Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Question Separation Anxiety or...?

Hello all, I am a stay at home mum of a 9 month old girl, and I watch a little 14 month old boy. I have been looking after him for going on two weeks now, and I'm unsure if he is settling in ok or not.

I see it when they are coming up to my house, he recognizes where he is and starts getting upset. He will cry when his mum is leaving but if I sing to him and cuddle him - and at his mums suggestion put a nursery rhyme video on - then he is fine after 10 mins. A few hours in he might have another cry - this is likely just tiredness, but he might really be unhappy I'm not sure. I have had varying success in getting him to nap, many times I have to bring them out in the double buggy and they'll both pass out together. I have only just starting watching him and his mum is a close friend of mine, so she does trust me, but I can't tell if he just really misses him mum or if he doesn't enjoy being at my place. I do everything I can to make sure he feels safe and has his food etc. Could this simply be separation anxiety, even after two weeks?

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Yes for sure. I had one little guy take two mths till he felt ok being here. Some kids adjust quickly while others take longer. The average time to adjust for a one yr old is around a mth. So give it a couple more wks . Especially if he's happy in the buggy and falls asleep, happy watching a video, and eating well he'll adjust soon and be happy all day. No worries. Your doing a great job!!!!

Euphoric !
    Sounds like he is actually settling in fine in the sense that it can take up to a month for them to make the transition and it is also a rough age in the sense that they are right between being a baby and gaining independence with walking etc. and needing extra security. Just keep doing what you are doing and each week will get better. The fact he stops crying is the clue that he is settling in.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Yes, it sounds like he is fine and you are doing a good job. when they are so young they cry to let us know they are tired or hungry or just to remind us they are a bit needy and if he is only having 2 major cries for the day you are doing something right so don't worry

Shy
    Hi everyone, thanks for your helpful replies I hope he is settling in. Today we are having a rough day. Everyone is sick and I can't leave his sight without him crying. I've tried directed play and trying to sneak away but so far that's not working.

Euphoric !
    Hope you all get healthy soon!!! That can be a setback when transitioning so keep that in mind. Good luck!