but have held their shape just fine! The kids walk on them, climb on them. They are used daily.

I also have the blocks Bright mentioned. I called them bristle blocks. My kids like those too.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Wonderwiper For This Useful Post:

The magnetic blocks can be found at Masterminds or Tiggy Winkles if you have a store by you. We use duplo here and trio blocks. Trio blocks are found at Walmart and the sets are so fun, my kids fav.
    http://www.amazon.ca/Fisher-Price-TR.../dp/B001W0D00O