Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Building Toys

Outgoing

Building Toys

Hi - I would like to invest in a few really good quality building toys and need suggestions on the best buys that kids will continue to play with. Specifically, I've seen online 'Magnetic Tiles' that look really cool but are quite expensive for a small set. Anyone have those? I don't want to buy a lot and I do have the old fashioned wooden blocks which are great. Been looking on Kijiji but they're a rare find I think. Have also seen foam blocks but I want something they can connect together to build structures. Thanks for any suggestions - much appreciated!

Euphoric !
    I remember a few years ago there was a story (not sure if it's true or not) of a child who swallowed 2 magnets and they stuck together inside his stomach and did some damage. For that reason, I only have magnetic shapes that I pull out when I can safely supervise them using them.

We have waffle blocks, foam blocks, coloured wooden blocks and the bigger mega bloks.

I'd like to get some of the really huge soft blocks but haven't invested in them yet.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I have Tegu magnetic building blocks, the magnets are right inside the wood so there is no way that they could ever swallow the magnets. The kids really like them, can do lots of cool stuff with them.

https://www.tegu.com/

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Ooh I like those Amanda!! Now I want some lol

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaKDT View Post
    I have Tegu magnetic building blocks, the magnets are right inside the wood so there is no way that they could ever swallow the magnets. The kids really like them, can do lots of cool stuff with them.

https://www.tegu.com/
    I'm totally getting those. Thanks!!!

Euphoric !
    I just looked at the prices...wow lol. Will have to add them to the wish list and save up a bit first. How many sets do you have Amanda and do you find there's enough for all to play with at once? Where did you buy yours?

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    I just looked at the prices...wow lol. Will have to add them to the wish list and save up a bit first. How many sets do you have Amanda and do you find there's enough for all to play with at once? Where did you buy yours?
    I actually got them loaned to me from my sister and I don't know where she bought them from. I will ask her. I actually had no idea how much they were worth until I looked at the website, they are pricy! But they are well made and I could see them lasting a very long time. I have the basic building set that is blocks of different sizes and a set of wheels.

Expansive...
    My kids love the big cardboard "bricks". You can make castles, towers, roads....anything!

Bristle blocks are different and inexpensive.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wonderwiper For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Wonder wiper, I forgot about this 2....they're great!

Amanda...yes, they are definitely a toy that would likely last forever so probably a very good investment! Some of the bigger sets are probably the best for daycares but definitely pricey.

Euphoric !
    Blocks are so pricey! It is unfortunately as I would buy a huge variety of many different types. I loved the HUGE wooden blocks we had in daycares, hollow solid wood, they would build the best structures and building but they were a few thousand dollars for a small set!

We have a lot of the large mega blocks, now our outside set as they are easy to wash at end of season. We also have a set of waffle blocks (neat for building structures and cars etc), we have a good size set of foam blocks but they are too light weight so kind of blow over… and show teeth marks! We also have some duplo.

I would say the waffle blocks are best value for being able to connect in multiple ways and build things.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post: