Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Fun&care View Post
    The thing is though that bill 10 could really throw a wrench in all this. Keep in mind- you are only allowed 2 under 2 at any one time. The only way to get older kids is if you get a mom coming off mat leave with two siblings but honestly they are hard to come by.
    This will vary on area. Might not be doom and glum for all.

We not allowed more than 2 under 18 months. We not allowed more than 3 combined infant and toddler ages - under 35 months. We only allowed 5 max and our own kids count until they are 12.

But I usually manage to fill all 5 places even with only two infant or three infant/toddler combined. So it likely area specific. And this not high demand area. We are a good 45 mins out of Charlottetown which most populated area so we have limited client anyway.

There is some people who manage to earn enough from this as single parents. Most provinces have restrictions similar to what is coming for Ontario already and those single income providers have managed to survive but it will be tight for sure. My husband is semi-retired now, and our children are grown up but even with small second income, I do see difference in tightness of money. We have some mortgage left but no other debt and no car loan so like other provider, luckier than most. But there have been times where I've had whole year of one vacancy or other when fishing industry is poor or when local companies close meaning some go West. I think if you expect to be full at all times, it might be naive.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I am a single mom doing it, and my honest advice is....don't! I started before I separated, and just continued on after, and now i feel totally trapped in this business. Many ladies have already stated very important expenses and reasons that you need to consider, so i won't repeat them, but i will add a few.
    1. damages and emergency repairs that will pop up need to be budgetted in, as well as long term expenses that you will have. for example, just this last week, my lawnmower keeled over, fortunately my boyfriend fixed it. I needed a new roof two years ago, I am still paying that off. I needed to buy a new printer last month, lets not get started with my car....there will always be an unexpected expense.
    2. unpaid sick days, I needed minor surgery, had to take off two days for that, a day for pre-op appt, and a day for post-op (not to mention the time I had to take for the testing to find out my issue....not one of thoses days were paid, that's over a week. i am guessing that if the parents in your area wont pay $30/day for care, they also won't pay for your sick days?
    3. your kids expenses will likely grow in the next few years, my daughter is in grade 8, son in grade 5, school and extra activities get expensive (just this month I have trips to pay for, graduation, sports, etc) my daughter has a cell phone, and everyone her age does, my son does not, and he is one of the only kids in his class that doesn't.
    4. Hopefully your ex takes the kids, my ex does....sometimes, but not equally and often travels for business. that leaves me with kids 24/7 which can be too much. as other have said, you can only have two under two, so chances are you will have kids that will be outgrowing naps, so I have weeks where I have kids with me all day, no breaks.....you will need alone /adult time, and if your ex is not there (I don't mean to assume, I just know how it is for me)you will have to get a babysitter, or have family or friends that will help out (I am lucky to have that) Also you will work 50 hours PLUS you will spend time planning, interviewing, cleaning, shopping that you don't do now, so this job is way more then the hours you spend watching kids
    5.You will have clients that are simply not fair or considerate, they will not pay you on time, leave without notice, or perhaps you will get a client that you just cant work with and you will want/need to terminate....I budget on a half full daycare, that way, if I have a slow time, I can handle it, and when I am full, I have extra
    6. Your kids might not like having their home as a daycare, and even if they do, they and you, will need some room in your home that does not get used by the daycare. I am lucky that I have a spare bedroom for my kids as a "game room" and daycare kids do not use my basement rec room. It is also hard for my kids to have me there, but to understand that I am not availble to them because I am working, that can be very stressful

Right now, for me to go out and get a job, I am 10years out of the "workforce". I would have to take a low-paying job (retail, factory etc) or go back to school. I just cant afford that right now, without disrupting my kids lives (and I don't want to do that)
    Now there are many reasons why this works for me too (I have never paid extra taxes at the end of the year, my kids are big expenses, I claim all I can, and I have a great accountant that helps me stay in line. I got almost $700 back this year) I am my own boss, and I have no commute, I can wear yoga pants everyday (or even Pjs if I wanted!)

It can be done, but it's never easy.

