Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Can you stop napping my kid?

DC mom asks me to stop napping her kid (2.5 yrs old). She knows the rules, I had her other daughter. She keep s commenting on how late her daughter stays up in her bed at night and getting out of bed etc. I think this is a parenting issue, not a nap issue. She engages with her kid constantly during the night instead of just ignoring her which is what I suggested. I also told her if shes in her bed, who cares if she's awake (she watches her on the monitor). As long as she wakes up happy, is happy during the day and naps for me then we're good. Her other daughter "stopped napping at 2 yrs." She also napped for me.

I told her I can't keep her awake. She is leaving in 3 mos for a maternity leave anyways. I will try my own experiment and see how she suddenly goes down at night when mom thinks she is not napping very well here.

Expansive...
    I have a parent like that. He comments all the time on how dcg stays up late. She is 31/2 and I still require that she lie down for one hour, so sometimes she sleeps, sometimes she doesn't.

At 2.5 though I would still expect a child to sleep/rest for the full length of naptime. A part of me wonders why should would even ask if she only has three months left? Does she really think you are going to go through all that trouble knowing she is leaving anyways? I mean, seriously.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fun&care For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Oh my goodness I could have written this word for word! Same age, same conversation as for older brother 2 yrs ago, same issues.

Expansive...
    I do want to add that it probably isn't a parenting issue though. i went through something similar with my daughter at the same age.

Whether it's a parenting issue or not doesn't matter though. What matters is that you get your well deserved break during the day and that isn't going to happen if you are in the company of a 2.5 year old. She can deal with her kid being up a tad late.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fun&care For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Fun&care View Post
    I do want to add that it probably isn't a parenting issue though. i went through something similar with my daughter at the same age.

Whether it's a parenting issue or not doesn't matter though. What matters is that you get your well deserved break during the day and that isn't going to happen if you are in the company of a 2.5 year old. She can deal with her kid being up a tad late.
    I think in this situation it is. Both her children nap for me. They are getting into a power struggle at night. She will even tell me how she doesn't nap her kid on the weekend and she still doesn't go to bed earlier.

Euphoric !
    I totally sympathize with that parent cause one of my own children did not require a lot of sleep and when he was 2.5 I had to take his nap away because he was not going to bed till after 1030 at night iwas preg at the time and needed to go to bed by 9 as I had to be up at 615 am ... His provider at the time did not want to stop napping him because she wanted to nap at the same time ... I ended up going on mat leave 2.5 months early cause I just couldn't get enough sleep with hi napping in the aft .... To this day that child now 10 gets up at 715am and does not go to bed till 1030pm......now that I am a provider I do insist that children rest and I do wake them early (after 45 mins ) if the parent us having a problem at night but the child is still required to stay in their cot till nap time is over

Starting to feel at home...
    I'm having the same issue. I told dcd I'd try to keep dcg up, but immediately regretted saying that. I then said, I will see how she is and play it by ear. I may just leave her in the playpen with books.
    She is just over 2 and I think she needs a nap her as much as I need the break. I don't believe in waking kids up, it's bad for their nervous system. So I think it's a phase or maybe she just needs a more strict bed time routine.

Euphoric !
    I require all kids to be in their bed /nap for 2 hours until they turn 4. This is not negotiable. They don't have to sleep but I need a break!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I don't provide service to children who don't need a full afternoon nap.
    Home of child care expertise. Child care consultant for home providers, child care centers, and parents. http://daycarewhisperer.com/
    Please join us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/daycare.whisperer