Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Splinters

Outgoing

Splinters

Hi- yesterday had a child get small splinter in finger from garden brush. No biggie tho as I managed to grab it with tweezers without too much fuss. I do remember my own kids getting some bad splinters which were really tricky to take out. If that happens with dcc would I just wrap in wet bandaid and have parent deal even tho happened during time here? Kids will be running thru sprinkler in summer with bare feet and our backyard is surrounded by pine trees that do drop some needles. I guess I could give it my best shot but with a lot of dcks around kind of tough... Thanks!

Euphoric !
    If it easy to remove and if child co-operate, I will remove. If child not co-operate or needs digging, I would leave.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home... FSD's Avatar
    Funny this thread should pop up! A DCM noticed her son had a splinter on his hand during drop off this morning and actually asked if I wouldn't mind removing it. I had no problem and was able to remove it without too much trouble. Rewarded the little guy with a popsicle for being so brave!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FSD For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    We have pine trees, 4 at one end of our lot. Oh how many times I have forgotten and wandered over barefoot. It hurts a lot and once under you have to walk on more to escape. I wouldnt let kids be barefoot with pine trees around… they are brutal when dry!! This coming from someone that loves to be barefoot! Water shoes or crocs for sure!

As for splinters, do what you can and send a note home if the splinter remains.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by homeschoolmom View Post
    I ask for water shoes for outside water play. You can get them for less than $5 and they're a help with avoiding splinters and for kids who don't like the feel of grass on their feet.
    Pine needles, for sure you don't want to walk on, but grass? Oh, that makes me so sad.... I spend a good deal of time barefoot in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by homeschoolmom View Post
    I ask for water shoes for outside water play. You can get them for less than $5 and they're a help with avoiding splinters and for kids who don't like the feel of grass on their feet.
    Same as here, i aslo have a no sandal clause. kids must have running shoes when at day care. keep the pretty shoes at home

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 33 Daiseys For This Useful Post: