Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Taking a 34 month old/last daycare no nap

Has anyone taken on a child who had previously been allowed to drop their nap?

Mom agrees that child actually need to nap but previous provider said this little girl stopped napping once moved from play hard to nap mat!

Even at interview child seemed exhausted. I said I would just consistent about nap if I were to take on this client and Mom will continue to do nap at home (She does nap now but has trouble getting her daughter to actually sleep, likely because the day car eos letting her stay up

what do u all think? Am I being unrealistic?

Euphoric !
    Why are they looking for new care I would weary in that I would think the parents know what to say to get you to sign them on. If they realize you are firm on naps they will possibly act as if they are all for naps...then let you tough it out and realize the kid just doesn`t nap.

If you did plan to move ahead I would expect a good amount of effort on your part...especially if it is true that the child stopped napping when they switched from playpen to mat. This seems to imply the child isn`t disciplined to staying on the mat as I see no other reason for this to be the reason for naps to end.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Well she is almost 3, which is a fairly common age for some kids to start phasing naps out. (I'm so thankful my 2 almost 4 yo's still nap and even ask for it sometimes lol)

I would try napping her, even for 45-60 mins but in a year or so she will have to cut naps out again for school.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    If you do decide to take her on, have a trial period written into your contract in case it ends up being too disruptive for you. If she won't sleep then give her a few books and tell her she needs to stay in her rest spot just like everyone else. I find having a comfy place for the older ones to rest helps. Babies tend to be fine sleeping on the playpen mat with a couple of sheets, but when they get older, i find they like something that feels like their bed at home. I have my older kids lying on a piece of foam mattress which i sewed a cover for, and is still firm but feels great. They usually like to go for a 'rest in their nest'. good luck!

Euphoric !
    I agree that at this age it is about rest and not necessarily sleep - mom is finding that at home. She needs to be on her mat but with a small dish of things to do or even better she must lay for a period of time and then you will come to get her after all of the others have fallen asleep and allow her to do something from her bin of quiet things you have set up - feltboard or magnet board play is great because it is quiet and you can allow a lot of little pieces during naptime. On the days she falls asleep then she needs it. But make it clear to mom and child that it is NOT your job to entertain the child during rest time as it is your rest time from daycare duties too.

Outgoing
    So, the reason she is looking for because their current daycare is closing.
    I did tell the family that I was not okay with the child not napping,
    so she would have to re - adapt to nap time in order to stay.
    my daycare right now is mostly 2 and 3 year Olds and they all nap, so this little girl would be no exception.

I do allow the children to have books for the last part of nap if they are up early.

I do have it written into my contract that after 2-4 weeks a new child should realistically be becoming comfortable with the daycare routine including nap

Outgoing
    I don't provide service to children who don't need a full afternoon nap. I don't offer any activities.
    Home of child care expertise. Child care consultant for home providers, child care centers, and parents. http://daycarewhisperer.com/
    Please join us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/daycare.whisperer