Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Molluscum

Outgoing

Molluscum

Just wondering how many daycare ladies have dealt with Molluscum. It's quite contagious and common in children under 12 years old. If you have dealt with it, how did you approach all of your parents and did you have any parents leave because of it?

Euphoric !
    This is the first I've ever heard of it.

I would think that any parents leaving a daycare (of any type) due to a virus/rash is likely a family that just isn't meant for daycare. You put a group of young, slobbery, snotty. goobery kids together and they are bound to share illnesses!

Outgoing
    Molloscum went thru the neighbourhood kids here and my son had it mildly on the underside of his arms. Doctor said not a problem, just one of those things kids get. Like plantar warts, molloscum takes months to clear even up to a year at times. Daycare parents can be told a child in care has it and I can't imagine anyone leaving over it. It doesn't make you ill. And not everyone who's exposed gets it. Just one of those things they outgrow.

Outgoing
    Parent fact sheet from Hennepin county in, I think, Minnesota- really good resource because they have fact sheets for the common childhood illness for daycares to give to parents.

http://www.hennepin.us/~/media/henne...lus-parent.pdf

Euphoric !
    I don't think I've heard of this but I don't know if I'd allow an infected child to come even though the link says they can. The link says it can spread by close contact, which obviously happens a lot at dc and I wouldn't want other children risk getting it. It doesn't sound like a horrible thing to have, other than the inconvenience of it obviously but I still wouldn't want it to be passed around until the contagious period is over.

I can't imagine any parent leaving a dc due to anything like this unless it was a common occurrence and they felt the dc wasn't a "clean" one. I know that things go around like crazy and it's hard to prevent some but it would worry me if my dc constantly had some sort of illness going around. Hdc's typically are better than centres in this regard though as less children usually means less illnesses.

Outgoing
    False alarm, it was bug bites of some kind. Already starting to heal! I had a case of this many years ago and let the child go. In that case the child was allergic to band aids and the mom refused to giver her child melds for it or keep it covered. I think as long as the parents are trying to deal with it appropriately I would allow the child to remain.

Expansive...
    it is nice to have a false alarm and just have bug bites

Expansive...
    realistically Molloscum is so common- but not serious I wouldn't really worry about it... like plantar warts, kind of just a bother.