Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question After school care

I do after school care and as of Sept I will be full at 5 children 1 is my own. Can I have a helper and and have additional children? I would like to take on 2 boys but then that would put me over 5 for two days a week. I have one child that comes 2 days a week. Thank you for your time!

No. It is FIVE children per RESIDENT. Not ADULT. U can have a helper for sure but YOU CAN NOT HAVE MORE THEN FIVE KIDS AT ONE TIME!! I know it's dumb when there are more then one adult around to help. But the rule is no more then five kids per house regardless how many adults are on site.

Quote Originally Posted by canongate@bell.net View Post
    I do after school care and as of Sept I will be full at 5 children 1 is my own. Can I have a helper and and have additional children? I would like to take on 2 boys but then that would put me over 5 for two days a week. I have one child that comes 2 days a week. Thank you for your time!
    Where are you located, that might effect whether or not you can. I doubt it anyway but I can only speak for Ontario which is for the reason babydom said. Zoning laws and insurance are the issue beyond what the DNA and bill 10 say. Even if you can in your province, you still need to call your insurance company to confirm numbers.

Outgoing
    If you're in Ontario, then babydom is right: 5 kids at any one time per premises, not per adult. Your own child will only count as one of the 5 until they are 6, under Bill 10.

Being over in numbers, even only occasionally, even just for 5 minutes, is technically illegal and under the new rules, you could be fined up to $250,000.

If you can manage to juggle days, you could have as many kids as you wanted enrolled, as long as you never exceeded 5 at any one time, including any of your own under 6.

Euphoric !
    I would suggest you speak to the parents of the child coming 2 days per week and let them know you can no longer offer part time care (either full time care or pay for full time). You can cite Bill 10 as the reason as your child now counts in your numbers.

Thank you ladies

Yes, I'm in Ontario and my son is 8.
    So because he is 8 he doesn't count in the #'s. That is good news. I can have 5 kids. I'm sorry for my late response I thought it would email me.
    Thanks in advance

So if I have another child in my care that is above 6. Do they count in the 5.

Euphoric !
    No, other people's kids need to be over 12 yrs old (come Jan) to be exempt from your numbers. Over 10 until Jan.

Its very confusing to me that some people say you can have 5 kids including you own and others say 5 plus you own.
    Who do you call? My son is 8 and we live in Ontario. Before and after school care
    Thank you in advance

Right now u can have five not including your own. All daycare kids count up to age 10. The new bill 10 comes in effect this August 31st. So the new rules will be five kids including your own kids under six years old. And all daycare kids under age 12 count. So your 8yr old will never count. But if u take another school age child and they are age 12 or under then they will count. So you can have six kids. Five daycare kids ages 0-12 and your son. Hope this helps.