Also I just wanted to add, there are everyday expenses that do add up. toilet paper, dish soap, laundry soap, tissues, hand soap, papertowels,cleaning supplies, etc they don't seem like much, but they do add up. water, heat, electric will all go up when you are home all day.
    Last edited by MsBell; 05-13-2015 at 12:08 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MsBell For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I would encourage you to stay put in your job. There are too many risks. I think one thing that gets missed when choosing this profession is how little time you get with your actual kids once you open a home daycare. I did this to spend time with them but I am unable to 1) take them to the Dr. 2) go volunteer in class 3) spend time with just them in the summer (unless on vac). Also, you will be wiped in the evenings, have to program, clean and cook in the evenings

You also need to factor in your closures for vacation and that that time is unpaid.

Outgoing
    If a daycare is "under the table" I am assuming that means the money they charge parents is not claimed on their taxes as income. And I am further assuming that if they aren't claiming it on their taxes, they aren't providing the receipts to the parents either.

Well, that's your 'hook' so to speak. You can give receipts for the parents to claim, the others can't. I'm sure the CRA would love to hear about these daycares.

If, you think they may be illegal, meaning operating with way too many kids, then I'm sure the Ministry would love to hear from you too. If you plan to make this your profession and you will act professionally, then you should expect it of others too.

Starting to feel at home...
    I wouldn't be discouraged. Work your finances out and go with what works best for your family. If starting an in home daycare is something you really want to do, you can make it work. Cut down costs by price matching LITERALLY EVERYTHING from groceries to toys and everything in between. Having a job outside of the home is ALOT harder then working inside the home, IMO, based on my own experiences. Most companies aren't too thrilled when you say you would like to take the morning off to volunteer at your childs school, or that you might have to take 1 week off of work to stay home with one sick child, only to turn around and have to stay home the next week with your other child who then caught it and then the week after, once you have become sick. Most companies, dont allow paid time off or sick days. Most companies only offer vacation in consecutive weeks which means, any additional days off are not paid, hence the fact that taking time off work outside the home is just as hard as trying to take time off while running an in home daycare. While I was doing daycare (6 years) I spent tons and tons of time with my boys. Yes, I was running a daycare, but my boys were with me. Its now, that I have been back to work that I dont spend alot of time with them. When I am home, Im busy cooking, cleaning, laundry etc. When I did daycare, anything i did with the daycare kids (as part of my job) always included my boys. We played games, we sang, we danced, we learned, we walked, we painted, we colored on and on and on. Now, my boys say to me "mommy, you never do anything with us" my heart breaks!! Hence the fact that I am re-opening my daycare in July. YES, I am leaving an amazing job with amazing employers and YES I will suffer from a huge pay cut, YES we will be extremely tight with money, YES my salary will never be stable or steady BUT my boys will have their mommy back! And although my boys wont be small forever, Im willing to give up everything for them right now no matter how stupid I may be right now at the moment or how much I will regret it later.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to innisfildaycare For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I can see it easy to get trapped in this business.

Although income not great, and high risk, the benefit of tax allowance mean that if work outside the home, I would need earn about $10k more than I do to come out the same.

Sure, outside employment saves cost of health insurance (most of time) but knowing I can deduct 40% of my power, heat, water, house insurance, property taxes, cable, internet, house maintenance from tax bill does have a value.

Having done this long time now, I can see that I have de-skilled myself in many areas meaning if I took job outside home, I would realistically be in min wage employment. Having that $10.35 an hour is more than I get after expenses, but risks are that I not get my 9 hours a day are high. Lot of employers only taking part time worker for min wage jobs so that is a worry and also need to pay utilities etc in full would have to be considered.

I can see how carers get trapped in this business and so if you have FT job already, which pay more than min wage, gives health insurance, paid leave, sick pay and maybe some pension, I would not be willing to give up for high risk of day care as only income.

I would say if leaving work force to become carer, you need to be aware that income will be tight and it very hard to return to work force after a few years being out of it, unless you re-train for something. As we age, we must consider that it likely health will fail before retirement, and those sick days add up. If have serious health issue, even for few months, that can be enough to lose income completely and can you manage with no income?
    Last edited by Suzie_Homemaker; 05-13-2015 at 05:26 PM.