Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sunscreen

Outgoing

Sunscreen

I have a mom that would prefer that I not put sunscreen on her child. She has very blonde hair and has a fair complexion. I'm worried about liability and told mom she would have to sign a liability release form. Any ideas on what should be included in this form?

I would have the mom sign something saying that she doesn't want you putting any on her children and that she takes full responsibility if her child gets a sunburn.

Euphoric !
    Has she requested an alternative? I've known families that don't use sunscreen but rather use large brimmed hats and long sleeves and long pants so no skin is exposed, they of course choose their fabrics wisely to help keep cool. What have they requested in place of sunscreen?

Euphoric !
    Agree on asking mom to provide suncare clothing and there are several lines meant to protect against sun rays, wide hat, etc. in the sense that mom needs to take responsibility knowing you are taking them out in the sun. I would also have her sign something saying that she is aware that you may be outside at any hour of the daycare day and that she does not want her child to wear sunscreen.

I don't put sunscreen on them unless I have to because I would rather they were not lathered in it every day either. We are outside from 7:30 to 9:00 and it is up to parent to apply sunscreen before coming if they want it used. We are out again after nap so after 3:15 and yard is mostly shaded. I will put on sunscreen after nap before outside if parent provides the sunscreen.

Expansive...
    I wouldn't let her have that option. Sunscreen is a must here. It was the same at the centre I worked at. We were told that no sunscreen falls under the "neglect" category as far as reporting a parent.

Im the same. No option here. Sunscreen is a must. I do not want to deal with a sore burnt child

Starting to feel at home...
    Just curious: what's her reasoning behind no sunscreen?

I don't know what I'd do in a situation like that. I could be wrong, but doesn't sunscreen help with things like heat stroke too?

For the form, I'd include things like:

-she acknowledges that her child will be outside for up to ___ hours in a day.
    -she's aware that your yard/the parks/streets etc aren't always very shaded.
    -she does not want her child wear sunscreen
    -she will take full responsibility for her child getting a sunburn.
    -in the event of a sunburn or heat stroke, she must pick her child up immediately.
    -she must provide UV protected clothing, hats, etc.

As I'm writing this out I'm not even sure that I would even agree to this....how old is the child?

Euphoric !
    There are people who choose not to use sunscreen for various reasons. I've never had a parent not want me to put ss on but I've had a couple who sent their own because they needed different brands/types than I offer. I do think ss on their child is a choice they are allowed to have. I worked in centres and I know we had at least one child who didn't get ss on but wore appropriate clothing for outdoors.

If I had a parent request NO sunscreen than I'd do what you are doing and get them to sign a policy stating why they chose this route, that they accept full responsibility of whatever consequences may occur and that they will try to send child in a "sun safe" outfit. (Or keep a couple appropriate spares at dc to change into)

For myself, a child with no ss wouldn't be a HUGE problem as I avoid long periods of time outdoors when the UV is high and especially during 11-3 when the sun is typically the hottest (I've even heard of 10-4 but that's not a good time for our schedule)

***just a sidenote on ss....remember that for it to be affective you need to apply at least 1/2-a full shot glass size of it and at least 30 minutes prior to going outside!
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 05-20-2015 at 08:06 AM.

Euphoric !
    Perhaps she needs to see the pictures of me following a surgery 18 months ago. A tumour that ran from the side of my nose nearly all the way across to outer edge of my cheek. It was only detectable from a small, white spot on the surface. The tumour needed to be cut out, the hole refilled with something (still don't know what). To repair the facial damage, they did a 'cheek flap' repair, which is basically cutting half your face off and shifting it. I have a scar that runs from just above my top lip, all the way up the side of my nose to my inner eye, across all the way to my hairline, down the side of my face where it turns a little to make way for my ear lobe then down to about the middle of my neck.

This was from what appeared to be a tiny skin cancer. It was Basal Cell....and that's the one you DO want 'cause it won't kill you. That mum is crazy. Use the sunscreen. I am a dark haired, dark eyed woman. The staff at Sunnybrook was astounded that I had this. That little girl will fry. No negotiation....sunsc reen. It's waaaaay too important...take it from this sun worshiper who didn't think sun protection was all that big a deal.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy ECE mommy View Post
    I wouldn't let her have that option. Sunscreen is a must here. It was the same at the centre I worked at. We were told that no sunscreen falls under the "neglect" category as far as reporting a parent.
    I think calling it neglect is a little far fetched. Most parents who choose to opt out of using sunscreen do so after doing lots and lots of research and weighing the pros and cons. And to me this is the opposite of neglect, whether or not it aligns with your own personal views.

I am one of those parents who isn't 100% comfortable with sunscreen but also not 100% comfortable with no sun protection either. My kids always wear hats and clothing that protects their shoulders. We have a pretty shaded yard too. I say that you should ask that the child always wears clothing that protects her shoulders because they are the body part most likely to get burned so no muscle shirts, spaghetti straps etc and she must always wear a wide brimmed hat. You might be surprised how effective this is and how little sunscreen you need. And definitely make her sign a waiver releasing you of liability should she get a sunburn.

I've always felt that the cancer-sun exposure theory was very simplistic. We've been living under the sun for eons yet skin cancer is a relatively new disease. I think some day they will find the cause for cancer and my bet is it won't be directly related to sun exposure. I know supper healthy people who passed from cancer and other super unhealthy people who eat junk and worship the sun who are living into their 80s so how can we say that we really know anything at all!

Sun exposure has so many benefits including sufficient production of vitamin d. That being said, when to comes to kids and their fragile skin it's deifnetely best to be very careful.