Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Termination letter

I know that others have posted about how to terminate (ie. orally, letters, etc), but I am wondering what to put in a termination letter. Should I just keep it short and say that it is not working anymore or should I list all the reasons? Are there any legal ramifications of terminating because of a child's and parents' behaviour? I did state in my contract that I could terminate without notice if it is necessary for the well being of myself, my family and the other kids in my care.

Euphoric !
    I have that clause too but the intention was for a parent that threatens harm, a child that does the same or causes injury to another child on purpose that sort of thing.

I would put it in writing making it up in a word document and then printing out two copies - that will put the date on the page of when it was composed etc. The parents deserve some sort of an explanation but there is no reason to go into all the details in the letter. Make it a simple statement of the rules that were broken such as due to recent allegations and the lack of respect and trust shown for my daycare I find it necessary to terminate care. The last available date for care will be (and then fill in a date 2 weeks away or whatever your notice in your contract is). I tell the parent at pickup that I have made the decision that our relationship just isnt' working out and it would be better if they looked for different arrangements and then had them the letter in a sealed envelope. I don't just sneak it in the bag. But I refuse to talk about it anymore then and there - don't say anything till child is dressed and ready to leave.

This usually has either the parents have a grump, grab the child's stuff and leave immediately which leaves you without income but without the problem family so sometimes peace is worth the price. The family is shocked into reality and comes begging for forgiveness which is then up to you since the ball is totally in your court at that point and you can make any conditions for re-entry you want want. It's like calling the parent's bluff.

Euphoric !
    Thanks Playfelt. I actually want to end care immediately without notice (I did say I could do this in my contract). I do not want to drag this out any longer as it is wearing me down and taking a toll on me and the other kids. I would rather not have that income than continue on down this path. Not only have the parents disrespected me, the child has been bullying others for the past couple of months relentlessly and it has gotten to the point that I don't even want to take her out because she cries all the time and wants me to hold her (she is almost 2). The constant crying has me feeling like I am walking on eggshells all the time and I am just worn out.