Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Playdates!

Outgoing

Outgoing
    I tried to read this bill a while ago, just for fun. I am very familiar with the laws in Que so I was curious about Bill 10 for Ontario. I have to say, geepers! This is one time I'm glad I'm in Que. Our laws are a lot more straightforwardly written. There's a lot of referring to other sections and so it's so confusing.

Just a sample;

Exception re unlicensed child care

(9) If, on the day that the Child Care Modernization Act, 2014 receives Royal Assent, a child care provider provides child care for children at a premises in the circumstances described in subparagraphs 2 i and ii of subsection (3), then until the date mentioned in subsection (10), subparagraph 2 iii of subsection (3) and subsection (5) do not apply to the person in respect of those children.

Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post:

I can not read that bill. It frustrates me to no end!! I'm just going to follow what mr guy told me on the phone. I rather be safe then risk a 200,000$ fine!

Expansive...
    Providers have not been allowed get-togethers for a long time. I think it stemmed from the accident in the Ottawa area where there were 5 providers and a child drowned in someone's backyard.

The only way to get together is to go for a walk, go to the park or splash pad or Early Years Centre and anywhere else that is not on private property.

I have other providers that I meet at the park sometimes and it is nice to be able to talk to an adult and compare procedures and crafts, etc.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Spixie33 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by innisfildaycare View Post
    That is absolutely ridiculous. So what is the difference between having a childs birthday on a Saturday in my home with 13 children? Is it because they are not paying for care?? They are at my home during non-work hours? So I have 5 kids during the week, and my sister drops by with her two kids for a visit, I should kick them out? Thats silly..Im not sure they would go that far as to fine a daycare provider for that, or if another provider comes over for a play date. You are in your home with your own 5 daycare children, as long as you follow the rule with 5 kids at any given time by contracts under your care only, I think visitors are allowed as they are just that, visitors. The children coming for a play date with another provider are just visting, you are not breaking the law, you have your required amount of children in care. I think it would be different, if my sister came over every day to run the daycare, and then I took on 10 kids (5 per each), just because there are two of us, that is not allowed. As far as going on on the drive way and riding bikes up and down the sidewalk, I really cant see that being a problem because that would just be plain silly. I havent re-opened my daycare yet, but everyday after I have my boys friends over playing hockey in my basement, there are well over 5 boys that do not belong to me. Most days, I have over 7 kids (not icluding my own two) over all at once.
    Sorry, I hope I am not coming across as ignorant or oblivious to Bill 10 and I also have no intention of offending anyone. My point in all of this, is that they are not being 100% clear with all of the rules and mostly seem to be making up answers along the way as providers call and ask. The print out I have of bill 10, no where states that I can not have visitors in my home during daycare hours. Mind you I havent had the time to sit and go over every little detail!
    The no playdates with other providers has been in place for many years it is not new with Bill 10. It is against the law and has been for many years. Like many parts of the daycare laws it may not be known by all...but ignorance does not equal forgiveness. Like in any profession it is our duty to be aware of the laws we are governed by, like them or not, whether they make sense or not.

A parent doing pick up with other siblings is in charge of the children and they do not count in our numbers because their parent remains on premise. This would be the same for a relative visiting with their children. This is why doing an interview with a family with their children present during daycare hours is allowable...their parent is in charge of their child, not you. Being a caregiver with 5 children visiting on a playdate is different as that caregiver is also governed by the provincial laws forbidding them from being under one roof with more than 5 daycare children.

Euphoric !
    Hmm...I'm more confused now lol

I was told by a person in dc offices that even if my husband stayed home with our child as a sahd, I'd still only be allowed 3 dck's as it's 4 per house. So why is that different than a parent coming over for a play date?

Like I said, I've done play dates before and even though I've never thought or worried about it, I now wonder if that puts me over??

Yes 5LM u can't do play dates anymore if it puts u over five even if ur hubby stays home your child still counts as he is yours and under your roof

Euphoric !
    Oh I misunderstood. I thought it was saying that a parent or family member could bring their child over for a play date and the dcprovider would still be legal (as long as other parent stayed) but if another dcp brought her dck's, it was illegal

Euphoric !
    A parent in charge of their own children can take them anywhere they want to including your house BUT you can only be in charge of 5 children that are not with their parent - ie you as the provider are acting as their parent. Plus of course as of right now you have your own children too. The issue is that when another provider comes over those children are not with a parent and therefore count in your allowable 5 - even if it makes no sense that is the law. What it means is two providers getting together to share a music teacher or magician, etc is illegal even though many do it. After the incident in Ottawa we got information from the ministry which clarified the rules - well actually to the effect of these have always been the rules and now we are going to enforce them.

Euphoric !
    This is same in PEI. We can have play dates at a public park, at a library, but not in provider home if results in total number of children being more than one provider can watch.

Our own children cannot have play dates after school because their friend also counts in number.

If we want shared music class with another provider, we must hire/rent a room not in our home, so I suppose we could also do same for play date with another provider. I just not thought about that before.

In a dayhome, regardless of situation, only child who is accompanies by their parent, and who is not part of the day care and who doesn't live here and who isn't regularly here, is allowed - so new client for interview would be okay, phase in for short couple of hours with parent stay is okay, relatives visiting with their children is okay.

But

Play dates with other carer not okay. Relatives visiting with their children and the adults going off for the day and leaving children with us is not allowed, phase in were parent leaves child is not allowed unless child whose place they taking already left.