Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How We Dress

Outgoing

How We Dress

Do you think it matters at all how we dress as providers? How about during an interview? I try to look somewhat professional even tho I'm home all day except maybe Fridays I'll do sweats. I still wear comfy clothes, just not sweats/jeans daily. Do u think it matters? Do u think parents care how we look? Leggings and blouses are my fave combo.

Its funny because I was at my daughter's highschool recently and one of the teachers there (man) had hair down his back in pony tail, beat up jeans and scraggy shirt - looked a bit like a junkie, and my daughter says "he's our fave teacher". Guess it doesn't always matter but I still try to look like I care even tho I know I'll be getting goober all over me by end of day Thanks for your opinions!

Euphoric !
    I don't worry about it. I dress for comfort and it is the perk to staying home. I can be a slob if I want to lol. Jeans, comfy pants and t-shirts here daily. I worked in an office most of my other jobs and hated dressing up so this is right up my alley. I don't wear makeup or do anything with my hair. I am low maintenance lol.

What I wear at work is what I wear after work. I am very basic. My clothes are always clean and wrinkle free.
    Last edited by mickyc; 05-26-2015 at 02:43 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I went through a phase where I dressed "nice", but got so tired of having my nice clothes ruined. so now I basically dress like a slob during daycare hours. I do better for interviews, and if I can, I love to have a shower after work and dress for my evening, b ut that is hard to do when I have kids here right until 530, then have to get my own kids out for their activities.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MsBell For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Considering all the times that I get snot wiped on me, food spit up on me, etc... I just wear my comfortable clothes. Most of the times it's jeans, yoga pants, hoodies and tees.
    That's one of the perks of doing this job....we don't need to buy an extra wardrobe of fancy work clothes

Although for interviews, I try to look a bit better to make a good first impression.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mattsmom For This Useful Post:

I think clean and comfortable is key! Whatever that may look like for other people. As long as comfortable isn't scruffy or that one looks like they just got out of bed then I think it's perfectly fine to wear sweats and a hoody. Sometimes those kinds of clothes are easier to move in too. Regardless, being well presented is important given that first impressions are so important. I don't wear anything different for interviews than I do each day for work. I don't want to misguide anyone. If it's good enough for my day job and that is my reality, then that's what I'll wear to interview in too. Good rule of thumb is no holes, tears or stains and well fitting clothes. Usually results in being adequately presentable.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    For the most part I'm in my yoga pants or leggings with a tshirt or nice shirt, clean hair and look tidy. I actually don't really have sweats and only a handful of jeans and shorts. I dress for comfort almost 24/7 anyways lol. I still have my home clothes that I wouldn't wear for work though...those are kept for only close friends and family to be exposed too haha

If I'm going out with dc or have an interview, I dress up and do my hair and makeup, otherwise that's kept for weekends and the occasional weeknight.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I think somewhere in the middle is appropriate. Wearing dress pants and blouses would give the impression you don't go near the kids! But being stained, wrinkles or in pj's can also leave the impression that you are more a babysitter than a business owner.

Clean, but comfy works. And the clean only counts for the morning drop offs...by the end of the day we are lucky to be clean lol. I tend to live in lululemon type clothes, or stuff from MEC. I really like the pants and shirts that are really thin and roll into shorts and short sleeves. Keeps me warm in the morning but cool in the warm afternoons.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

If you are clean, well kept and dressed for a day with kids and look alert and happy, that should satisfy everyone. No one wants to bring their kids to a miserable looking slob. If you can't put in the effort to look professional for this business then parents are going to wonder how well you will look after their kids.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I usually wear jeans and a simple top in cooler weather and shorts or capris and and a t-shirt in hot weather. I just make sure there is no cleavage when I bend, no necklaces or earrings for the kids to grab and NO WHITE

I find I always analyze based on what the menu is and whether we are painting on how dark I dress and I try not to wear anything that I would be upset about if it got stained with paint or fruit stains.

I wear makeup and have my hair nice but I don't really put too much effort. I don't do jogging pants but see nothing wrong with jeans considering we have to be down on the floor a lot.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Spixie33 For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I dress comfortably (yoga pants or capris almost every day, with a tshirt or tank top) but neat, tidy and put together. I always wear a little makeup and my hair is always done. Comfortable is key because of the nature of our jobs (I"m down on the floor 1/2 the time!), but sloppy would't sit right with me. And I dress up more for interviews so they realize I take my business seriously!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Lou For This Useful Post: