Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Starting to feel at home...
    I really am getting tired of making food to throw in the garbage. Another day that the kids didn't eat lunch. I am trying to simplify the lunch so that the kids will eat. I served chicken quesadilla (small pieces of chicken mixed with a little salsa and shredded cheese) and apple slices and oranges. STILL the small ones didn't eat and threw it on the floor.

I really don't want to fed the one child baby food if he doesn't eat because what gives him the incentive to eat MY food. THEN she wants me to give him a bottle just before naptime. How can I tell her that this needs to be cut out? I think the other kids get jealous that he gets to eat different food. Even my 3 year old says that he gets baby food at home, thinking that maybe I will give him some.

I want my kids to eat. Any have ANY ideas of simplier foods to feed them that they might like?
    ~~Proud Mama and Owner/Operator of Cutie Pie Daycare~~

**I usually have the kids sit for 15-20 minutes and I encourage to try the foods. Then I offer a dessert or fruit. Should I just be serving the fruit together with the lunch at the same time?

I serve fruit & veggies at lunch.

**If a child doesn't like red sauce, should I offer the lunch with NO red sauce?

Yup.

**I have some kids that through their food on the floor, and I just take it away. What have you done for this?

I take it away and they no longer get it for the remainder of lunch time (or snack time). They also get a big NO from me too!

I serve the whatever the dish at lunch time, and that's what they eat. They don't like it, tough, I'm not making separate lunches - it's not fair. I have one really picky eater here, but he'll soon learn that he has to eat what's on his tray!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah A View Post
    I really am getting tired of making food to throw in the garbage. Another day that the kids didn't eat lunch. I am trying to simplify the lunch so that the kids will eat. I served chicken quesadilla (small pieces of chicken mixed with a little salsa and shredded cheese) and apple slices and oranges. STILL the small ones didn't eat and threw it on the floor.

I really don't want to fed the one child baby food if he doesn't eat because what gives him the incentive to eat MY food. THEN she wants me to give him a bottle just before naptime. How can I tell her that this needs to be cut out? I think the other kids get jealous that he gets to eat different food. Even my 3 year old says that he gets baby food at home, thinking that maybe I will give him some.

I want my kids to eat. Any have ANY ideas of simplier foods to feed them that they might like?
    Maybe try separating the foods instead of mixing them in something like a quesadilla. Instead serve chicken, cheese, veggies and tortilla all separate and maybe salsa for dipping for those who like it. A lot of kids won't eat things mixed, especially mixed with something like salsa even if it is mild. At least the kids ar elikely to eat something and not waste the entire lunch. Also, I would just serve small amounts so that there is less waste if they don't eat it.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah A View Post
    I would have made a full quesadilla for my lunch but for the kids they would have gotten it all separate on their plate so the chicken warmed up and in a small pile with a small dab of very mild salsa - with the chunks mashed out beside in case they wanted to dip (or substituted spagetti sauce), a pile of mixed frozen veggies boiled longer than we would like so they are really soft, cut the cheese into strips so they can pick it up with their hands instead of shredded, and the pita or bun or some sort of bread cut into pieces, and then the fruit on the plate. I don't serve oranges or raw apple to under 18 months so they would have gotten banana or slivered grapes or pears which are softer than apples so less chocking. The idea here is that the stuff is separate not assembled. That allows a child to eat some of the meal if there is something they don't like. So together if a child doesn't like salsa, the entire meal is non edible. Apart there is no excuse for not eating at least half of what is there.