Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

DCP Concerned Mercury in Tuna

Hi - got an email last nite from dcp (good parent) concerned about tuna melts I serve about once a week due to mercury levels. I've read ages 18 mnths to 4 yrs can have about 2 oz which is more than they actually get as its also mixed with mayo and topped with cheese on bread. I offered to her that if she's concerned, I can just leave out the tuna and top with cheese. I put it on organic spelt bread so fairly healthy even without the fish. Do you guys limit tuna in your menu? My guys love it, especially her kid. TX!

Euphoric !
    Sounds like your response is perfect. Acknowledge your knowledge on the topic (the recommended amounts for their child's age) and offer a solution should they still have concern (leaving the tuna out).

It is a common concern so the parent isn't being unreasonable or dramatic by bringing it up. But there is no need to change your menu if you are aware of potential concerns and aren't serving tuna at every meal!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I don't issue my menu because it sometime result in things like this - requests based on preferences/concerns which are a little out there. That said, I not used tinned anything, ever.

If a parent want gluten free, mercury free, beef free, chicken free, anything-they-want free diet for their child, they have the option of providing food for their child but I not a short order cook, this is not Burger King where you get it your way. Lunch is healthy, nutritious, made with fresh ingredient. It is a by-product of my service. But it one meal fit all with no option and no replacement.

I respect some parent might want this level of input to their child diet but they have choice of me providing food or them providing food. No half way option. No refunds/discounts. My fee is x amount a day and I happen to feed kids who are here, if they not want the meal, they can bring own on daily basis, including snacks and drinks, but price remain same.

Like you, I would offer to omit the one ingredient for their child but I would not offer different meal or other solution.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

I limit fish in general, but tuna is one of the worst. Mercury is the leading cause of miscarriage and heavy metal toxicity is also a major factor in early childhood developmental illnesses and all that can result in. Now regardless of your standpoint on these facts and whether or not anyone actually cares about this, the best advice I was ever given by numerous holistic nutritionists and naturopathic doctors was this. Wild, small and white. I always laugh at the white part but its a rule of thumb. There are a couple of smaller fish that aren't white. Tuna is a big fish and has much higher levels of mercury, and farmed fish are awful for so many reasons. My son is vegetarian but eats fish. He will eat fish for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and there are days when he does.....although I certainly don't encourage it lol it's typically when I work outside of the house on a PA day and come home to ask what my kids ate all day and I could pretty much bet all my money on that being his entire meal plan for the day I stock my freezer with frozen wild caught portions that are caught here in the wild in Canada.
    Last edited by bright sparks; 04-30-2015 at 08:31 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I think you did fine! You offered a compromise

I personally never buy tuna but just because I think it tastes gross lol...I do buy salmon and occasionally give it to the kids. Is it an issue with salmon too?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    We don't eat tuna. My kids don't like it so never serve it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    I think you did fine! You offered a compromise

I personally never buy tuna but just because I think it tastes gross lol...I do buy salmon and occasionally give it to the kids. Is it an issue with salmon too?
    Salmon isn't as bad but still shouldn't be served more than once a week, and not farmed...that is if you are concerned with that kind of thing. There are so many benefits from salmon because it is fattier than a lot of other fish so there are those pro's going for it. I love wild pacific salmon...the dark red always gets my appetite going I know I'm sad lol

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    Salmon isn't as bad but still shouldn't be served more than once a week, and not farmed...that is if you are concerned with that kind of thing. There are so many benefits from salmon because it is fattier than a lot of other fish so there are those pro's going for it. I love wild pacific salmon...the dark red always gets my appetite going I know I'm sad lol
    Well than, I'm sad too!! Lol. Fresh salmon is my weakness!

Good to know...they only get it once a month if that (they don't really like it but they have no choice lol)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    From Health Canada's website

Canned Tuna

Canned tuna, especially canned light tuna, is one of the most popular types of fish for many Canadians. The fish used in canned tuna products are generally younger and smaller and have significantly less mercury than fresh or frozen tuna, so that most Canadians don't need to be concerned about consuming canned tuna.

However, for those who consume large amounts of canned albacore tuna, there is some potential for exposure to higher levels of mercury than is considered acceptable.

Because of this, Health Canada has issued advice for children and some women on the consumption of canned albacore tuna. The advice does not apply to canned light tuna, nor does it apply to Canadians outside of the specified groups.

Canned albacore tuna is also often called canned white tuna, but it is not the same as canned light tuna. Canned light tuna contains other species of tuna such as skipjack, yellowfin, and tongol, which are relatively low in mercury. Canned light tuna also tends to be lower in cost relative to albacore tuna.

Canned Albacore (White) Tuna Advice (does not apply to canned light tuna)

Specified Women - 300 grams a week (4 Food Guide servings)

Children 5-11 years old - 150 grams a week (2 Food Guide servings)

Children 1-4 years old - 75 grams a week (1 Food Guide serving)

* Specified women are those who are or may become pregnant or are breastfeeding.

One Food Guide Serving is 75g, 2 ½ oz, 125 mL, or ½ cup and is equal to about half of a 170-g can (a very common can size).

In January 2007, Health Canada began an extensive survey of mercury levels in canned tuna in Canada. Once this new information is available, the advice related to canned albacore tuna may be further adjusted as required.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post: