Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Amber teething necklace

16mth old dcb came in today with an amber necklace on. Mom says helps him a lot. I unfortunantley told her that I don't allow them in my daycare. I know they are not suppose to break but I did read of one breaking while the child was in her crib. So I am just not comfortable with anything that small regardless how well it's made. Mom was quite upset and I reassured her that it can be put right back on at pick up and I usually don't have teething problems with him during the day. I also explained its just to much of a safety issue for me with four other children around.

Do u guys allow necklaces in your daycares?

Euphoric !
    Such a tough one. When you tell her you do not feel it is safe you basically tell her you think she is purposefully being unsafe for her child and a sensitive mom can read this as...I care about your child more than you.

If you are not comfortable with it then use direct reason why that pertain to the daycare setting...not the home setting. You are worried another toddler will get a hold of it and yank hard putting pressure on her child's neck. Reasons like that which put the safety risk in a daycare setting not the home setting so she can be okay with her decision to use it while at home.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Yes that's why I did. She is sensitive so I was careful using ex like a child can pull it or may get caught on a toy and I have other children to watch etc. I think she did understand in the end.

Euphoric !
    I don't allow jewelry period including the teething necklaces. I cringe at little ones with pierced ears even but at least those items are really really small.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I don't allow them either.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I do allow the amber necklaces and small stud earrings - pierced ears is a pet peeve but once done, not much I can do about situation. The amber necklace I worried about first time but they tend to be quite snug and haven't caused issue. I do tell parent that if it gets grabbed by another child and broken that is risk they take in wearing here and I not taking responsibility for it. It been a non-issue to date.

Euphoric !
    I allow teething necklaces, earrings, bracelets, necklaces, hair clips, ponytails etc and use common sense throughout the day to dictate when/if they need to go away. The 2 amber necklaces I've had were the right fit and the children couldn't put it in their mouth so risk of breaking was small IMO. I've seen some kids wearing them too big and they've been sucking on them. Just a couple weeks ago the back to an earring came out....looked for a good 20 mins before we found it!! But I'm not going to tell the parent she can't wear earrings at dc. She helped look for it and couldn't play with her friends (the other older child offered to help look too! So sweet) until it was found.

I am more of the type that thinks teaching them young on how to properly care/handle their items, the better. Obviously there are larger risks with some things but I don't necessarily take all the risks out of my dc...there's no way I could and I'd go crazy trying! Lol

Outgoing
    No jewelry here
    Home of child care expertise. Child care consultant for home providers, child care centers, and parents. http://daycarewhisperer.com/
    Please join us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/daycare.whisperer

12. The Following User Says Thank You to daycarewhisperer For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I am not a fan of the teething necklaces but would allow them with the understanding that they are removed at nap. Well, one day I forgot, I am busy, and when I went to get 13 month old dcg it was all in her mouth. Done that day, not allowed here anymore. It is my liability, my daycare and my life as a caregiver on the line. No thank you

14. The Following User Says Thank You to madmom For This Useful Post: