Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Euphoric !

Hiring an assistant

We are trying to get pregnant so I am looking into hiring someone to help me this summer 2 mornings a week at the park and to cover the daycare while I am at Dr appts. I had someone last summer and I didn't pay her taxes etc because she was very casual and as long as she makes less than$3000 you don't have to pay taxes for them (according to my accountant). I won't have her back this year because she would bring her son as part of the deal and I really just need someone who can be fully available to my daycare kids. I am aware of the ratios etc and depending on what things look like when I get pregnant (numbers wise) I will take my kids with me to the appointments so this carer is not over ratio.

I'll be honest, I am scared to leave the kids with anyone because I would be liable if something happens. How have other people handled being pregnant and running a daycare? Are there OB's that work Saturdays?

Outgoing
    I am due the end of July and have had my husband watch the kids when I have doctor's appointments. It is in my contract that he is my backup if he can be available, and he works a lot of weekends so has weekdays off frequently. My OB doesn't work Saturdays, and I don't know of any doctors except ones at walk-ins that do, so unfortunately my husband can't come to appointments.

For ultrasounds though, there is usually at least one place that is open Saturdays. My city only has 50,000 people and we got ultrasounds on Saturdays no problem. If an issue came up that required both of us at a doctor's appointment, I would have no choice but to close and either take my kids or have my MIL drive up to watch them. Luckily that hasn't happened so far.

I've never had to have that many appointments though (the 2 mornings a week that you mentioned) and that would be hard - there's no way my hubby could cover all of that. I'd look into hiring someone too, but you'd have to have all your clients meet this person and sign something acknowledging the times she will be with the children and that they are ok with that.

Is there a way to arrange for slightly later drop-offs and try and get the first appointment of the day at your OB's office instead?

Euphoric !
    To clarify, I won't have appts twice a week, that is separate just to have someone come and help me take the kids to the park/splash pad. My group is considerably younger this summer and I am just not as confidant that I will feel as comfortable with this group at the park. So it would be 2 mornings a week plus any OB appts.

I was considered "high risk" for my pregnancies due to a preexisting medical condition. I had a million appts for baby #1 and attended a high risk clinic. For baby #2, they were more relaxed about everything as my first pregnancy went off without a hitch. So, I may have more appts than the average person but not a ton.

Euphoric !
    I think you just need to over come the fear of leaving them with someone else! Sounds like a great plan, hire someone now to go to the park with you. That should build your comfort level so when you do need to leave them you trust her and the kids do to. Also, should this pregnancy actually become high risk you have a plan in place.

My pregnancy with may daughter involved weekly appointments. I then also had biweekly ultrasounds from about 24 weeks on. Ended up on bed rest from 31weeks (contractions every 3minutes round the clock) and had her at 35weeks0days! So glad I wasn't trying to do home daycare at that point in life!

I suspect once you get to know the person and once you NEED to go to the appointments you will be less concerned about the 'what ifs'!!

Euphoric !
    Do have have local college which offer ECE training?
    Would it be worthwhile contacting to see about a work placement?
    At least summer mean they might be available if not got other job and the ECE would mean genuine interest. Not first year student but more experience.

Euphoric !
    Thanks for your feedback. I will place and ad and figure out the details with this person. I looked into an ECE student previously and they won't allow the student to go out to a home daycare unfortunately.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by torontokids View Post
    Thanks for your feedback. I will place and ad and figure out the details with this person. I looked into an ECE student previously and they won't allow the student to go out to a home daycare unfortunately.
    I'm sorry, won't allow? I understand that it wouldn't be a work placement for credit. Totally get that. But I'm sure you could find someone looking for a summer job.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by torontokids View Post
    I looked into an ECE student previously and they won't allow the student to go out to a home daycare unfortunately.
    That odd!

I had call about year ago from college asking if I willing to take one of their student for placement. The student had me and one other place as her preference. I did not have clue who this person was and thought maybe she picked my dayhome based on her home location.

Euphoric !
    The colleges won't allow their students to be placed in a home daycare for their placements. At least the schools I called in Toronto. Maybe if I was licensed there wouldn't be an issue.

I had also called our local high school to inquire about a placement student (not to do what I am looking for now but an extra set of hands etc) and they wouldn't do it either.

You can post an ad on Kijiji, Craiglist, etc. and also add that you are looking for an ECE student or any other requirement you have. I have had ECE and ECE students working for me no problem. You don't have to contact their schools. They (or anybody) are free to work wherever they want.