Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

New daycare, need help

Hi, I am planing to open a home daycare in September. In North york, on.But I am still confused about bill 10. Bill 10 said allow only 5 children in a house. If my tenant rent my basement has kids, even though the kids will not in my class and playground, is it still ok?
    Another question, if I want to renovate my house into a daycare centre to apply for a license, is it allowed or zoning permit only for commercial building ?
    Thank a lot for your help!

Outgoing
    Your basement suite should have is own legal address shouldn't it? I can't see that being a problem.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisaau View Post
    Hi, I am planing to open a home daycare in September. In North york, on.But I am still confused about bill 10. Bill 10 said allow only 5 children in a house. If my tenant rent my basement has kids, even though the kids will not in my class and playground, is it still ok?
    If you have inlaw suite which is what you renting, it same civic address as upstair part of house. Any children in the same civic address will be included in your head count. Also, be aware. The CRA make payment for parent on 20th each month. It called Universal Child Benefit I think. If two families with children live at same civic address, they payment for all children will be made to one family. If you have children of own, you need consider this.

Another question, if I want to renovate my house into a daycare centre to apply for a license, is it allowed or zoning permit only for commercial building ?
    Check with local municipality. This can change from one subdivision to next let alone one area to next. Some homes have zoning which do not allow any business activity and so even an unlicensed day care would not be permitted in some areas.
    Also, be careful if you not property owner. Some landlord not allow business activity from the home so that can be problem issue too.

Starting to feel at home...
    Suzie, where did you find that information? If two tenants are not related and each. Have children, then both families are eligible no matter if the address is the same, I would think. For example, a woman and children's shelter. Technically the same address yet multiple separate families. You are saying that all the children's UCCB would go to ONE parent??

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie_Homemaker View Post
    If you have inlaw suite which is what you renting, it same civic address as upstair part of house. Any children in the same civic address will be included in your head count. Also, be aware. The CRA make payment for parent on 20th each month. It called Universal Child Benefit I think. If two families with children live at same civic address, they payment for all children will be made to one family. If you have children of own, you need consider this.
    UCTB is paid based on guardianship/legal parent. It is paid to the parent who claims the children as their own and that they are primary caregiver on tax returns annually. This other family will have zero impact on that as they are a completely separate family so this is irrelevant. It has nothing to do with where a child lives.

I wouldn't be concerned about your tenant either when it comes to your numbers. If you have a tenants agreement you can prove they are not your children, and not in your care. They are essentially on site but living in a completely separate, self contained area and do not interact with you.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Even if the other tennants and her kids were around you it be fine. Aslong as the parent of those kids is always present. She just can't leave them if u already have five kids in care. And yes u get ur gov mthly payment and she will get hers. It goes by parent not address.